Notification LED on S10?

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
The main advantage of an LED notification (for me) is I can see it from a distance. You can't with the AOD. I'm not weeping over its departure, but if I had a choice, I would choose to have it back.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

x100. As part of the generation that doesn't have their phone glued to their hand 24/7, the led is definitely more visible if your phone is on your desk, table, etc. AOD is one of my favorite features but you really have to look at it directly to distinguish one notification from another.

Also, my recollection was that some apps could color the notifications on the AOD. Textra for instance. I think an Android or Samsung update somewhere along the way did away with that.

Ninjarette

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Yep. My work doesn't allow me to have my phone in my hand all the time. So, the ability to glance over and see a notification light that may possibly be attached to something important is...important. The AOD is nice, but it's not the best replacement YET. Someone mentioned earlier that it needs some work...and it does.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I love notification lights, but AOD has swayed me. The s10 AOD is beautiful and I'll clearly be able to see if I have a notification. It also seems like different colors show for notifications, which will help a lot. Still prefer the light, but AOD is a decent replacement.

Wish I would of played with the phone more when I was in Best Buy. I just looked at wallpaper backgrounds and was changing them around and taking pictures. LOL! I didn't notice the AOD but the more I am reading I just can't wait for this phone.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried in 15 apps and no options
Me personally, I use Textra for texting, and BlackBerry Hub+ for emails.

Both apps can set the LED color. Someone above mentioned my exact same color scheme. I can set different colors for different email accounts in the Hub, green for work, and blue for home. And texts are purple. Since most of my texts are from my wife, I know it's almost always her.

I don't set the LED for any other notifications.

I tried one of the dedicated LED apps, but didn't care for it. Just the default works well enough for me.

This is on an S9, and had this on an S8 before that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Me personally, I use Textra for texting, and BlackBerry Hub+ for emails.

Both apps can set the LED color. Someone above mentioned my exact same color scheme. I can set different colors for different email accounts in the Hub, green for work, and blue for home. And texts are purple. Since most of my texts are from my wife, I know it's almost always her.

I don't set the LED for any other notifications.

I tried one of the dedicated LED apps, but didn't care for it. Just the default works well enough for me.

This is on an S9, and had this on an S8 before that.

Are you on Pie or Oreo?

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So you can still do this on pie ?
Yes. In the BlackBerry Hub, it can set the account LED color only when you first set up the account. You can't change it after the fact. You have to delete and re-create the account if you want a different color.

Textra allows you to change it any time.

Screenshot_20190224-125935_Textra.jpeg

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No, it shows me all information. Discord notices
Facebook
PayPal
Weather
Twitter
Samsung Health
Etc

Hidden within the 3 icons and +X are specific notifications that might be more important than others.

Text messages
Facebook messenger
Calendar events

The led let me know if these vip notifications were buried in with the others.

Is this new with Pie, or are you confusing AOD with the lock screen? My AOD notifications on my S7 changed when Nougat was installed.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes. In the BlackBerry Hub, it can set the account LED color only when you first set up the account. You can't change it after the fact. You have to delete and re-create the account if you want a different color.

Textra allows you to change it any time.

View attachment 298599
Yes, I use BlackBerry HUB also. But many email clients let you set the color per account. BlueMail, and Nine Mail do too.Screenshot_20190224-143031_BlueMail.jpegScreenshot_20190224-143117_Nine.jpeg

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Is this new with Pie, or are you confusing AOD with the lock screen? My AOD notifications on my S7 changed when Nougat was installed.

The new lockscreen works the same way, instead of having an entire notification list. It's a little bubble under the time. You can't see the actual notifications until you click on it