Visual Voicemail?

pauly814

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Does the S20+ have visual voicemail built in? When I search apps for Visual Voicemail, no apps show up but it does show a result under Settings App info for Visual Voicemail. Doesnt let me do much with it wont even let me select it as default.

Going to apps and searching for the app, does not show any results
I'm using the phone on Visible. Swapped SIM from an iPhone 6S

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If you open your dialer/phone app, do you have this icon on the lower left?

aaad9c013f27639d74e41ba77c23f70f.jpg

pauly814

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
when I search for it in apps, it is not there. When I search for it in Settings > Apps (show system apps), it does show settings for it.

rizzo269

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
when I search for it in apps, it is not there. When I search for it in Settings > Apps (show system apps), it does show settings for it.
My unlocked ultra was the same way when I was setting it up. Once I logged into the Samsung store there was an update for the visual voicemail app. After the app updated it showed in my app drawer.

Not sure of you're in the same boat but figured I'd share my experience.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My unlocked ultra was the same way when I was setting it up. Once I logged into the Samsung store there was an update for the visual voicemail app. After the app updated it showed in my app drawer.

Not sure of you're in the same boat but figured I'd share my experience.
It depends on the carrier. With Verizon it installs a voicemail app.

pauly814

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
This was the issue. After installing Samsung store updates, the voicemail app showed up. Wish it integrated into the dialer app, with a shortcut to get into it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This was the issue. After installing Samsung store updates, the voicemail app showed up. Wish it integrated into the dialer app, with a shortcut to get into it.
You have the unlocked version, carrier version have in phone dialer ,some not all.

pauly814

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
its the unlocked phone, regular dialer that came with it (can I change that to a different one somehow). Also after installing samsung store updates, the vmail app shows up now and allows visual voicemail, just no integration into dialer

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
its the unlocked phone, regular dialer that came with it (can I change that to a different one somehow). Also after installing samsung store updates, the vmail app shows up now and allows visual voicemail, just no integration into dialer
Even if I were to guide you to flash to carrier firmware it not guaranteed your carrier will support it in the dialer app.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
If you have Verizon, as far as I know it's still a paid service. With their carrier locked devices there's usually a trial/teaser period where they try and hook you to get you to pay for the service. At least that's how it used to be and I would imagine it's the same with other carriers.

Alternatively you could get Google Voice. It's free and like everything else Google it ties into your Gmail account. Along with Visual Voicemail you get;

Call forwarding to all of your phone numbers, where you can register any phone # you have access to and it will ring them all if a call to your main number fails.

Personalized outgoing messages to callers. So you can record a personalized outgoing message to your bestie that's different from the outgoing message to your sister that's different to the random caller.

You can send calls straight to VM and by pass ringing your device at all. That one annoying place that keeps calling asking for donations when you've already given won't ever ring your phone again.

You can block callers from ringing your device or going to VM. That one person who calls and you just can't figure why they don't get the hint, record a personalized outgoing message and block them form VM or ringing your device.

A second phone number that you can give out like candy on Halloween. With it you can screen calls. If the caller doesn't appear in your contacts it will ask them to say their name and you will hear their voice before deciding to answer or not. You can also send/receive calls and texts just like you can with your main number and they will never get your main number. Texts to this number can be sent to all of your other phones as well, and calls work the same as previously mentioned.

And just like with everything Google you can access your texts, to the Google number, Voicemail (audio and transcript) and call history from anyplace you can log in to your Google account. There's more but those are pretty much the highlights.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
If you have Verizon, as far as I know it's still a paid service. With their carrier locked devices there's usually a trial/teaser period where they try and hook you to get you to pay for the service. At least that's how it used to be and I would imagine it's the same with other carriers.

Alternatively you could get Google Voice. It's free and like everything else Google it ties into your Gmail account. Along with Visual Voicemail you get;

Call forwarding to all of your phone numbers, where you can register any phone # you have access to and it will ring them all if a call to your main number fails.

Personalized outgoing messages to callers. So you can record a personalized outgoing message to your bestie that's different from the outgoing message to your sister that's different to the random caller.

You can send calls straight to VM and by pass ringing your device at all. That one annoying place that keeps calling asking for donations when you've already given won't ever ring your phone again.

You can block callers from ringing your device or going to VM. That one person who calls and you just can't figure why they don't get the hint, record a personalized outgoing message and block them form VM or ringing your device.

A second phone number that you can give out like candy on Halloween. With it you can screen calls. If the caller doesn't appear in your contacts it will ask them to say their name and you will hear their voice before deciding to answer or not. You can also send/receive calls and texts just like you can with your main number and they will never get your main number. Texts to this number can be sent to all of your other phones as well, and calls work the same as previously mentioned.

And just like with everything Google you can access your texts, to the Google number, Voicemail (audio and transcript) and call history from anyplace you can log in to your Google account. There's more but those are pretty much the highlights.

Last time I tried this on any carrier other than Sprint, I was about to get charged by Verizon for trying to port my number to GV. They considered it somehow like I was leaving the carrier, even though I wasn't, but that's because we technically pay to use our own damn number. I've had the same number for 15 years, but it doesn't belong to me and never will, from what I've been told.

Back when I was with Sprint, they had some special setup with GV and you could integrate that service or separate whenever you wanted without any hassle.

Does Verizon allow you to do that now with full integration? For me, GV was awesome, primarily just for its spam filters. I rarely ever got robocalls. That was the main reason I set up the account. Google would intercept the calls on their side and my phone never rang. Not only that, but I had the option to have GV play a message that my number was no longer in service, which would supposedly cause some robodialers to remove the number. Plus, as you mentioned the free visual voicemail was great too.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Last time I tried this on any carrier other than Sprint, I was about to get charged by Verizon for trying to port my number to GV. They considered it somehow like I was leaving the carrier, even though I wasn't, but that's because we technically pay to use our own damn number. I've had the same number for 15 years, but it doesn't belong to me and never will, from what I've been told.

>>I've only every had Verizon so it has always worked for me with no issue. One of the last times I mention using GV to replace visual voicemail, some mentioned that you could set it up using your carrier number and not accept the Google phone number. In a case like that I could see where the carrier might try something as shady as what you've mentioned. I've never done it that way, I always accept the Google phone number, and have not had any issues with my carrier for using the app to fullest.<<

Back when I was with Sprint, they had some special setup with GV and you could integrate that service or separate whenever you wanted without any hassle.

Does Verizon allow you to do that now with full integration? For me, GV was awesome, primarily just for its spam filters. I rarely ever got robocalls. That was the main reason I set up the account. Google would intercept the calls on their side and my phone never rang. Not only that, but I had the option to have GV play a message that my number was no longer in service, which would supposedly cause some robodialers to remove the number. Plus, as you mentioned the free visual voicemail was great too.

>>I've had GV for at least 6 years on Verizon, setting it up with at least 3 different numbers over that period, and no issues. If you run into an issue pop back in and perhaps I or someone else can help you solve it. I don't believe it will be an issue though.<<

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It's only paid if you go for the premium version