Why are my Gmail notifications no longer working on Galaxy S10?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

CWinkler

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I don't remember if this was addressed before or not, and short on time to read through all previous posts right now ... but there's a Gmail account setting that can be checked or not for "notify for every message" ... it's in Inbox notifications under Gmail settings for a specific account (not General settings).

VLauricella

Jun 12, 2019
Visit site
Very strange

Hey guys...I was having the same issue and realized something very simple was behind it (in my case at least). I tried everything else mentioned in this thread, but the issue was that background data was somehow switched off for Gmail.

Settings > Apps > Gmail > Mobile Data > Allow background data usage

I'm not sure how it got switched off for me, maybe accidentally in my pocket, but as soon as I toggled this setting, my emails popped up as notifications and I tested and verified new emails showing up as notifications instantly like they used to.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys...I was having the same issue and realized something very simple was behind it (in my case at least). I tried everything else mentioned in this thread, but the issue was that background data was somehow switched off for Gmail.

I'm not sure how it got switched off for me, maybe accidentally in my pocket, but as soon as I toggled this setting, my emails popped up as notifications and I tested and verified new emails showing up as notifications instantly like they used to.
I'm glad yours is working, hopefully can help others also.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site

Mines on. :(

7f3c536912df200f71691d9957d4d0f9.jpg

snakeyes1000

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
I had this problem after I got the may update this morning. It has happen before but all I had to do was restart my phone. This was not the case this morning however. So I did some searching on the Google machine, and found something. I did what it said on this forum and it started to work and notify me again.

I just received an E-mail and it notified me. So I hope it continues.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...ceiving-GMail-notifications/m-p/619506#M21333

It worked! **** OPTIMIZATION!!!

Thank you so much. Why all the sudden it caused notifications to stop is very annoying.

bulldoza99

Jul 26, 2019
Visit site
Here is the fix that worked for me!

I have had the same issue for over 3 months - S10 with latest updates.
The fix i found was uninstall the updates on gmail - reinstall them and reset up the gmail app with your account.
Fixed it immediately - obviously tried the notifications settings, data saver, power saver and the rest. This was the only thing that fixed it.

anon(5519702)

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
So, I might have sorta fixed this issue on my phone. I turned on the "Notification Reminder" then selected "Selected apps" and shut off all the apps except for Gmail. I am now getting the notifications and not just at the 10 minute intervals, but as soon as I get a new email. I have no clue if this just fixed itself somehow or if this made a difference. You might try that and see what happens. With that being said...I'm not thrilled if this is the only solution.

I've just read through this whole thread and checked the settings on my S10+. All were already as per the suggested configurations, except for the suggestion quoted here. Once I set the Notification Reminders, the Gmail notifications started popping up.

What was weird for me, is that I have two accounts on my phone, one would send notifications, the other wouldn't. It was my main account that was not notifying.

Thanks cfellswu.

AndroidSamsungGuy

Oct 21, 2019
Visit site
This issue is finally solved for me, after 2 months, several factory resets, going through every fix listed here, regularly clearing partition cache, etc, etc.

For me, it was linked to Google One backups somehow, I was maxed on storage and paying for a larger storage plan to handle images seemed to fix this. I'd be interested to here if anyone else experiences this fix