500gb - 16gb and battery

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Does the higher storage and ram drain the battery faster than the 256-12gb version? I read somewhere that it does but can't find the reference now.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Does the higher storage and ram drain the battery faster than the 256-12gb version? I read somewhere that it does but can't find the reference now.

Not true at all I have the s20 ultra 512Gb and 16ram and the only reason I'm upgrading is because the Uktra s20 focusing is horrible. This is by far the worst camera samsung has put out ever.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It technically uses more battery, but you would not notice it because the difference is minimal.

criminal_bg

Jul 12, 2019
Visit site
Not true at all I have the s20 ultra 512Gb and 16ram and the only reason I'm upgrading is because the Uktra s20 focusing is horrible. This is by far the worst camera samsung has put out ever.

did none of the many camera updates not fix you focus issues??? i thought all those problems were dealt with when the updates went out

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
did none of the many camera updates not fix you focus issues??? i thought all those problems were dealt with when the updates went out

Samsung made some improvements since launch. The auto focus continues to struggle in some situations such as low light, anything close to macro and when using the 108MP sensor. I'm hopeful the S21U resolves this serious issue.

Oscar Maradiaga

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Samsung made some improvements since launch. The auto focus continues to struggle in some situations such as low light, anything close to macro and when using the 108MP sensor. I'm hopeful the S21U resolves this serious issue.

Exactly my point a phone for that price was horrible. It's exactly why I had to upgrade. The camera alone is so bad that those so called updates didn't really do much. I understand it was new technology but the s21 plus took better pictures.

Dualmonitors

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i agree with the comments about the impossibly poor auto focus of my S20 Ultra.

it is to the point that one cannot depend on the camera taking an acceptable picture often!

even say if i wanted to take a picture of a label of a bottle, as one example, the auto focus would hunt and struggle and struggle, and sometimes, it would be acceptable and often, it would be an entirely blurry picture! blurry to the point of not being able to see what it even is! totally not usable.

why they don't get more upset customers is beyond me. i guess the answer is that we all have better things to do.

really unacceptable for such an incredibly costly phone (the S20 Ultra)!

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
...deleted
why they don't get more upset customers is beyond me. i guess the answer is that we all have better things to do.

really unacceptable for such an incredibly costly phone (the S20 Ultra)!
It doesn't feel costly when you roll the cost into your phone bill....you're just paying your phone bill.

From a cost perspective, I don't understand how people can spend 1k every other year (or more often) to replace a perfectly good phone. We don't do that with our computers, or TV's and they come out new every year. I really think a lot of it has to do with the painless financing through the carriers.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't feel costly when you roll the cost into your phone bill....you're just paying your phone bill.

From a cost perspective, I don't understand how people can spend 1k every other year (or more often) to replace a perfectly good phone. We don't do that with our computers, or TV's and they come out new every year. I really think a lot of it has to do with the painless financing through the carriers.

You really think there aren't people who spend 1k+ on their PC every couple of years?

I've never financed a phone or had a contract. My phone bill is £10 a month prepaid, I buy my phones outright and i can't remember the last time i went more than 2 years without an upgrade...

I'm not saying there isn't truth in what you're saying, there is. But it's also true that people spend money on the things they enjoy.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
True, I, on a whim just spent 70k on a truck I didn't need but that is a small percentage of the consumer base.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Is RAM always in a constant power-on state when the phone is on?

It's been decades since I thought about this stuff but smartphone ram is low power because each state is stored in a capacitor, memory being a collection of capacitors. So in generalized simple terms, once you turn a bit high you don't need power to maintain it, that is accomplished by the capacitor it's stored in.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
It's been decades since I thought about this stuff but smartphone ram is low power because each state is stored in a capacitor, memory being a collection of capacitors. So in generalized simple terms, once you turn a bit high you don't need power to maintain it, that is accomplished by the capacitor it's stored in.

So I guess the answer to the OP's question is, no it does not drain the battery any faster. Thanks for that info...

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

That makes sense thst there isn't a battery drain.

mhw100

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have a best estimate of the drain of an additional 4gb of this ram? The little I can find in a search is that on this newer ram it's negligible but no hard data.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have a best estimate of the drain of an additional 4gb of this ram? The little I can find in a search is that on this newer ram it's negligible but no hard data.

We've already established that it's negligible, meaning, insignificant, unmeasurable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez