Tesla Unread Privacy Issue

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
After using Nova Launcher for many years, I've recently received an alert on my phone and tablet that Tesla Unread can compromise your privacy and has been removed from Play Store. Is this a real concern?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You don't even need Tesla Unread anymore. Nova has notification badges baked into it now. Is there a reason you're still using it?

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I use AquaMail for my email. For whatever reason, it no longer shows the unread badge. It did work when Tesla worked.
I use Aquamail and Nova right now and I get Unread badges without Tesla.
eafbba6cc1cb42ce6f619e0cd22ff70b.jpg

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize Tesla was no longer needed. It just kept getting re-installed with every new phone. I'll remove it.

DanG82

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
You don't even need Tesla Unread anymore. Nova has notification badges baked into it now. Is there a reason you're still using it?

Without TeslaUnread, Nova Launcher doesn't provide a true unread count though... It works just like native Android where it reads from the notification bar, so if you swipe away a notification, the count resets to zero.

I'd like to be able to dismiss my notifications but still know how many unread texts, WhatsApps, emails, etc. I have. To my knowledge, TeslaUnread remains the only way to do that. It works differently than native Android, Nova, etc. by actually pulling data from each app to determine how many unread items there are.

TeslaUnread still works fine for me in Android 11, with one exception: Android Messages and a couple other apps have an inflated count of 1 or 2. With Messages, if I have no unread texts, the bubble will show 2; 1 unread text, the bubble will show 3; 2 unread texts, the bubble will show 4; etc.

I've learned to live with it since it's still well worth it to have a true unread count, but if anyone knows of a solution to that issue, or another means of getting true unread counts in Android 11+, please share!

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I also use Aquamail and get notifications without having Tesla.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I looked into this a bit more the other day.

I don't have notifications turned on so that my new emails appear in the notification shade. That's how I've been doing it for years (email isn't what it used to be). I may very well be wrong, but I thought with that setup I was seeing the badge with Tesla and I don't without it.

Since tesla, as I recall, needed to 'read notifications" to work, I'm thinking I'm just recalling incorrectly, but I have lately been forgetting to even check email in a way I hadn't before Nova7 (in which tesla doesn't work at all). It feels like there was a badge that was triggering my checking.

At any rate, I can get the badge without Tesla, too. I just have to allow all the noise in my inbox to be in the notification shade.

Am I missing something?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
In looking into TeslaUnread a bit more the other day, there's been an issue with it for quite a while. It's removed from Play for security reasons, but even if you d/l outside of Play, there's something with the way Google has changed the badge function over time that has screwerd up Tesla more than once.

That said, I wasn't noticing any obvious issues before I started using the Nova7 betas. Even with Tesla installed, it has disappeared from the badge options in Nova in Nova7.

DanG82

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I looked into this a bit more the other day.

I don't have notifications turned on so that my new emails appear in the notification shade. That's how I've been doing it for years (email isn't what it used to be). I may very well be wrong, but I thought with that setup I was seeing the badge with Tesla and I don't without it.

Since tesla, as I recall, needed to 'read notifications" to work, I'm thinking I'm just recalling incorrectly, but I have lately been forgetting to even check email in a way I hadn't before Nova7 (in which tesla doesn't work at all). It feels like there was a badge that was triggering my checking.

At any rate, I can get the badge without Tesla, too. I just have to allow all the noise in my inbox to be in the notification shade.

Am I missing something?

You're correct. TeslaUnread is the only way (to my knowledge) to get badges without having the clutter of active notifications. It pulls a true unread count from each app.

I'm still able to use TeslaUnread on my S20 with Android 11. As previously mentioned, it's a bit thrown off by a few apps... The count is always 2 too high for Android Messages and 1 too high for Duo (and yes, I've assured I have no unread messages in either). But it's still far superior to me than having to revert to notification-dependent badges in Nova or native Android.

Bummed to hear it's not going to work once Nova 7 goes live. Hope to find some other solution before then.

slipdUK

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,

Getting the Security message too now, from Play Protect... I had read that Nova were going to phase out/integrate Tesla fully into Nova 7 but that doesn't help us now, does it?

When I remove Tesla (Android 10, Xiaomi/Samsung) I appear to lose all notification bubbles - specifically for WhatsApp, which I can't be without really.

Any news on 7's official release date?

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys,

Getting the Security message too now, from Play Protect... I had read that Nova were going to phase out/integrate Tesla fully into Nova 7 but that doesn't help us now, does it?

When I remove Tesla (Android 10, Xiaomi/Samsung) I appear to lose all notification bubbles - specifically for WhatsApp, which I can't be without really.

Any news on 7's official release date?

Thanks.
Check settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>special access>notification access then toggle Nova on

DanG82

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site

If you want actual unread counts, you can just ignore the security warning and continue to use TeslaUnread. It works fine in Android 10.

slipdUK

Oct 28, 2017
Visit site
If you want actual unread counts, you can just ignore the security warning and continue to use TeslaUnread. It works fine in Android 10.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to just ignore the warning for now. Android 10 on my Xiaomi phone and Samsung tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34