08-15-2020 05:49 PM
147 123 ...
tools
    I just seen this, my brother got a ad on his ultra 20 today. I'm not at all happy about this, I paid good money for this phone. I was looking to go to the note 20, but I'm not sure now. These aren't cheap phones to have to put up with ads.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...and-im-fed-up/
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    06-30-2020 06:51 PM
    Yeah, that seemed pretty ridiculous to me.
    Laura Knotek and gendo667 like this.
    06-30-2020 07:00 PM
    I won't worry until I start seeing ads. Been using my Note 10+, S20 Ultra and tab S6 and have yet to see any ads.
    06-30-2020 07:18 PM
    I won't worry until I start seeing ads. Been using my Note 10+, S20 Ultra and tab S6 and have yet to see any ads.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, but closer to home now that my brother got one at at 3 AM and woke him up
    Laura Knotek and Apple2Droid like this.
    06-30-2020 07:20 PM
    It's been all over reddit. I wonder what's the reason some are seeing intrusive ads. Doesn't really seem like Samsung. Wonder if it's some kind of bug.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, but closer to home now that my brother got one at at 3 AM and woke him up
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 07:38 PM
    I think it will hurt their sales if true
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 07:39 PM
    Might as well throw this question out, just thought of it. Could this be carrier dependent. I can see Verizon doing this.
    Laura Knotek, amyf27 and ansa82 like this.
    06-30-2020 08:06 PM
    Might as well throw this question out, just thought of it. Could this be carrier dependent. I can see Verizon doing this.
    Doubt it....most if seems to be in the places app within the dialer. As long as it doesn't pop out during calls I'm good.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-30-2020 08:23 PM
    I received a couple of very annoying ads a few days after I started using my Note 10+, all of them from Samsung itself. It really upset me, and it was kind of hard to find in internet instructions to block it. Now I don't receive any ads anymore, but I must say if it happens, I'm going to ditch Samsung for good. To pay 1000 bucks and still receive annoying ads is simply unacceptable for me.
    06-30-2020 08:23 PM
    Were they appearing in your internet browser? I know I get ads on websites, but that's due to me searching for a certain product or brand previously.
    I received a couple of very annoying ads a few days after I started using my Note 10+, all of them from Samsung itself. It really upset me, and it was kind of hard to find in internet instructions to block it. Now I don't receive any ads anymore, but I must say if it happens, I'm going to ditch Samsung for good. To pay 1000 bucks and still receive annoying ads is simply unacceptable for me.
    06-30-2020 08:47 PM
    Completely unacceptable. You pay $1400 for a phone, you shouldn't be forced with ads when you get it home. At the very least you should be able to turn them off.

I saw that article where they stick an ad in the dialer?! Really Samsung?? I think I read a month or two ago ads popping up in their Samsung Music app or something like that??

When I got my Note 8... Irritated me that I'd open the Samsung Store app to check on Samsung updates and I would get an ad the moment I opened it... and it had music playing at full blast causing attention before I had a chance to close it. And there was no option to disable.

I had to buy a lifetime subscription to Adguard Pro to remove the irritating pop up because on Android it blocks ads in apps as well as browsers.
    06-30-2020 09:11 PM
    OK, but what does it matter how much you pay for the device? It's either OK or it's not OK.
    06-30-2020 09:25 PM
    I'll have to pay attention because I see nothing in the dialer. In the "places" tab within the dialer all I see are reviews based on categories which may actually be useful when I'm traveling.Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?-screenshot_20200630-222902_phone.jpeg
    06-30-2020 09:31 PM
    You're absolutely right. Unless you were buying a phone so discounted because they will tell you you'll get ads to offset the cost of the phone, doesn't matter if $14 or $1400. It just sounds maybe more ridiculous that you pay such an amount and not an option to opt out.

OK, but what does it matter how much you pay for the device? It's either OK or it's not OK.
    06-30-2020 09:44 PM
    Would make more sense to place a "Places" in the map instead of a dialer because you are using the map to check your surrounding area. Surprised no one has come up with that I mean... who really thinks off the top of their head to open the dialer to find a restaurant? I'm like, "Ok Google, find me a tequila bar nearby."
    Attached Thumbnails Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?-screenshot_20200630-224759_maps.jpg  
    06-30-2020 09:50 PM
    Would make more sense to place a "Places" in the map instead of a dialer because you are using the map to check your surrounding area. Surprised no one has come up with that I mean... who really thinks off the top of their head to open the dialer to find a restaurant? I'm like, "Ok Google, find me a tequila bar nearby."
    I don't use it much....I usually Google for the type of place I want and stuff pops up in a search.
    06-30-2020 09:55 PM
    If i see that crap in the phone dialer, I will complain to samsung and not be friendly about it
    06-30-2020 11:54 PM
    I technically don't consider this the phone dialer since it's a tab completely separate from the actual phone dialer. I also find it completely hard to believe that most don't have the customization services enabled. It clearly tells you what it does. I've turned it on to test if I start getting them which I assume I will. I also agree this shouldn't be turned on by default as most wouldn't willingly agree to the aggressive marketing. Definitely not good look for Samsung if they don't change things.
    I'll have to pay attention because I see nothing in the dialer. In the "places" tab within the dialer all I see are reviews based on categories which may actually be useful when I'm traveling.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200630-222902_Phone.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	322084
    Is Samsung going to really do this... Ads?-screenshot_20200701-025359_customisation-20service.jpegIs Samsung going to really do this... Ads?-screenshot_20200701-025413_customisation-20service.jpeg
    ironass likes this.
    07-01-2020 02:58 AM
    I actually search using it and it's pretty useful and fast compared to google. For some reason it takes google a second to lock in my location sometimes I get locations that aren't close to where I'm currently at. It also lets you narrow down your search to locations currently open which can come really come in handy now.
    07-01-2020 03:02 AM
    You're absolutely right. Unless you were buying a phone so discounted because they will tell you you'll get ads to offset the cost of the phone, doesn't matter if $14 or $1400. It just sounds maybe more ridiculous that you pay such an amount and not an option to opt out.
    Just like Amazon does with their Kindle. They sell a ad based one or a non add based one. I spent $1500 for a phone that did not have any mention of ads being forced on it.

