If iMessages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
That's all I hear from iPhone sufferers - "I can't live without iMessages." Whatever it does could easily be copied by Android Messages I would think. Why does Android continue to cede this advantage to Apple?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: If I Messages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

That's all I hear from iPhone sufferers - "I can't live without iMessages." Whatever it does could easily be copied by Android Messages I would think. Why does Android continue to cede this advantage to Apple?

honestly it depends on a persons preference.for me i only use Message for bank texts...the rest is Whatsapp...

Mend07

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: If I Messages is so great why can't Android Messages just copy its functionality?

honestly it depends on a persons preference.for me i only use Message for bank texts...the rest is Whatsapp...

Can you explain to me what's the hype of using WhatsApp and not fully the stock Samsung messages? I mean I get the addiction of using iMessage because I was once a iPhone user myself.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Can you explain to me what's the hype of using WhatsApp and not fully the stock Samsung messages? I mean I get the addiction of using iMessage because I was once a iPhone user myself.

erm stock messages is sent as text and mms and i cant make family groups in messages.but in Whatsapp i could make groups.share photos and videos...

Whatsapp is more like iMessage rather than Samsung Messages...

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Could we please stick to the subject of the OP? That is (1) what's so special about iMessages and (2) whatever it is, why can't Android Messages just include those functionalities in their app?
Thank you.

Jesus Delgadillo

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Actually Samsung messages app does have the "read" and typing function on its app if you're texting within Samungs. What other functionalities are you referring to?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

So iMessage is basically Messenger?

I also have an iPhone XS and even before I didn't get the fuss over it. "I can't live without it."

Messenger works for me on both.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Even if they copied Apple it wouldn't be compatible with iMessage. They are rolling out RCS which is similar, it's a slow process to get everyone on board.

Apple_No_More

Apr 16, 2019
Visit site

iMessage (and the 'ecosystem') were the only thing holding me back from going Android.

I made the jump and just use WhatsApp for messaging, messages is generally just for verification messages at this stage for me.

I didn't realise how often WhatsApp have server problems, maybe there's just been a few more than usual recently but sometimes think maybe this isn't the solution!

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Whatsapp is the best alternative to iMessage on Android. Using Messanger or any SMS/MMS client, ive experienced while group text works in most cases with my friends on iOS, some cheaper carriers dont fully support it and causes disruption (some ppl get messages, others dont). Also, video and picture quality of MMS in most cases is horrible...iMessage and Whatsapp retain much more of the quality, less compression.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

RCS will close the gap. Getting carriers to go along with it is a whole different ball game.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

The reason why people use WhatsApp or kakao talk besides SMS is usually because we have family overseas that we like to keep in touch with. Not always the case but a big reason for using these chat apps.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Every time I see people rave about WhatsApp, it makes me wonder why no one ever tries Viber?

In "my opinion", I think Viber is much better, plus the call and video quality is way better than WhatsApp, not to mention the fact that WhatsApp is owned by Facebook.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Every time I see people rave about WhatsApp, it makes me wonder why no one ever tries Viber?

In "my opinion", I think Viber is much better, plus the call and video quality is way better than WhatsApp, not to mention the fact that WhatsApp is owned by Facebook.

I think it depends on country. I think one of my cousins overseas had Viber and it was fine. Viber is pretty popular in some countries but not all. Most of my relatives use FB messenger for calls. I guess for convenience but I don't know why.

I only text on Whatsapp because I have a group chat w/a cousin that has an Iphone in another country. It's the only way they can text us for free. It was the app we all agreed to. I don't use Whatsapp for calls so I can't speak on that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

They could. Google fully could have gone and done this but they haven't. Instead they run around making 40 messaging apps and then randomly killing them off. Google can't figure it out.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site

They could. Google fully could have gone and done this but they haven't. Instead they run around making 40 messaging apps and then randomly killing them off. Google can't figure it out.

Ditto. Google can easily do it. The reason why they don't is in their decision that if they did it, other companies like viber and WhatsApp and other SMS would die so that would hurt other companies. So they refrain from doing it just out of courtesy.

Apple on the hand doesn't give a sh** so they just build it and make it closed wall.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Ditto. Google can easily do it. The reason why they don't is in their decision that if they did it, other companies like viber and WhatsApp and other SMS would die so that would hurt other companies. So they refrain from doing it just out of courtesy.

Apple on the hand doesn't give a sh** so they just build it and make it closed wall.

I definitely don't agree. Google isn't doing it to keep the welfare of other apps going. They have zero investment in those apps so if they died off it wouldn't do anything to them personally.

Apple doesn't care because Apple never let people change messaging apps (for the default at least) anyway so it isn't like they doomed another app like you suggest Google is trying not to do.