08-03-2021 04:34 PM
86 123 ...
tools
    Just out of curiosity, I was wondering what everyone was using? The buttons or the gesture navigation?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-01-2021 07:55 PM
    04-01-2021 08:15 PM
    04-01-2021 08:38 PM
    Gestures here too, full screen is always the better option for me.
    04-01-2021 08:40 PM
    04-01-2021 09:03 PM
    Gestures
    04-01-2021 09:28 PM
    Buttons
    04-01-2021 11:10 PM
    Gestures from the time it's introduced, like them and no issues.
    04-01-2021 11:11 PM
    Great thread idea - thank you for posting! I've tried gestures but I'm just not that great at using them. I prefer the button navigation, for sure!
    rsmin, chamomiami and Angmoe like this.
    04-01-2021 11:16 PM
    Surprised so many people using gestures, especially in this "fast paced" era! I'm pretty certain navigation buttons cuts down at least 0.1-0.5 seconds of time for every "gesture" made. It adds up hehe!
    04-01-2021 11:23 PM
    Surprised so many people using gestures, especially in this "fast paced" era! I'm pretty certain navigation buttons cuts down at least 0.1-0.5 seconds of time for every "gesture" made. It adds up hehe!
    Never tested which is quicker, but I like the full screen without space at the bottom of the screen
    bhatech likes this.
    04-01-2021 11:25 PM
    Never tested which is quicker, but I like the full screen without space at the bottom of the screen
    Fair enough. However, the "slowdown" is definitely more obvious when one cuts down (or entirely removes) stuff like transition animations etc, and want to navigate through their phone with "near instant" feedback.
    04-01-2021 11:26 PM
    Fair enough. However, the "slowdown" is definitely more obvious when one cuts down (or entirely removes) stuff like transition animations etc, and want to navigate through their phone with "near instant" feedback.
    Won't argue that , it's been some time since I last used buttons , be like training all over again lol .

With Google gestures , the back key is swiping either edge if the screen, while my thumb is right by the edge I wouldn't have to try go to the bottom and tap , then for when I go home home screen it would be one swipe up from bottom of screen , but it's a personal preference .
    bhatech likes this.
    04-01-2021 11:33 PM
    Won't argue that , it's been some time since I last used buttons , be like training all over again lol .

With Google gestures , the back key is swiping either edge if the screen, while my thumb is right by the edge I wouldn't have to try go to the bottom and tap , then for when I go home home screen it would be one swipe up from bottom of screen , but it's a personal preference .
    Ah right, you're using third party software, which sounds like it gives some other advantages over default. More power to you! However, I try to minimise third party apps (if you're familiar with "Windows security" and its history, you'll know what I mean) as a principle and apply it universally. However, android is certainly a different beast to Windows, so all good. Definitely personal preference.
    mustang7757 and J Dubbs like this.
    04-01-2021 11:35 PM
    Gestures. Always liked them more than buttons since they were introduced.
    04-02-2021 12:02 AM
    Ah right, you're using third party software, which sounds like it gives some other advantages over default. More power to you! However, I try to minimise third party apps (if you're familiar with "Windows security" and its history, you'll know what I mean) as a principle and apply it universally. However, android is certainly a different beast to Windows, so all good. Definitely personal preference.
    Actually for Samsung , you have a choice of Google gestures, Samsung gestures, buttons to choose from as default under settings>display>navigation bar no 3rd party software or tweaks.
    04-02-2021 12:15 AM
    Actually for Samsung , you have a choice of Google gestures, Samsung gestures, buttons to choose from as default under settings>display>navigation bar no 3rd party software or tweaks.
    Was about to reply as well that there isn't any third party tweaks here. It's native Android gestures available on every Android phone.

Swipe anywhere on the side edges to go back, and swipe up from bottom to go to home. Even multi tasking switching between apps is faster or easier with gestures when you can just slide at the bottom to switch between apps.

I'm not going to argue which is faster or slower since it's not that much of a difference. It comes down to personal preference, once you get used to gestures it's pretty natural and fast.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    04-02-2021 12:24 AM
    Was about to reply as well that there isn't any third party tweaks here. It's native Android gestures available on every Android phone.

Swipe anywhere on the side edges to go back, and swipe up from bottom to go to home. Even multi tasking switching between apps is faster or easier with gestures when you can just slide at the bottom to switch between apps.

I'm not going to argue which is faster or slower since it's not that much of a difference. It comes down to personal preference, once you get used to gestures it's pretty natural and fast.
    Agree
    bhatech likes this.
    04-02-2021 12:25 AM
    Right, thanks for the clarification. My confusion was due to not being aware one type was "Google" and another type was "Samsung". I'm aware of the two different types of gestures.

