07-30-2020 09:56 AM
27 12
tools
    Hello, I have just purchased a new Samsung S20 phone. When I tried to transfer applications from my old phone to this one, Smart Switch cannot be executed because of this error:

"Security Policy restrict the use of Smart Switch."

What can I do?

Thanks
    Jaime
    07-28-2020 02:14 PM
    Is the error appearing on the new or old device? Is your device registered for a work account?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-28-2020 05:11 PM
    Where do you see this ? Smart switch on the phone or computer?
    07-28-2020 05:13 PM
    That error appears in the new device. On the old device, it launches correctly.
    07-28-2020 06:24 PM
    On the new phone just when I try to run the app.
    07-28-2020 06:25 PM
    Other note. I have realized that problem is not only with this app. I have realized that other features have this problem also. For example, when I go to the settings, and then "Backup and Restore" module. Both options appear disabled with the same message.
    07-28-2020 06:29 PM
    Is this new device set up for work or a work phone?
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-28-2020 06:33 PM
    Is this new device set up for work or a work phone?
    That's the point. When I first set up the phone, I entered by e-mail address that I use in my Google Business account. I have used that account for years. The result to that, was that all my contacts were correctly imported to this new phone. This means the account was correctly linked.

On the other hand, before I finished with the set up, phone wizard asked me to choose if this phone is for work or for personal use. If I choose for personal use, phone required me to enter a personal e-mail address. So, in order to not entering other e-mail address, I chose work use.

After I finished the wizard, this problem started happening.

Regards,
    Jaime
    07-28-2020 06:47 PM
    That's the point. When I first set up the phone, I entered by e-mail address that I use in my Google Business account. I have used that account for years. The result to that, was that all my contacts were correctly imported to this new phone. This means the account was correctly linked.

On the other hand, before I finished with the set up, phone wizard asked me to choose if this phone is for work or for personal use. If I choose for personal use, phone required me to enter a personal e-mail address. So, in order to not entering other e-mail address, I chose work use.

After I finished the wizard, this problem started happening.

Regards,
    Jaime
    I see , can you you enter your personal email?
    07-28-2020 06:56 PM
    I see , can you you enter your personal email?
    Why?
    07-28-2020 07:14 PM
    Why?
    So you can get smart switch going
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-28-2020 07:19 PM
    So you can get smart switch going
    That is only a patch, not a real solution. I am sure it will work that way but I am looking for a solution, not only to do an action to keep my phone happy, sorry.

Regards,
    Jaime
    07-28-2020 09:30 PM
    That is only a patch, not a real solution. I am sure it will work that way but I am looking for a solution, not only to do an action to keep my phone happy, sorry.

Regards,
    Jaime
    Then through your work profile , you'll have to find a way to grant permission
    Laura Knotek and Monique Adam like this.
    07-28-2020 09:32 PM
    From my understanding, the work profile like you are talking about is part of a BYOD initiative some companies use. You first would've had to install an MDM (Mobile Device Management) app to allow the work profile creation. This doesn't just happen out of the blue. Here's Google's instructions on turning the work profile off and on.

https://support.google.com/work/andr.../7029561?hl=en

Keep in mind having this turned off will block access to work related info.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-29-2020 11:11 AM
    You first would've had to install an MDM (Mobile Device Management) app to allow the work profile creation.
    Not always. If the company is using G-Suite they can force the work profile creation simply by logging in to the work account as an account in device settings. There may be something to accept or agree to, but there's no additional app needed.
    07-29-2020 11:27 AM
    Not always. If the company is using G-Suite they can force the work profile creation simply by logging in to the work account as an account in device settings. There may be something to accept or agree to, but there's no additional app needed.
    But that is only on a work issued phone, is it not? I've seen this question several times lately from people that have purchased new phones (not work issued or used), so I tried looking into it. Everything I could find on the topic requires the owner user to install an MDM app first to allow the work profile creation when that email is used.
    07-29-2020 11:43 AM
    But that is only on a work issued phone, is it not?
    The company that signs my checks (I work for a company that contracts out to other companies, I sit at a customer site and have email for that company also) has a BYOD program and is enforcing work profiles on new Android device enrollments through the G-Suite login, no mention of an MDM app.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-29-2020 11:53 AM
    The company that signs my checks (I work for a company that contracts out to other companies, I sit at a customer site and have email for that company also) has a BYOD program and is enforcing work profiles on new Android device enrollments through the G-Suite login, no mention of an MDM app.
    How does it seperate work from personal content ?
    07-29-2020 11:55 AM
    It looks like G-suite is operating in place of the MDM. Not sure if I'd like a company to automatically restrict my phone like that.
    07-29-2020 12:02 PM
    How does it seperate work from personal content ?
    There is a separate tab for work in the app listing and the apps the company has designated are duplicated for work and only work info is accessed in the work version of the apps.

This page has info on this - https://www.android.com/enterprise/employees/
    Laura Knotek and kct1975 like this.
    07-29-2020 12:06 PM
    There is a separate tab for work in the app listing and the apps the company has designated are duplicated for work and only work info is accessed in the work version of the apps.

This page has info on this - https://www.android.com/enterprise/employees/
    Ok gotcha, its similar like going into guest mode but its a work profile?
    07-29-2020 12:09 PM
    Ok gotcha, its similar like going into guest mode but its a work profile?
    Kind of, except you don't have to switch users. It's pretty seamless. I'd show some screenshots but those are restricted in the work profile (for what should be obvious reasons).
    mustang7757 and kct1975 like this.
    07-29-2020 12:15 PM
    Kind of, except you don't have to switch users. It's pretty seamless. I'd show some screenshots but those are restricted in the work profile (for what should be obvious reasons).
    Thanks , I remember back in the day Samsung had the knox platform similar to secure folder how it would seperate the 2 .
    07-29-2020 12:21 PM
    From my understanding, the work profile like you are talking about is part of a BYOD initiative some companies use. You first would've had to install an MDM (Mobile Device Management) app to allow the work profile creation. This doesn't just happen out of the blue. Here's Google's instructions on turning the work profile off and on.

https://support.google.com/work/andr.../7029561?hl=en

Keep in mind having this turned off will block access to work related info.
    I have tried everything that was talked here, but none worked in my case. I cannot disable work profile because "Disable" button appears disabled. I have also disabled device management completely in G-Suite and deleted my phone in the devices list. Then I tried to delete the e-mail account from the phone in order to add it again, but phone sent a message telling that I cannot delete the account because administrador does not allow to do so, and the administrator is myself!!! I am really in "deadlock" at this point.

The only thing I have not tried yet is to install a MDM application. I have searched in Google Play but several apps were found. Which one can I install?

Regards
    Jaime
    07-29-2020 04:26 PM
    I have tried everything that was talked here, but none worked in my case. I cannot disable work profile because "Disable" button appears disabled. I have also disabled device management completely in G-Suite and deleted my phone in the devices list. Then I tried to delete the e-mail account from the phone in order to add it again, but phone sent a message telling that I cannot delete the account because administrador does not allow to do so, and the administrator is myself!!! I am really in "deadlock" at this point.

The only thing I have not tried yet is to install a MDM application. I have searched in Google Play but several apps were found. Which one can I install?

Regards
    Jaime
    Judging by Hallux's explanation, it sounds like this is going through G-suite and installing an MDM app wouldn't do anything. Since you are the G-suite admin, my guess is there should be a settings screen in the admin controls that allow you to set permissions for connected devices. If you deleted the phone already, then you may have to add it back to be able to properly set permissions.
    07-29-2020 05:54 PM
27 12