S10e negatives?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I have been looking for a new phone to upgrade to from LG V30 for awhile now and I am definitely looking into the S10 line. I recently picked up the S10e for my wife. After playing with it a bit, I have to say, I'm impressed. Definitely love the fact that there is another flagship Samsung phone with no curved screen.

Was just curious for you S10e owners, what are the negatives you have experienced? A lot of people seem to prefer the S10e over the regular S10 and even the S10 plus.

One thing I'm concerned with if I purchase the S10e is battery life. I am a heavy user. But being a flat screen, I suppose I could get a really good extended battery case with good protection. This is a common issue I have run into in the past due to the curved infinity screen. Companies don't seem to design battery cases with protection in mind.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone quite a bit but it's for work, at the end of the day I want nothing to do with it so maybe you're still messing with yours at that time. My battery life is outstanding, 40% at the end of the day, mostly non-WiFi run time. If I'm in a WiFi environment maybe 60%. However, I don't watch movies, vids, FaceCrook, etc. so maybe your results will be different.

In the end the smaller size, lack of curved screen, and overall performance makes it a joy to use (as much as being tethered to a device can be considered "joy") I think with Android 10 coming around and it's strict app management the performance will be even better.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is the only real negative, although the Snapdragon version is apparently better in that regard.

It's the best S10 in my opinion, that's why I bought it.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Another negative I'm seeing is it doesn't seem to have the best camera performance.. especially in low light. When I tried out the regular S10/plus at the store, they both looked great and really sharp. Anyone had issues with this?

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Low light performance is alright but night mode helped with improving that a bit.

If you are left handed or use your phone with your left hand, the fingerprint sensor might be annoying for unlocking. I'm used to it though.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Low light performance is alright but night mode helped with improving that a bit.

If you are left handed or use your phone with your left hand, the fingerprint sensor might be annoying for unlocking. I'm used to it though.

True, I've gotten used to it as well.

That's the problem with a question like this... Six months on I've either adapted to or found a way to fix most of my annoyances.

isabel95

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Right thumb perfect for this left hander

With my Speck case just about guided my thumb into the correct position recognition is almost instantaneous.

No problem at all using right hand for recognition.

My only issue with the phone is the camera. I find that like the Note 4 (my previous phone) and also every digital camera I've ever had, highlights will be blown out and featureless if I accept the automatic exposure chosen by the camera. I routinely lock in the exposure by a long press in the area I want to focus on and then move the exposure compensation slider (the one near the bottom) and slide it for a negative exposure. I've also turned off hdr and will only use it in a severely backlit situation. HDR processing yields images that are lacking contrast and saturation. In general I seem to see a lack of detail in higher ISO images.

Compared to my sluggish and dying Note 4 this phone soars in speed, especially since I turned off animations in developer mode.

I use night mode all the time which saves battery life and is much easier on my eyes. I have set the blue light filter to turn on at night since my eyes are very sensitive to bright light. Don't use the always on display because that's also a battery eater.

Many online sites recommend not charging the camera to 100%, but recommending charging up to 80% to save battery life. I am now taking off my case when I charge to help the heat to disperse, since that's a battery killer too.

It was nice being able to pop out the Note 4 battery and replacing it myself. Not featuring having to pay a premium to have a battery replaced, so I'm trying to make mine last as long as possible.

What do you all think about not charging to 100%

I don't use Bixby at all. Google Assistant does everything I need. One could go nuts testing out all the gimmicky features that may be fun for a while but are generally a pain to remember. Don't use gestures. They seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

True, I've gotten used to it as well.

That's the problem with a question like this... Six months on I've either adapted to or found a way to fix most of my annoyances.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing, we weren't talking about a problem using your right hand...

Only charging to 80% will prolong the life of your battery a little, not as much as some claim... Lithium ion cells degrade, it's unavoidable.

For me it's not worth the hassle of micro managing, i charge overnight. If you're planning to keep this phone for 5 or 6 years like you did the note 4 though, it might well be worth babying the battery.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My one major negative is Bixby and the Bixby button...
Minor gripes are the duplicate Samsung services and apps...

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Instead of hating on it as I have in the past, I actually gave it a good shot and I like some of the things it can do. It's better than Google Assistant at "phone" things, like settings and such. And the best thing I like about it is voice dialing numbers, it's almost flawless, almost.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Those aren't negatives with the S10e, regardless of how you or I feel about those "features" they exist across the whole S10 line.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Just started using Bixby again and it's not bad for what it is.

I feel like with Samsung, some people hate what they've been told to hate. It's the whole peer pressure thing.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking for a new phone to upgrade to from LG V30 for awhile now and I am definitely looking into the S10 line. I recently picked up the S10e for my wife. After playing with it a bit, I have to say, I'm impressed. Definitely love the fact that there is another flagship Samsung phone with no curved screen.

Was just curious for you S10e owners, what are the negatives you have experienced? A lot of people seem to prefer the S10e over the regular S10 and even the S10 plus.

One thing I'm concerned with if I purchase the S10e is battery life. I am a heavy user. But being a flat screen, I suppose I could get a really good extended battery case with good protection. This is a common issue I have run into in the past due to the curved infinity screen. Companies don't seem to design battery cases with protection in mind.

After comparing phones and watching reviews, the phone to get right now is the ZTE axon 10 pro. That is if you're on a gsm network. I currently have a LG V30 and still love it. But a friend bought the ZTE and it's unbelievable. He bought the 12gb ram, 256gb on board, sd slot, wireless charging, and the very latest internals. He got it for $600.00 at B&H. It's unbelievable.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Just started using Bixby again and it's not bad for what it is.

I feel like with Samsung, some people hate what they've been told to hate. It's the whole peer pressure thing.

Yep. The old classic argument of “Samsung is trash, bloatware, Bixby is useless etc” is simply false. 5 years ago it may have been true, but definitely not now.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep. The old classic argument of “Samsung is trash, bloatware, Bixby is useless etc” is simply false. 5 years ago it may have been true, but definitely not now.
5 years ago I wouldn't look at it. It may have gotten better sooner but I didn't touch it till One UI. It's not perfect but it's as good or better than others. I'm still not into Bixby but I probably haven't given it a fair enough run.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's the thing, we weren't talking about a problem using your right hand...

Only charging to 80% will prolong the life of your battery a little, not as much as some claim... Lithium ion cells degrade, it's unavoidable.

For me it's not worth the hassle of micro managing, i charge overnight. If you're planning to keep this phone for 5 or 6 years like you did the note 4 though, it might well be worth babying the battery.
Going forward I have a feeling 5 or 6 years with a device won't be sustainable even if you change out batteries.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I decided to bite the bullet and purchase one. Amazon currently has the factory unlocked Prism White version renewed for 370 total. No taxes. I was playing around with the one I got for my wife. Not too bad. I liked it. Definitely nice having dual speakers and a flat screen.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I love the s10e, I do wish it was a little bigger with no curved scren but it's not bad. I still get mad that I sold it for the note 10 small.

I dislike the note 10 look wise, too boxy and the curves suck but it's basically a little better internally than the s10e.

The s10e is a good all around phone WITH a headphone jack.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Yes I love the size of my V30 so I do wish the S10e was around the same size. Just a tad bit smaller. A 6 inch, flat display IMO is perfect. I read some rumors online that the next line of Samsung phones are going to be bigger including the S11e and this time around the e is going to have a curved screen. Oh goodie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87