Galaxy S3 Lockscreen

macbsk

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I have contacted Verizon and Samsung to inform them of this issue. Samsung rep told me they will take a look into this and move this inquiry higher up. Verizon is blaming this feature on Samsung, but if it is Samsung's fault then why AT&T's version doesn't have this issue... Verizon rep "sorry I can't speak on AT&T's version"... Lol... WTF!!!

macbsk

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing this is a bug on the VZ version.

I downloaded WidgetLocker, and it's awesome. I really wanted to be able to toggle silent mode from the lockscreen and now I can do that.
I guess I might have to download this app!!! :'( This feature should be available on the S3 (but AT&T version can have it, FU Verizon version with no unlockable bootloader)... it was on my Thunderbolt.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Widget locker is awesome. I use it and highly recommend it if you're looking to completely customize your lock screen, but you can do what you are asking without it, saving you $3

All you have to do is setup a swipe pattern, set a lock time and disable lock whenever the power button is pressed and voila.

No, some of us want to still swipe during that time that it isn't on PIN/Motion mode (no security), but have it asked for PIN/Motion after a certain time IN ADDITION to swiping. Pretty sure this cannot be done without a third party app.

summerlin18

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Leave the box checked that says "with swype lock", uncheck the box that says "lock instantly with power button" then set your "lock automatically" time limit to whatever you want. If you unlock it before that time limit, it won't ask you to put in the password. That should be what you're wanting to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Leave the box checked that says "with swype lock", uncheck the box that says "lock instantly with power button" then set your "lock automatically" time limit to whatever you want. If you unlock it before that time limit, it won't ask you to put in the password. That should be what you're wanting to do.

This works on my phone as well. Swipe to go to home screen but after (mine is set to 30min) you have to pattern unlock.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately that does not. Whatever button I press under that lock time limit, it goes straight to the home screen WITHOUT asking me to swipe again. It literally just goes straight to the screen.. which can be risky since I may be using my phone, then let it time out and put it in my pocket.. and accidently press the home key without know.. so now my screen is back on WITHOUT swipe which means alot of pocket calling/pressing without me know.

I want to have it so that when it times out UNDER the lock time limit, it will STILL ask me to swipe regardless. Basically I want to swipe EVERY TIME - locked or not locked. I do NOT want to press power/home and be able to go straight into my home screen

summerlin18

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you have the security settings on pattern or pin or whatever you want along with the box checked for swype lock. Here is what my security settings are at. It works the way you say you want it to work, so I don't know why you're having so much trouble....

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you have the security settings on pattern or pin or whatever you want along with the box checked for swype lock. Here is what my security settings are at. It works the way you say you want it to work, so I don't know why you're having so much trouble....

My settings look exactly like that. I'm not new to Android so I've definitely tweaked everything around - and am almost certain this is not possible

Either your settings are different (per carrier) or me and you aren't on the same page.

Do this:
Wake your phone.. unlock your pattern.. let your phone sit and time out.. press home/power. Now, does it ask you to swipe? Answer for me is no. Will it ask me to swipe once it reaches 5 mins of timed out? Yes.

What I want is for both situations to require swipe. Your phone will not ask you to swipe after you wake it if your lock screen hasnt kicked in.

summerlin18

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... It always requires me to swipe it, just not put in the pattern when I do what you were saying. And I'm the newbie to android, this is my first device haha not sure why it's inconsistent for you

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... It always requires me to swipe it, just not put in the pattern when I do what you were saying. And I'm the newbie to android, this is my first device haha not sure why it's inconsistent for you

Yeah this is odd. The OP of this thread wants the same thing but I guess he just gave up since he doesnt post in this anymore haha

hussam5

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I am also having this same problem..

Setting up password security and using lets say 10 minute delay.. the swipe lock will not work.. so I can press the power button off and on and the screen will just come on or off no swipe or anything.
I hate this. Now every time the phone in my pocket, I'm thinking maybe some buttons are being pressed or calling someone without me knowing.

This is on my Samsung GS3. Latest update. I tried on the stock, Stock Rooted, and the FreeGS3 Rom.

I wanted to note that at first I thought it was the full device encryption I used. But later I removed the encryption and still the same problem.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Still monitoring the thread, but there doesn't appear to be a solution outside of purchasing an app...

theres no way potentialy having to buy a cheap piece of software should hold you back from getting a hot bit of hardware man ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

hussam5

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
theres no way potentialy having to buy a cheap piece of software should hold you back from getting a hot bit of hardware man ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

The problem for me at least.. isn't the app, even if there is one that would work it will drain the battery. I have tried widget locker lockscreen and its really bad with the battery. So I didn't even want to try it on my Samsung.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i find it fine but i suppose it depends how often you unlock your phone (mine spends half the day unlocked and my lockscreen is very simple) :)

bricta33

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
You want it so that if the phone is left alone for, say 1 hr.. a PIN is required. But if you just used it, put it down for 1 minute, and try to unlock it, no PIN, right?

I don't have mine yet(should be here Monday) but thats how I have it set on my HTC Incredible, and that would definitely be a pain in the ass if it requires a PIN every time regardless of how long its been locked. Sometimes I'll put my phone down real quick to do something .. I definitely don't want it asking me my PIN every single time I leave it alone

PRECISELY! Currently, my SGS3 is set with a screen lock, with swipe lock, lock automatically in 10 minutes after screen turns off. When turning the screen off, then turning it back on, swipe lock should still be enabled, but PIN / pattern lock should NOT be required unless there is at least 10 minutes of inactivity. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT GOOGLE / SAMSUNG?? Even more-so considering the SGS3 is a 'SAFE' (Samsung Approved For Enterprise) device!

bricta33

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
PRECISELY! Currently, my SGS3 is set with a screen lock, with swipe lock, lock automatically in 10 minutes after screen turns off. When turning the screen off, then turning it back on, swipe lock should still be enabled, but PIN / pattern lock should NOT be required unless there is at least 10 minutes of inactivity. WHY IS THIS SO HARD TO FIGURE OUT GOOGLE / SAMSUNG?? Even more-so considering the SGS3 is a 'SAFE' (Samsung Approved For Enterprise) device!

OK, figured it out. In the security and lock screen menu, UNCHECK 'Lock instantly with power key'. Then the screen device timeout, lock screen options, lock screen automatically will all fall into effect. Yep, feel like an idiot! :/

lock screen.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sergio1