Google Chrome not updating from Play Store

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Not able to update Chrome (and something called Android System WebView) from the Google Play Store. I get a notification, then Tap on the UPDATE thing, and nothing happens. Others work fine...started with this a couple of days ago. Seen a few random posts here and there...happening to anyone else, or just a fluke, maybe, and it will correct itself...? Tried disabling, rebooting, and then re-able, but no difference. Never happened before...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Settings>Apps, select Google Play Store, tap Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager -- you probably have to tap Menu>Show System to see it. Now try again.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Try going to Settings>Apps, select Google Play Store, tap Storage, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager -- you probably have to tap Menu>Show System to see it. Now try again.

Did all. Only difference is...Android WebView no longer appears in the list to be updated, but Chrome still does, but there is no response when I push the UPDATE. At this point, I"m inclined to wait until there is another CHROME update and see if it works at that point...I did check and it seems that my system is on the current version, which shows as 85.0.4183.81.

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My Samsung S5e tablet did the same thing for the 2nd time. Cleared the cache in recovery menu and rebooted my router and it finally updated.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
My Samsung S5e tablet did the same thing for the 2nd time. Cleared the cache in recovery menu and rebooted my router and it finally updated.

Well, not sure what happened here, but I did as 1eyejack recommended, rebooted and both of the items that were asking for UPDATE have disappeared from the Updates Pending list. Maybe they really DIDN'T have any updates. But the problem seems solved, at least for now. Thanks to all for the advice.

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Well, not sure what happened here, but I did as 1eyejack recommended, rebooted and both of the items that were asking for UPDATE have disappeared from the Updates Pending list. Maybe they really DIDN'T have any updates. But the problem seems solved, at least for now. Thanks to all for the advice.
They should show back up if they are not showing as updated.

If and when they show up, toggle each, one at a time with the Android Systems app being the first toggle.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
They should show back up if they are not showing as updated.

If and when they show up, toggle each, one at a time with the Android Systems app being the first toggle.

You are correct...they both showed up today, along with 4 or 5 others that needed to be updated. The others all updated correctly, but still no response for Chrome or AndroidWebView. Also, I was not notified of the other needed updates - I found them by going into the Google Play app. I'm getting annoyed, and wondering if I should delete and re-install...

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Try clearing the system cache in the Recovery menu, reboot and then go to the Playstore to see if Chrome and Android Web View are there with updates. If they are do not press update all. Update them one at a time with Android Web View first. Update Chrome next.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Try clearing the system cache in the Recovery menu, reboot and then go to the Playstore to see if Chrome and Android Web View are there with updates. If they are do not press update all. Update them one at a time with Android Web View first. Update Chrome next.

Did that yesterday...they disappeared from the UPDATE list, but returned today and still would not update.

757Dave

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Been this way for almost 2 weeks. Have tried everything suggested here and still not able to update these 2 apps. Everything else updates correctly.

Also, apps not updating automatically even though that is the selection. I do get a notification that there are x number of apps that are ready to update.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Been this way for almost 2 weeks. Have tried everything suggested here and still not able to update these 2 apps. Everything else updates correctly.

Also, apps not updating automatically even though that is the selection. I do get a notification that there are x number of apps that are ready to update.

No offense to any of the fine plausible suggestions here, but I have tried several other suggestions from other forums (this seems to be a running problem, with several variances), and nothing seems to work. I've spent a lot of time the past couple of days on this - this, with a large Neflix queue just waiting for me.
My apps are also not updating automatically, and I no longer seem to be getting the notifications of awaiting updates. Obviously, a Google bug, as the two apps apparently dependent on each other. Many, many similar postings on the Google Chrome and WebView app reviews on Google play, and nothing but standard generic replies from Google. So, I'm wondering, will this fix itself? If not, what's left to do. other than perhaps doing a factory reset, which I really don't want to do, as everything else seems to be working fine...?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you all tried updating in Safe Mode as well, or does it not allow you to update apps in Safe Mode? (I've never tried that myself.)

What if you uninstall all updates to Chrome and Android System Webview first, then try to update?

Another thing to try is to remove your Google account from the phone, then add it back.

hybucket

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Have you all tried updating in Safe Mode as well, or does it not allow you to update apps in Safe Mode? (I've never tried that myself.)

What if you uninstall all updates to Chrome and Android System Webview first, then try to update?

Another thing to try is to remove your Google account from the phone, then add it back.

According to Samsung, Safe Mode disables all apps installed from Google Play, so that wouldn't work.
I don't know about all phones, but mine will not allow updates to be removed from WebView, nor can you remove it. You can disable and force stop, but that's about it.
You can uninstall updates to Chrome, but, in that case, wouldn't it be the same as uninstalling and then re-installing it? Actually, I would be concerned that, in either of those two scenarios, would I even be able to re-install it...?
Removing my Google account and adding it back would be a fantastic amount of work, I would think, having to re-enter all my Google info.