4k 10 minute limit... is that still a thing?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Hey guys, coming from a Galaxy S8 there is a 4K time limit no I don't know if that is due to the Heat or the Snapdragon of this phone

Does the S10 have a 4k recording time limit as well?

I was under the impression this was due to two reasons: the file storage system and to prevent unexpected shutdown from heat.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You seem to be confused. Storage is where the video is written too. RAM/Memory it is not. Memory is not used for video storage. It is used for running the O/S, and applications in the background/foreground
Until smartphones came out and someone started using "memory" to mean "storage" ... and it stuck. I'm pretty sure that most of us who come from the computer world cringe every time someone talks about apps installed to "memory", but that's the cellphone industry now, so we have to live with it. (95% of smartphone users aren't even aware that they're running a Linux computer with a Java runtime named Dalvik - or Android. And backup? What's that? [Cringe.])

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
It's amazing to me how off topic this thread went.

If you didn't know the answer there was no need to reply

It's very simple. Is there still a 10 minute 4k video recording limit?

seriously not that hard guys

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to a forum. You don't get to dictate what's discussed here. Considering no one has this device yet, this question is premature. People answered it from their experience with other Samsung devices.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I think it went a tad off topic from simple confusion. People are allowed to post. We don't lock them down to only specific responses here so yeah ;).

You kinda have to remember you are asking people about a phone that literally no one but reviewers have yet so there will be various discussion about it.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say yes it will still have a recording limit. 10 Mins at the least or mayber more but not much. This is an android software limitation and a SOC limitation which is a problem because of how many android manufactures use the software. Since Google makes it generic to cover all phones their is no tight integration between software and hardware, like on the Apple side. The snapdragon is just taxed to much and will heat up, you don't want that going on for to long. Also a faster storage controller would do wonders in this regard.

I think back to also when Samsung exynos soc didn't have the same limitation because they could tailor it more to the chipset which was their own.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I used Seagate's storage calculator to find out how much a 4k video set to 30 FPS would take. 170.85 GB. That's a lot. Now, I don't know the exact specs for the Samsung camera, and I will provide the link for what I used, but I set the list like this: Cameras: 1, FPS: 30 (that was the max), Hours per day: 1, Days stored: 1, Resolution: 8MP/4K, Quality: High (I assumed this would be the quality on the Samsung camera).

https://www.seagate.com/video-storage-calculator/

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
To the OP, unfortunately Samsung has not posted the time limit specs regarding the S10 so no one knows; they can only guess based on past products. I found these stats for the Note 9 and would assume the S10 stats will be very similar if not the same:

3840 x 2160, 60fps: 5 minute limit
3840 x 2160, 30fps: 10 minute limit
2560 x 1440, 30fps: no limit
1920 x 1080, 60fps: 10 minute limit
1920 x 1080, 30fps: no limit
2224 x 1080, 30fps: no limit
1440 x 1440, 30fps: no limit
1280 x 720, 30fps: no limit

4K video is awesome but it is very taxing on the processor and generates heat quite easily. With no venting there are typically set time limits to protect the hardware from being damaged.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
To the OP, unfortunately Samsung has not posted the time limit specs regarding the S10 so no one knows; they can only guess based on past products. I found these stats for the Note 9 and would assume the S10 stats will be very similar if not the same:

3840 x 2160, 60fps: 5 minute limit
3840 x 2160, 30fps: 10 minute limit
2560 x 1440, 30fps: no limit
1920 x 1080, 60fps: 10 minute limit
1920 x 1080, 30fps: no limit
2224 x 1080, 30fps: no limit
1440 x 1440, 30fps: no limit
1280 x 720, 30fps: no limit

4K video is awesome but it is very taxing on the processor and generates heat quite easily. With no venting there are typically set time limits to protect the hardware from being damaged.
Thanks for info. Looks like anything with 60 fps have limits.

rolexreviews

Feb 23, 2019
Visit site
got an update for you all

just walked out of BestBuy and played with the demo units there seems to be no limitation on 4K recording

this is for both 30fps and 60fps

rear and front cameras tested no limit from what I've seen on the S10e but I imagine all the S10 variants don't have the limit

but to my surprise having something in the way of the display is a deal-breaker to me as of right now. having the status bar being extra large to accommodate for the whole punch is just too much in my opinion.

I honestly thought and hoped this would be better than the notch but it isn't it's actually a little worse than the teardrop notch we've seen from a few manufacturers

and the phones look a lot better in pictures than in person with all thr fingerprints on them.

was really hoping to upgrade my phone this year but I guess I'll wait and see if someone makes a stock Android pop up camera phone that I like

hc_blacki

Feb 27, 2019
Visit site
Hello and welcome. I preorder a S10 Plus and today i chat wit the german samsung support. I ask them " Its right that there is a 10 minutes time limitation for 4k60fps video recording"?
Answer was "YES".

Now im confused.
What happens after that 10 minutes recording?
How is the break?

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
The issue isn't the file size, it's heat management of the processor.

Actually technically he is right in the world of computers with fat32 you can’t go any larger than 4gb. So it has to break it down. That may have been the reason before or not I am not sure. Do you have proof of it being heat management because I haven’t seen anything documented of that?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually technically he is right in the world of computers with fat32 you can’t go any larger than 4gb. So it has to break it down. That may have been the reason before or not I am not sure. Do you have proof of it being heat management because I haven’t seen anything documented of that?

I don't think that would be the issue. That is a very old analogy and file systems have matured a lot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
razpie