Chaotic Migration from S10+ to S21 Ultra

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
When I last upgraded to the S10+ I recall it was a smooth process where all my messages, apps, home screen, etc. just restored after signing in to my google account.

This time I was given the AT&T option which I skipped, then I was presented with the Samsung Sync option. I decided to try that. After a couple hours it completed but I still don't see any apps that have reinstalled or messages.

Samsung cloud then wanted to migrate to OneDrive. That had me worried it was going to duplicate everything but so far is seems to have just dumped in a large number of screen shots and downloads (which may be duplicated), all with today's date.

So far I seem to have my call log and photos restored but nothing else.

I see restore options now under Samsung Cloud but they are all dated from a few weeks ago.

Should I just wait this out longer and will things show up? I normally just start clean but the last time went so smooth I just expected the same.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Since Samsung cloud is going away , you can restore those previous back up , but start using Samsung smart switch on the computer which does sane thing as Samsung cloud.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
It's finally straightening out. On the initial setup it didn't seem to restore the apps but I'm sure I had everything selected for Smart Switch. I ran home screen and apps again from the cloud restore. It seems to be working smoother than Smart Switch did.

Is the cloud backup/restore going away or is the storage just transitioning to OneDrive? It seems like that would be a step back to the old days if cloud restore went away.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's finally straightening out. On the initial setup it didn't seem to restore the apps but I'm sure I had everything selected for Smart Switch. I ran home screen and apps again from the cloud restore. It seems to be working smoother than Smart Switch did.

Is the cloud backup/restore going away or is the storage just transitioning to OneDrive? It seems like that would be a step back to the old days if cloud restore went away.
Yeah seems they going to one drive , I'm not a fan of it that's why I mentioned Samsung smart switch on pc , as it does everything that cloud did for me but now how to connect the device to a computer and not through settings and account on the phone .

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
My one drive photos is a bit of a mess now as it's getting doubled synced, and hundreds of items without exif metada are now showing with today's date.

Johnson21x

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Should just do samsung smart switch from s10plus to s21 ultra. Usb c to usbc. A lot easier and quicker took my full 64gb phone to transfer all data to the new phone in 7 or 8 minutes.

Of course you should always do a backup in smart switch thru the computer periodically just in case.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I started it over WiFi before I realized it came with a USB C/C cable. With both devices being WiFi 6 it still took a long while.

The AT&T phones are especially confusing since the AT&T sync comes up first. When you cancel that you then get the Samsung Sync.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Since Samsung cloud is going away , you can restore those previous back up , but start using Samsung smart switch on the computer which does sane thing as Samsung cloud.

That's why I will never store on and trust a cloud service. At anytime they can just up and pull the plug then your data vanishes into the void....

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's why I will never store on and trust a cloud service. At anytime they can just up and pull the plug then your data vanishes into the void....
I've got them in multiple clouds,PC,sd cards etc...
Important stuff need multiple back ups.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

That's not true at all. If any cloud service is being discontinued, I'm certain they would give you plenty of warning and plenty of opportunity to download your own data. I use OneDrive, and it's not like Microsoft is going away. If they decided to discontinue it, I'd bet we would have at least 6 months notice.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
That's not true at all. If any cloud service is being discontinued, I'm certain they would give you plenty of warning and plenty of opportunity to download your own data. I use OneDrive, and it's not like Microsoft is going away. If they decided to discontinue it, I'd bet we would have at least 6 months notice.

What if you where serving one year in prison and couldn't get the notice or get out in time to download your data? :D Just throwing out a scenerio where even a 6 month notice wouldn't suffice plus it would be a royal pain to download and swap over everything. What if you had 4 terrabytes of data stored on the cloud, how do you download all that to a phone and then re-upload it elsewhere? What about monthly data limits? Seems like it would take forever and be a pain. I would like to agree about Microsoft not going anywhere and if they do we probably have much larger problems to worry about like the world must be coming to an end for Microsoft to be closing their doors (reason why my email has been with hotmail since 1999 through every ISP I've been with) but... I bought into the Zune because I absolutely despise Apple and look what happened... poof gone. Even services tied to the biggest and most elite businesses like Microsoft aren't immune to being shut down. Less likely but not immune. The Zune proved that. I figured Samsung should be a big enough of a company to trust with a cloud service, guess not.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I've got them in multiple clouds,PC,sd cards etc...
Important stuff need multiple back ups.
Me too. I backup regularly to a portable sad drive, Amazon photos, Google Photos (for now) and OneDrive. Since I can get the family 365 cheaply on Amazon deals every now and then and I split the cost with my daughter so that 1TB makes great storage option. I also get important photos printed off using an app called Freeprints that gives 42 free prints a month for £2.99 postage or put into a free photo book (same company).

I once moved a load of data from multiple sources to a HDD brand new. 10 years of data. Deleted it and then the HDD failed taking most of my data with it. Luckily I had some saved in the cloud. So ever since then I make hard copies, soft copies, cloud copies etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Me too. I backup regularly to a portable sad drive, Amazon photos, Google Photos (for now) and OneDrive. Since I can get the family 365 cheaply on Amazon deals every now and then and I split the cost with my daughter so that 1TB makes great storage option. I also get important photos printed off using an app called Freeprints that gives 42 free prints a month for £2.99 postage or put into a free photo book (same company).

I once moved a load of data from multiple sources to a HDD brand new. 10 years of data. Deleted it and then the HDD failed taking most of my data with it. Luckily I had some saved in the cloud. So ever since then I make hard copies, soft copies, cloud copies etc.
Yeah definitely need to back up in multiple places , funny you mention prints I've been getting emails from Google photos about it at Slightly higher price you mentioned , maybe it might be a interest to you ?Screenshot_20210216-000236_Gmail.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I already had an Office365 subscription, so I use OneDrive already. I also use Google Drive/Google Photos and an external HDD for backups.

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
What if you where serving one year in prison and couldn't get the notice or get out in time to download your data? :D Just throwing out a scenerio where even a 6 month notice wouldn't suffice plus it would be a royal pain to download and swap over everything. What if you had 4 terrabytes of data stored on the cloud, how do you download all that to a phone and then re-upload it elsewhere? What about monthly data limits? Seems like it would take forever and be a pain. I would like to agree about Microsoft not going anywhere and if they do we probably have much larger problems to worry about like the world must be coming to an end for Microsoft to be closing their doors (reason why my email has been with hotmail since 1999 through every ISP I've been with) but... I bought into the Zune because I absolutely despise Apple and look what happened... poof gone. Even services tied to the biggest and most elite businesses like Microsoft aren't immune to being shut down. Less likely but not immune. The Zune proved that. I figured Samsung should be a big enough of a company to trust with a cloud service, guess not.

I never did trust Samsung to stay around on the cloud side. Partnering with MS is a smart move for them. I just don't like the way they migrated the data. I detailed on a different thread here they dropped the file date stamps and caused album duplications. If you already use OneDrive it also creates file duplication issues. Which are muddied because OneDrive and Samsung backup use different structures.

I have the most trust in Microsoft, followed by Google, then Amazon. I use all 3, which should give good data center/regional/security redundancy.

MS does tend to flake on newer hardware offerings (zune, windows phone, that smartwatch, etc.) but is solid on software services.

On the paid side at least I think the policy for MS is to just turn off write access if you stop paying for any reason.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
How long you need , 2 year notice ?

michail71

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
By how deeply OneDrive is integrated and relied upon these days I would expect MS would be notifying even well in advance of that. They have a huge commitment. It would be like getting rid of IE11, which they have been trying to do for years now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty