Excited for S10 but nervous to leave iMessage

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I dont know a single person who doesnt use whatsapp. All my friends and family have iphones and no one uses imessage. Never even heard someone ever talk to me about imessage.

As Ry said, it must be a regional thing! I know exact two people on this planet that use it by choice, and both don't regularly. One worked across Asia for Dell and the other visits family in Spain at least once a year. Many/most people there use it. While neither Apple or the USA represent the world, I can tell you for certain that iPhone users who don't need to message internationally use iMessage 100% of the time and never use anything else.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You're at a birthday party or kids soccer game and take a picture or video. iPhone users press two buttons to send and move on.

Let's see...I have to upload to Google photos or Amazon or ??. Wait for it to upload or force it to upload most of the time if you want it instantly - especially if you're not using wifi. Go into that app, find it, permission it, and send a link to the other person. Also, they may have fixed it since, but not that long ago, if you tried it with Google photos, the recipient had to have a Google account - which most Apple users don't.

I'm not saying it won't work, but getting a pict or video via your messaging app is alot more convenient than sending links to people and I am a dedicated Android user. As I said, I can force the wife and daughter to use WhatsApp when I need to send them something and honestly don't lose too much sleep over not sending more than a single picture to other people.

Thanks for clarifying, I haven't experienced any issues and the process has been simplified a bit in Google photos. I have the best of both worlds since work forces iPhones on us. I'm good on either system.

kimdushinski

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chickweedblur! I had forgotten that was the process to send photos without iMessage. I do that all the time!

Despite the many enticing features of the S10, I will likely stick with Apple and get the XS.

Busted51

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
i know another benefit to imessage is when my GF goes out into farm country where no signal exists she’s still able to text over wifi or even facetime.. but i suppose whatsapp would achieve the same results..

either way i’m still trading in my note 8 for the 10+

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
If I don't use Google Photos then I use FB Messenger. Most of my family and friends are on FB. I literally only text 2 people who are not on FB. Well, I text coworkers too.

Mushkie11

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
If I don't use Google Photos then I use FB Messenger. Most of my family and friends are on FB. I literally only text 2 people who are not on FB. Well, I text coworkers too.

Ya this makes sense. I mean I send a lot of video of golf swings and my teacher has iPhone.I will just ask that the swing videos are sent over FB Messaging. That should fix the issue ya?

Gix1k

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Ugh...I am in the same boat. iMessage will be missed so much. I don't send many videos, but all of my family are iPhone users and the silly stuff you can do with iMessage is just great. The effects and stuff. There's just no replacement. I was using Google Messages and it got better with the introduction of being able to use a PC to send and receive. I really really hope Apple makes that a cross platform app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was a very happy Android user until two years ago when I got my iPhone 6s. I'm now seriously considering getting the S10 - and quite excited about it for a variety of reasons. Pretty much the only reason I want to stay with iPhone is for iMessage.

Has anybody made the switch and offer any advice about giving up iMessage?

I found this on my news feed
https://airmessage.org

omelet1978

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks chickweedblur! I had forgotten that was the process to send photos without iMessage. I do that all the time!

Despite the many enticing features of the S10, I will likely stick with Apple and get the XS.

I’ve used Textra on my old Galaxy S9 which is a really good and intuitive SMS thing that allows for group messaging. I have Verizon messages as well and can use that on my laptop.

iMessage is superior by the way. However, that one program probably doesn’t warrant you sticking around or going. I had Galaxy phone for years and they are nice too.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I had this same fear when I took the leap with the note 9. I needed a device that would be able to keep up with my schedule and my iPhone just seemed to take longer to do things, even with all of that real estate on the plus variants at the time (no split screen like the iPad currently does, no multi-windows, etc.). But my friends love iMessage and I had about 3 or 4 active group chats. Once I started using the note, I slowly got over it. My "main" group text moved over to facebook messenger (I told them that they'd save space on their phones if we leave imessage LOL), and now that I use Google Messages, I can type to everyone from my computer

To add, I still have an iPad that works great......and I never use it. Like ever. I have my chromebook and my phone and I don't have the urge to use my iPad. I'll have to create a use for it like a remote for the house or an e-reader, but I say this to say you'll find a way to move on more than likely

TheGeekNextDoor

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
In our family, we have a GroupMe conversation setup. We post videos and photos in there because 2 of us are on android, and the other 3 are on iOS. Since I'm the one posting videos to the rest of the family, it is easy to force groupme. I am jealous of how amazingly simple it is to send and receive videos in iMessage, but both members have to be on iOS, or that video looks like crap on the other end.

My family has learned that photos are fine via MMS, but videos should be sent through groupme. I also do a lot of sharing of photos through google photos. Then I don't have to actually send them. They are always backed up there, and I just share via google photos and don't waste my bandwidth a second time.

Based on the percentages, you would think only half of your friends would have iPhones...you would be wrong. 90% of the people I know have iPhones. It is just too easy to use, and it doesn't change much from year to year. I hate that. I love that my android phone from Samsung is going to be different every few years with a newly designed interface...I love being able to change the launcher or messenger or pretty much any default app to whatever the heck I want. It's good to be android.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Conversations like this always make me laugh. Staying with the iPhone ONLY because of iMessage, even though you came to the realization that the Android phone you want is far better in most ways, is just a crazy argument, and people should seek help. There are plenty of good shrinks out there. :)

That being said. I always wonder why people flock to WhatsApp so much and no one really ever mentions Viber. When my friend moved to Brazil, we tried many chat programs and decided that Viber was the best of the bunch. The interface is nice, and the call and video quality are vastly better in Viber than in WhatsApp.

