Anyone upgrade from an S9 Plus???

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I have an S9 plus, and am wondering if anyone has went from that phone to an S20 here? Few of my questions and concerns are.

1. Can you use a glass screen protector with the fingerprint reader, and how is the facial recognition?

2. I have an S9 Plus, and was wondering if I should get the 20 plus, or the regular 20. The regular 20 seems to have the same screen size as my S9 plus?

3. I'm seeing quite a few complaints about the camera over sharpening and smoothing, something I'm used to with my S9+, but is the camera a huge upgrade over S9 series, or just minor?

4. For those using he 120 hz setting, is it killing your battery?

5. For those with the S9 and going to the 20, was it worth it, or just a minor upgrade?

Thanks for any help. They have the S20 at some pretty decent memorial day prices, so that's why I'm thinking of upgrading. My S9+ is still running fine, but I'm getting that 2 year itch.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi. The main difference between the S20 and S20+ is the type of 5G radios. The smaller S20 only has sub 6 type 5G. This is not much faster than LTE enhanced.

If you are future-proofing then the S20+ also contains the mmWave type 5G which has the insane speeds but is less common right now.

So it depends on how long you intend to use your new phone and how likely you are to use 5G.

Hope this helps.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I usually upgrade every 2 years, and live in a pretty rural area, so I don't really see 5G coming to this area anytime soon.

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I just upgraded from the s9 plus to the s20 plus and I love it battery lasts me all day with the s9 my battery was dead by 12pm the camera is awesome in my opinion and overall phone has been great I've had it since Sunday and I have a glass screen protector and it works great with the finger print scanner and also use face to unlock and it's snappy and quick with both.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just upgraded from the s9 plus to the s20 plus and I love it battery lasts me all day with the s9 my battery was dead by 12pm the camera is awesome in my opinion and overall phone has been great I've had it since Sunday and I have a glass screen protector and it works great with the finger print scanner and also use face to unlock and it's snappy and quick with both.
Thats a nice upgrade

rcab

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from S9+ to the Ultra and am loving it. I'm doing the 30% to 80% charging range and will only have to do a short charge once or twice a day to stay in the range. I bought the 512gb verson and it is snappy and I don't have to worry about storage. With the 9+ I was having storage problems with data and apps. My camera is ok because of the virus I'm not around the grandkids so don't have focus issues. I am happy with my T mobile locked phone

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Is the 20 plus a lot bigger than the S9 plus? One thing that is a little confusing is 9+ and 20 regular, seem to have the same size screens, 6.2. I think the 20 plus is like 6.7. I don't think I would want anything much bigger than than the 9+. I wish I could make it into a store to see them, but everything is on lock down.

missy8787

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
To me it's not much bigger I put my s9 plus over it to see how much bigger and it's slightly bigger but not by much

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Is the 20 plus a lot bigger than the S9 plus? One thing that is a little confusing is 9+ and 20 regular, seem to have the same size screens, 6.2. I think the 20 plus is like 6.7. I don't think I would want anything much bigger than than the 9+. I wish I could make it into a store to see them, but everything is on lock down.

It's just an all around more advanced device. You'll notice more power under the hood, and the display is freakin' gorgeous. I don't buy the few naysayers who insist the camera can't be improved with continued software updates. When you have the right conditions, it will take some impressive photos as is. The hardware is there, but the image processing isn't. That's something which can be fixed.

That having said, I don't expect Samsung to ever get it perfect, because that's one thing they have been screwing up since the 9 series, but the latest update that so many of us are waiting on brought continued improvements to AF.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Nice, Thanks for checking on the size. I guess the xtra half inch of screen size is where the s9's bezels are. Glad to see they are updating the camera also. I've always thought that Samsungs camera's were decent, but overated.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all of the help guys, but after going back and forth, I think I'm just going to stick with the S9+ for another year. Biggest reason is it's paid for, and my battery is actually still quite good. The camera doesn't seem that much better either. I just don't want to see a S20, because that 120hz seems like it could of swayed me. I guess it also says something good about Samsung that their 2 year old phones are still pretty good. Enjoy your S20's , they really do seem like a great phone.

kevlero

May 28, 2020
Visit site

Hi sorry about late reply just kind of stumbled in here, i had s9+ when it first came out,appart from battery its a really good phone camera, sound,picture quality all great. For them reasons its not worth the extra expensive upgrade to s20 + But......if the 120hz is a thing for you....sorry but it is freaking great !!! Everone on about drains the battery!! Dry your eyes it still lasts 10 times longer than my s9+. Also the most advanced camera in a phone to date....the 100×zoom crazy to think atiny camera can do such things. Record 8k video !!! 8ks needed but appart from

