Any tips on how to keep the phone from unlocking when in pocket?

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I always make sure that the screen is off when I pocket my phone. I have also made sure that I do not have it set to remain unlocked while in motion.

I had similar issues with my S8+, but it seems worse with the S10+. Every time I walk anywhere, I manage to change settings, dial the phone, take a large number of screenshots, and open webpages that are not what I normally would visit.

I do have the smart lock set to unlock at home, but I experience this both near my home and away.

I even managed to download an app earlier today.

Any tips on keeping the phone locked while in my pocket?

Ecm

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try this. Go to Settings > Display and activate "Accidental Touch Prevention". It made a difference for me.

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and have the accidental touch protection turned on. I've found various settings changed including ones which are buried several menu layers deep. I don't have the phone set to stay unlocked for any conditions.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There's several threads on the forums here about this issue. This is my only gripe about the phone. It's almost like the "prevent accidental touch" setting isn't working. Other than that, I love this phone.

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I think there is a problem with the proximity sensor.
I tested the S10+ next to my S9+ and the 10's screen did not go off as it is supposed to after covering the top section with a blanket to duplicate it in a pocket.
The 9's screen went off correctly.

Mav. :cool:

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This has happened to me to and I think the double tap to open could be the cause so I disabled it and have not had any issues

I do like the double tap so now I'm going to activate it but disabling camera and phone from lock screen and I'll see how that goes

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This has happened to me to and I think the double tap to open could be the cause so I disabled it and have not had any issues

I do like the double tap so now I'm going to activate it but disabling camera and phone from lock screen and I'll see how that goes

We shouldn't have to disable "double tap to wake screen". When the phone is in our pocket, the proximity sensor should register this and disable the feature automatically. Then when the phone is removed from your pocket "double tap" is then enabled.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
We shouldn't have to disable "double tap to wake screen". When the phone is in our pocket, the proximity sensor should register this and disable the feature automatically. Then when the phone is removed from your pocket "double tap" is then enabled.

I agree but is it a coincidence it was always either the phone or camera that was activated, I'm guessing it came from the lock screen

Unless as I put it in my pocket I touch the screen twice by accident which is possible lol

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my phone to arrive, I'm really chomping at the bit to get it with all the great reviews, anyway I had similar issues with another device and started putting them in my pocket face out. Any bit of moisture seems to be enough to conduct thru the thin material of a pocket. Of course you then have to be conscious of pressing your thigh against things or laying on it but especially with a device like this where the front and back are glass it's kinda 6 one way half a dozen the other.

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site

I had it set to accidental touch protection yet left on double tap to wake.. I noticed yesterday at work that my screen was still activating while in my pocket.. My battery usage also dropped to 69% by noon with minimal usage! I have to assume it was a result of this...

I'll be trying with Double Tap To Wake turned off today.. I hear you about proximity sensors. Maybe that's where to flaw lies, maybe it's the Fingerprint Reader.... I'll find out today! :cool:

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Removing the buttons from the home screen didn't help. I tried to post a bunch of gibberish to a dozen people in Slack, fortunately, I was able to set the phone to airplane mode while walking, so it didn't send.

I have now turned off lift to wake and double tap to turn on the screen. Accidental touch protection has been on.

msm0511, I'm guessing no. I've had this in the S6, S8+ and now the S10+. I don't remember having this issue in the S4, but it was the S4 or S6 I made calls to Asia and 911 while mowing my yard.

Change

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just set your phone to a secure method. Require FPS, or PIN/Pattern to unlock it. Nothing accidental will happen in your pocket. Your thigh can't possibly unlock your phone by one of those methods.

cmybliss

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Definitely looks like there’s something going on with the proximity sensor. I did find an accessibility feature that might help though.
Settings>Accessibility>Interaction and dexterity>ignore repeated touches.

From there you can set a time in which to ignore multiple touches. Not sure if it’ll help, but worth a shot.

tcdude

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Definitely looks like there’s something going on with the proximity sensor. I did find an accessibility feature that might help though.
Settings>Accessibility>Interaction and dexterity>ignore repeated touches.

From there you can set a time in which to ignore multiple touches. Not sure if it’ll help, but worth a shot.

I just may try this, removing camera and phone from my lockscreen helps only because it can't open anything but it still lights up and vibrates I imagine because the fps is rejecting the touches in my pocket

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine is suddenly sucking with this. Got the phone Sunday, problem didn't start til Friday. I removed the apps from the lock screen and turned off the increased screen sensitivity that I had enabled, but still no go. This is the first time I've ever had this in all of my Galaxy phones. Yesterday it kept opening my texting app and typing random stuff to several people. Today it opened some different apps. It's odd that it just suddenly started doing it after 6 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty