S10E - Accidentally deleted data from "my files" folder- please help!

snow_uk

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and looking for help.
I accidentally deleted data from my files on S10E phone last night. All photos and videos from the phone internal memory is lost.
Is there any way to recover it, preferably for free?

Thank you!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, forgot to mention
I did not have the recycle bin enabled and I don't have google photos options either
Slim chance of getting them back :)
Always have a back up , I use smart switch on pc ,Google photos/drive , and SD card for backups

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you tell us exactly how you deleted the files? Are you saying you deleted the folder called /DCIM/Camera?

Use My Files or any other file manager app to explore the phone's folder structure, looking specifically for /DCIM/Camera. Anything in there?

snow_uk

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you tell us exactly how you deleted the files? Are you saying you deleted the folder called /DCIM/Camera?

Use My Files or any other file manager app to explore the phone's folder structure, looking specifically for /DCIM/Camera. Anything in there?

Thanks for your reply.

I went into My files > internal storage > selected all file options and pressed delete.

I have lost all photos, videos, etc in the phone memory.

I previously did not have the recycle bin enabled in the my files sections, so have been unable to recover anything from that area.

I tried a variety of software yesterday to see if any of them are able to recover the deleted files and had any of them recovered any photos, I was going to upgrade, pay for it and get them recovered but none of the software worked

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main risk with rooting is the possibility of bricking your phone if you do it incorrectly, or if you install the wrong firmware. Some people also like to delete bloatware or system apps that they don't think are necessary, only to find that they actually are necessary.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you use Magisk to root, and don't flash the new boot file, just boot with it, it's a temporary root. But even if you root it "permanently" (you can always flash the unrooted boot file to remove root) Magisk won't harm anything. Just read this thread on XDA to see how it's done.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you use Magisk to root, and don't flash the new boot file, just boot with it, it's a temporary root. But even if you root it "permanently" (you can always flash the unrooted boot file to remove root) Magisk won't harm anything. Just read this thread on XDA to see how it's done.
That's if it's international version , if US going be harder if it's available.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Magisk is just modify the boot image and boot with the modified image, US or international or any other make. It's the same on all Android phones. (How you boot the image differs.)

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You don't need root to flash a custom recovery, you need an unlocked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash a custom recovery which allows you to flash a new boot or system image. Rooting gives access to the system files. Really wish people would learn the difference between the two.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You don't need root to flash a custom recovery, you need an unlocked bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash a custom recovery which allows you to flash a new boot or system image. Rooting gives access to the system files. Really wish people would learn the difference between the two.
You are correct