As far as I'm concerned it's dirty play on Samsungs part to start putting ads on any phone already released since there was no mention that these phones were ad based. At the very least any phone released before this ad nonsense was introduced should have the option to turn it off.
    edglock21 likes this.
    07-01-2020 04:16 AM
    Were they appearing in your internet browser? I know I get ads on websites, but that's due to me searching for a certain product or brand previously.
    Who said it was in the internet browser? It appeared to me in my notifications bar. If it was on internet browser I wouldn't mind, since I use AdBlock App to solve it there.
    07-01-2020 05:31 AM
    Who said it was in the internet browser? It appeared to me in my notifications bar. If it was on internet browser I wouldn't mind, since I use AdBlock App to solve it there.
    It doesn't give you the option to disable the notification?
    07-01-2020 09:00 AM
    It doesn't give you the option to disable the notification?
    Yes, but I had to find it on the internet, and it was no simple... But I could manage it, and that's why I'm still using this phone.
    07-01-2020 09:10 AM
    I have been upset about this for a while for the same reason most people mention here...at a flagship price I should not be subsidizing the phone by being inundated with ads. This is wrong. If I get a budget device that I know I bought at a budget price BECAUSE ads will be served I expect this. Samsung makes great hardware and we love that aspect. They have made great leaps in their software with OneUI. The problem to me is Samsung is doing some shady stuff. The pixel can search local businesses from the dialer app...it uses google search. Samsung adds this feature to their dialer app but it is a third party software if you really read/understand the fine print. It isn't Samsung and it may or may not be using google search but it IS going through a third party (a company called Hiya). The problem I have with that is it really isn't explained well so you click OK to allow it to search not realizing you are agreeing to ANOTHER agreement and you get your search results.

Samsung seems to be a hodge-podge of third party solutions (Qihoo 360 anyone?) to perform many of the same functions that google (or apple) does on their phones native. It seems like Samsung not only is serving ads to us that we do not deserve let alone want but also is a secret labyrinth of third party agreements that we have to live with.

I had a Note 10 Plus - Facebook kept being installed without me doing so. I went in and disabled the SYSTEM LEVEL apps that run for Facebook and it STILL kept being installed. I could not find out how this was happening (stub app...full app...I don't care it was being installed and I did not want it to be). Then I found out about T-Mobile's BACKGROUND "appselector" app to "improve my experience" and THAT was what was adding Facebook. So I found that app in the list of system apps and removed it. But here is ANOTHER deal Samsung signed to allow someone else control over my $1,000+ device that I paid for fair and square.

It seems Samsung is the only company doing shady backdoor deals like this to give other entities access to something that we paid for and WE supposedly own. Yes I was finally able to disable most of this stuff but it took time...I had to find these things and then I had to disable them. Will they be re-enabled when I get a security patch? A major OS update? Not sure yet...but the problem should not be ME having to disable this stuff I should NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT ON A DEVICE I PAID AN EXTRAORDINARY AMOUNT FOR to OWN. I feel like even after shelling out that kind of money I still do not own the device when someone else can just load apps for me thinking it improves my experience...it doesn't.

I like Samsung hardware but I am done with Samsung until their business practices change. With a pixel I give my data to Google...bad as that may be it is ONE place to have to worry about and keep in check. Same for iOS or iPhone. With Samsung I might be at the mercy of more than a dozen companies let alone the agreements I have to agree to and create a Samsung account....oh...and then Samsung signs a deal with Microsoft to handle their cloud/backups. So ANOTHER third party.

Sorry Samsung...I'm not paying that kind of money so that you can make EVEN MORE MONEY selling deals to everyone in the world to do things behind the scenes on MY phone.
    07-01-2020 09:19 AM
    If I were renting the phone, sure, but I bought the damn thing. Keep your ads OFF. HTC pulled a similar stunt, attempting to monetize their keyboard, the awful TouchPal, as well as what was once their best feature, Blinkfeed.
    07-01-2020 09:49 AM
147 123 ...