Yes indeed, personal preference is key, and there's no doubt gestures allows for the "full screen" experience. However, there's no doubt in my mind that buttons is faster (at least in many ways) particularly when there's little to no animation transitions etc. It's demonstrably easy to prove and observe with the following scenario (somewhat exaggerated to make the point clearer):
    -say you want to issue the "back" command ten times.
    -with buttons, you can press the relevant button ten times very rapidly with less "kinetic energy" output, and probably ends up saving at least 1-2 seconds of time.
    -with gestures, you'd need to make the swiping movement ten times, and conversely, would use more kinetic energy and increased time.

Happy to stand corrected and try gestures again if I'm missing something about gestures though. I'm all about speed!
    04-02-2021 01:01 AM
    Right, thanks for the clarification. My confusion was due to not being aware one type was "Google" and another type was "Samsung". I'm aware of the two different types of gestures.

Yes indeed, personal preference is key, and there's no doubt gestures allows for the "full screen" experience. However, there's no doubt in my mind that buttons is faster (at least in many ways) particularly when there's little to no animation transitions etc. It's demonstrably easy to prove and observe with the following scenario (somewhat exaggerated to make the point clearer):
    -say you want to issue the "back" command ten times.
    -with buttons, you can press the relevant button ten times very rapidly with less "kinetic energy" output, and probably ends up saving at least 1-2 seconds of time.
    -with gestures, you'd need to make the swiping movement ten times, and conversely, would use more kinetic energy and increased time.

Happy to stand corrected and try gestures again if I'm missing something about gestures though. I'm all about speed!
    Im sure some scenarios the 3 button can be faster , for larger devices and one hand mode I can see gestures have the advantage , can come down how fast one can move between gestures and buttons also but it feels more fluid going through the UI with gestures , I know some people who could swipe type faster then typing on andriod keyboard not me thats for sure lol, but it really does come down to personal preference like we have all mentioned.
    bhatech likes this.
    04-02-2021 01:24 AM
    Im sure some scenarios the 3 button can be faster , for larger devices and one hand mode I can see gestures have the advantage , can come down how fast one can move between gestures and buttons also but it feels more fluid going through the UI with gestures , I know some people who could swipe type faster then typing on andriod keyboard not me thats for sure lol, but it really does come down to personal preference like we have all mentioned.
    Just wondering, do you reduce or disable the "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale", and "Animator duration scale" under Developer options? I disable the first two completely and set "Animator duration scale" to .5x - the phone simply flies and is comparable or possibly faster than stuff like Oxygen OS. In this context, I think you'd definitely notice the difference between using buttons and gestures.
    04-02-2021 01:30 AM
    Just wondering, do you reduce or disable the "Window animation scale", "Transition animation scale", and "Animator duration scale" under Developer options? I disable the first two completely and set "Animator duration scale" to .5x - the phone simply flies and is comparable or possibly faster than stuff like Oxygen OS. In this context, I think you'd definitely notice the difference between using buttons and gestures.
    Yeah I use to mess with that in developer settings, been a while but I would leave all 3 at .5 or none, I use to root just to over clock the CPU or use substratum apply different tweaks from other andriod.

I've played with everything available you could tweak but I use Nova launcher and make finer adjustments there I like some animation. I keep close to stock now.
    04-02-2021 01:41 AM
    Google gestures. Used to love the buttons and preferred them over Samsung gestures. The swipe back gesture from Google is definitely quicker than reaching down to the bottom of the screen to hit the back button, not to mention much more comfortable and natural for my usual one-handed mode of operation.

However, my partner who usually operates phones with both hands finds buttons to be quicker and easier. But for one-handed use, the swipe back is priceless. Not to mention the extra screen real estate you get from not having the button bar down the bottom, it just looks much more modern and elegant having a tiny sliver (or nothing at all) for gestures vs 3 buttons taking up way more space.
    bhatech likes this.
    04-02-2021 03:09 AM
    Another advantage of buttons is when you want to quickly switch between two apps. This is near instant with buttons, as you simply double tap the back button. With gestures, I see no way of doing it anywhere close to that quickly.

Furthermore, if you're frequently bringing up the "recent apps" view, it can get quite tiring one-handed with gestures! The S21 Ultra is pretty heavy already, and doing gestures one-handed over and over can get somewhat tiring. However, I do realise some people here are responding in this thread while using the S21 or S21+, which are both significantly lighter than the S21 Ultra. Personally I have no issues with shifting my hand/fingers/thumb to reach the back button, but perhaps I've trained myself to do that.

I definitely agree that issuing the back command is generally easier with the Google gestures (as you don't need to shift to reach the back button especially on the big S21 Ultra), but this is offset by the above scenarios I've described if you use the home and recent apps button often too.
    04-02-2021 03:36 AM
    Gestures. Just prefer them overall
    Morty2264 likes this.
    04-02-2021 04:02 AM
86 123 ...