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm still going back and forth. S9+ is paid for, and I like that, but am really liking what I'm reading about the 120hz. I might just go with the regular S20 if I get it. The specs say it has a 6.2 inch screen, which is what the S9+ has, and that is fine for me.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I went from the regular S9 to the regular S20. They're almost the same size body wise, even if the S20 screen is a bit bigger. The change in aspect ratio makes the screen even taller than wide on the S20 vs the S9, so if you move to the regular S20 you'll probably feel a downgrade in terms of screen size.

You can use a glass screen protector with the fingerprint sensor, but you'll have to get good quality ones like a Whitestone.

I'm not that much into photography, but I think the camera is pretty good. Most of the issues people seem to be facing camera-wise are on the Ultra.

The 120hz setting is a little worse on the battery than 1440p (you can only use 120hz on 1080p). But I'd say it's pretty close enough for me not to care. I have better battery life on my S20 at 120hz than my S9 at 1440p. If you're running your S9+ on 1440p, even if you go 120hz on the S20+ you'll still see same battery life because the battery on the S20+ is still 1000mah bigger than the S9+.

The upgrade from the S9 was pretty worth it from every aspect for me. My only regret was not getting the + instead. I feel like now, if I got a screen that was a little bigger I could actually just ditch my 7 inch tablet and do everything from my phone. The plus has a 6.7 inch screen, and the 6.2 inch screen on my S20 is too far still to make it a close enough difference to be worth ditching the tablet as my main reader. Also I found out late that the regular S20 did not come with the Buds+ in my country, only the bigger ones did, which annoyed me to an extent. LOL.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I went from the regular S9 to the regular S20. They're almost the same size body wise, even if the S20 screen is a bit bigger. The change in aspect ratio makes the screen even taller than wide on the S20 vs the S9, so if you move to the regular S20 you'll probably feel a downgrade in terms of screen size.

You can use a glass screen protector with the fingerprint sensor, but you'll have to get good quality ones like a Whitestone.

I'm not that much into photography, but I think the camera is pretty good. Most of the issues people seem to be facing camera-wise are on the Ultra.

The 120hz setting is a little worse on the battery than 1440p (you can only use 120hz on 1080p). But I'd say it's pretty close enough for me not to care. I have better battery life on my S20 at 120hz than my S9 at 1440p. If you're running your S9+ on 1440p, even if you go 120hz on the S20+ you'll still see same battery life because the battery on the S20+ is still 1000mah bigger than the S9+.

The upgrade from the S9 was pretty worth it from every aspect for me. My only regret was not getting the + instead. I feel like now, if I got a screen that was a little bigger I could actually just ditch my 7 inch tablet and do everything from my phone. The plus has a 6.7 inch screen, and the 6.2 inch screen on my S20 is too far still to make it a close enough difference to be worth ditching the tablet as my main reader. Also I found out late that the regular S20 did not come with the Buds+ in my country, only the bigger ones did, which annoyed me to an extent. LOL.
I did that one time ordered the s8 instead of the s8+ and exchanged it 3 days later .

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I did that one time ordered the s8 instead of the s8+ and exchanged it 3 days later .
Can't. I got the phone the day right before we went into lockdown in my country. Lol. So I wasn't able to get it exchanged immediately. And I don't plan on heading into the carrier stores anytime soon to sign the contracts and stuff for exchange so I'll just stick it with this one and spend the money to buy buds outright. Lol. My country's response to covid is pretty crap.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Can't. I got the phone the day right before we went into lockdown in my country. Lol. So I wasn't able to get it exchanged immediately. And I don't plan on heading into the carrier stores anytime soon to sign the contracts and stuff for exchange so I'll just stick it with this one and spend the money to buy buds outright. Lol. My country's response to covid is pretty crap.
I understand :(

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all of the help guys, but after going back and forth, I think I'm just going to stick with the S9+ for another year. Biggest reason is it's paid for, and my battery is actually still quite good. The camera doesn't seem that much better either. I just don't want to see a S20, because that 120hz seems like it could of swayed me. I guess it also says something good about Samsung that their 2 year old phones are still pretty good. Enjoy your S20's , they really do seem like a great phone.
Get the Note 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy