BUK7 is OTA for US unlocked Ultra

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
G998U1UEU4BUK7 is OTA now from most carriers (Android 12, Nov 1 security, for G998U1). As usual, you can get the full list of carriers' latest releases at sammobile.com, and you can download the firmware from Samsung via Frija if you haven't gotten it OTA.

Please, let's reserve this thread for useful comments about BUK7 on the S21 series--no "Me too", "Not me yet", or "When will I get it?" posts, please.

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
So far the transition to Android 12 has gone smoothly. The display's Minimum Width got reset to 384 dpi, but I switched in back (in Developer Options) to my previous setting of 720.

I did encounter the new adaptive-refresh behavior others have reported, but I'm not sure it's even a bug, or if it is, there's an easy workaround. I turned on Show Refresh Rate (in Developer Options) and confirmed that in many apps, as reported, if I flick my finger briefly to initiate a scrolling action, the refresh goes up to 120 Hz while my finger is touching the screen, but immediately drops to 60 Hz when my finger moves away. However, if I keep my finger on the screen and in motion for more than half a second before moving it away, the scrolling continues smoothly at 120 Hz. For me, that's a better workaround than forcing the refresh to stay at only 60 Hz and abandoning smoothness, or only at 120 Hz and draining the battery unnecessarily.

retomex

Feb 15, 2021
Visit site
I updated today and so far so good. I’ve noticed that my clear view cover messes with font size when receiving a call. It looks weird. Time and notifications look fine though, showing incoming calls look a font size too big.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Strange that the older build of BUK7, (build date 05 Nov ), is being pushed out when the newer BUK9, (build date 12 Nov), is already available.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Strange that the older build of BUK7, (build date 05 Nov ), is being pushed out when the newer BUK9, (build date 12 Nov), is already available.
If the purpose of BUK9 was to fix the adaptive-refresh problem but it was found not to do so, it would make sense to skip it and wait for a subsequent attempt. (Or maybe they're just running a little behind in their testing for the unlocked phones.)