How to turn off OK Google

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I can't seem to turn off OK Google after opening the Google app. I have Google Assistant turned off.

What am I missing?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to make sure we're on the same page -- open the Google app, tap More>Settings>Voice>Voice Match. You don't see options like Access with Voice Match, Lock screen personal results, While driving, etc.?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, and it's still activating? Try going to the Google app's settings menu again, and this time tap Google Assistant, tap the Assistant tab, scroll down and tap Phone, and turn off the Google Assistant toggle there.

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It is toggled to off.

For clarity, OK Google activates/listens only when I open the Google app and say OK Google.

I've wiped the cache partition in recovery and tried everything I can think of...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the issue that you just don't want it to listen at all? If it's only happening when you open the Google app, that should at least prevent the phone from accidentally opening Google Assistant when someone else says "OK Google," or if the phone thinks it hears OK Google.

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm not real keen on it listening at all. Don't recall it doing this before but maybe I just never noticed. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want a more definitive solution, you could turn off Microphone permission for the Google app, but that means you'd never be able to give a voice command using the Google app. I'm sure there are people who would doubt that turning off Microphone permission actually prevents the phone from listening, but to be honest, if that's a prime concern for a user, they may be better off avoiding smartphones in general.:-\

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Lol, can't avoid use of a smartphone as personal and business life convience would suffer.

Again, thanks for your assistance...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Lol, can't avoid use of a smartphone as personal and business life convience would suffer.

Again, thanks for your assistance...
You can go in settings , apps>tap 3 Dots >tap app permission>microphone and turn toggle off for the 4 Google services , see if that works for you.Screenshot_20190708-183654_Package%20installer.jpeg

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Considered that option but wouldn't be able to do any Google voice search at all. I prefer Google listen only when I choose by pressing the microphone icon in the search window. I'm afraid privacy is a construct of the past now days...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Considered that option but wouldn't be able to do any Google voice search at all. I prefer Google listen only when I choose by pressing the microphone icon in the search window. I'm afraid privacy is a construct of the past now days...
Ok go to Google discover, bottom more >settings>voice>voice match turn off , see if that works for you
I circled it 20190708_185859.jpeg

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Strange , works on my s10+ when I disabled it.
Indeed it is strange. My phone is the T-Mobile S10 purchased and activated at Costco and data transfered from my old reliable S6 via Samsung Smart Switch app. Maybe it's a quirk of the T-Mobile variant?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Indeed it is strange. My phone is the T-Mobile S10 purchased and activated at Costco and data transfered from my old reliable S6 via Samsung Smart Switch app. Maybe it's a quirk of the T-Mobile variant?
I'm on T-Mobile:)
Maybe something happened with the transfer from smart switch and carried over from s6 settings? Only way way find out is factory reset , hate for you to do that. But I've seen things like that happened.

1eyejack

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile:)
Maybe something happened with the transfer from smart switch and carried over from s6 settings? Only way way find out is factory reset , hate for you to do that. But I've seen things like that happened.
I had considered a factory reset briefly but don't want the hassle at this time.

As an aside, I only noticed the activity change of OK Google after the latest Android security update from T-Mobile as I don't recall it being active previously. Not using Bixby either and reprogrammed the Bixby button to open Gmail...