Personally I like Viber better, but when you read articles online which review different chat programs, they never seem to mention Viber for some reason. I always wondered why.

WizeGuyDezignz

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Conversations like this always make me laugh. Staying with the iPhone ONLY because of iMessage, even though you came to the realization that the Android phone you want is far better in most ways, is just a crazy argument, and people should seek help. There are plenty of good shrinks out there. :)

That being said. I always wonder why people flock to WhatsApp so much and no one really ever mentions Viber. When my friend moved to Brazil, we tried many chat programs and decided that Viber was the best of the bunch. The interface is nice, and the call and video quality are vastly better in Viber than in WhatsApp.

Personally I like Viber better, but when you read articles online which review different chat programs, they never seem to mention Viber for some reason. I always wondered why.

I think it's one of those cases where it's what they're used to and they don't want to try anything new.

Just like those people with Nova launcher when there are better launchers out there. They are stuck in their ways.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow... I just read thru all this and really I'm kinda floored. Now I've never owned an iPhone so admittedly I'm bias but I've never had an issue sending it receiving photos or videos. With all the Google services you can send almost anything from almost any app. Somewhere in the comments in 50's someone starts professing their love for WhatsApp. I've never used it either so I went and looked at it and didn't see anything super special about it but I'm going to get it and try it see if there's anything to all this love. I'm just blown away by, one how many people think iMessage is the only good thing about iPhone, two that it's a setting enough love that it would hold you to a device and three how furious people on both sides get over messaging or any mention that, two things that do the same thing, might have some competition.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
So I just wanted to chime in since I just got an S10+ coming from an iPhone XS.

I too am ok of those people kinda feeling left out with the whole iMessage thing and I wanted to share why.

My entire immediate family are ALL on iPhones including the folks add in about 95% of my immediate circle of friends.

This means that things like group messaging and direct messaging bring a sleeping of benefits such as:

- WiFi messaging
- Full resolution video
- Audio messages
- 3rd party App specific sharing
- Ability to handle group naming for all parties invited to the group
- Chat actions like being able to have multiple people in a group chat be able to thumbs up a single response from a group member
- utilize icloud which will auto group collections of video and or photos
- send money to a friend via apple pay
- share detailed web site links
- high speed transfer rates
- sharing large videos are sent in seconds not minutes
- create new contacts and FaceTime from chat
- keep image sharing history for the life of a chat thread eg: click on button and see every image a friend has shared with you for full the life of a chat

This is just a off the cuff list of the things you can do and it doesn't require anything other than the default app that tons of people already have on their phones, the sheer convenience of it makes it undeniable.

Whole what's app can do much of this it requires a 3rd party app to be installed, registered, configured etc etc and that can just get in the way seeing as iPhones just do it out of the box with no hassle.

There really is much more but you get the idea, I'm Android you get used to using different apps and workflows but apple does a good job of getting that out of the way and it just works.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
So I just wanted to chime in since I just got an S10+ coming from an iPhone XS.

I too am ok of those people kinda feeling left out with the whole iMessage thing and I wanted to share why.

My entire immediate family are ALL on iPhones including the folks add in about 95% of my immediate circle of friends.

This means that things like group messaging and direct messaging bring a sleeping of benefits such as:

- WiFi messaging
- Full resolution video
- Audio messages
- 3rd party App specific sharing
- Ability to handle group naming for all parties invited to the group
- Chat actions like being able to have multiple people in a group chat be able to thumbs up a single response from a group member
- utilize icloud which will auto group collections of video and or photos
- send money to a friend via apple pay
- share detailed web site links
- high speed transfer rates
- sharing large videos are sent in seconds not minutes
- create new contacts and FaceTime from chat
- keep image sharing history for the life of a chat thread eg: click on button and see every image a friend has shared with you for full the life of a chat

This is just a off the cuff list of the things you can do and it doesn't require anything other than the default app that tons of people already have on their phones, the sheer convenience of it makes it undeniable.

Whole what's app can do much of this it requires a 3rd party app to be installed, registered, configured etc etc and that can just get in the way seeing as iPhones just do it out of the box with no hassle.

There really is much more but you get the idea, I'm Android you get used to using different apps and workflows but apple does a good job of getting that out of the way and it just works.
WhatsApp.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes we all get that what's app does most of this but as silly as this sounds having to ask every one you regularly text with install it and register an account and then use said app just for you is an annoyance considering for every one else all those things just happen.

So you are essentially asking your friends to now need to use iMessage for like 99% if their texting and then use a. Third party app for you.

Outside of the United States what's app is huge but in the states it's no where near as used .

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes we all get that what's app does most of this but as silly as this sounds having to ask every one you regularly text with install it and register an account and then use said app just for you is an annoyance considering for every one else all those things just happen.

They don't have to use it daily. They just simply have to have it installed so when others who DON'T have imessage, can get in touch with them. Its very simple but Apple users are a whole different breed of individuals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87