"tap to top" function?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
the setting so that when you double-tap top of the phone, it goes to top of a list doesnt seem to be working for me.. in what kind of list is it supposed to work? would be nice if it went to top of a web page..

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
In the 'learn about tap to top' thing (menu, settings, motion), it says it works with contacts list, emails, and email messages.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah...not to start a whole thing, but that's one of the things I like about ios on my iPad...tapping the top black bar (what we would call the notification bar) scrolls all apps to the top (pretty sure it's every app...haven't ran into one it doesn't).

I was excited about the double tap thing in touchwiz until I realized it only worked in three places :(

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
lol are we allowed to mention ios in here? :p lucky samsung didnt copy it then or our phones would be in jail :)

Pretty sure, unless someone jumps all over us (seems to be a few people around here who take personal offense that iOS might possibly have any redeeming features) :)

Besides the above thing I mention, I also really like the feature in iOS that lets you swipe left or right with 4 fingers and it switches through the previously used apps. It's nice to just swipe through the apps I've used, rather than having to long-press the home button to bring up my list and then switch.

For example, on my iPad if I'm looking at a news story in Pulse, then switch to IMDB to look up a movie, then start typing an email, I can just swipe left with 4 fingers and it switches from the mail, to IMDB, then to Pulse and then swiping right will go back to IMDB and then to my email.

Anyways, that's two features I like that I wish Android would copy. But I just looked in the Play store and it looks like maybe SwipePad or SwipeSwitcher might work to something similar to the above.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I use the Dolphin HD web browser and whenever I scroll on a page a little icon appears in the lower right that looks like an upturned arrow. Tap that and it brings you to the top again. You have to scroll at least a little though first for it to appear.

Rev.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah opera mini does that too Rev (maybe opera mobile too) when u scroll quickly up or down a button appeares :) @evil, what would be really cool is if you could save say four apps as short-cuts which corrospond to a number of fingers swiped across screen :) i love the hand across the screen for screenshots on s3 :)

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I've tried this in my email (both the list and an individual message) and can't seem to get it to work. If I tap the status bar at the top, it just tries to open my notification drawer; tapping anywhere else doesn't seem to do anything.

Is it working for anyone, and if so, can you share a tip or two on how to do it?

Thanks!

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this in my email (both the list and an individual message) and can't seem to get it to work. If I tap the status bar at the top, it just tries to open my notification drawer; tapping anywhere else doesn't seem to do anything.

Is it working for anyone, and if so, can you share a tip or two on how to do it?

Thanks!

The tap to top motion feature requires that you tap the top of the device - not the screen. Think like you're bonking it on the head. And I do mean bonk because a light tap won't do. Also note that, as stated above, it only works in a few places.

Reactions: atishc

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
this feature is pure crap. It works too well on my iPad as I always accidentally scroll up and lose my place in whatever I was doing and on here it works 1% of the time. I can't win for losing lol

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
The tap to top motion feature requires that you tap the top of the device - not the screen. Think like you're bonking it on the head. And I do mean bonk because a light tap won't do. Also note that, as stated above, it only works in a few places.
OK, thanks. I certainly wasn't doing it right :)

It seems to be a bit "iffy" as to whether it actually detects the 'tap' or not, even in valid lists.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
this feature is total crap. it is just another one of the many useless bells and whistles on the SGS3 (which i own, and like dispite its faults)

Small rant incoming...

This is what i always disliked about android devices. They always seem to slap on a bunch of "fancy" new features but never seem to test them out to see if they work well; or even work at all. Example: This "tap to top", most of the "motion controls" on ths GS3, S-Voice, etc

tapin4par

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I was excited about this feature only to find out that it only works in limited number of pre-installed apps. However, the swipe scrolling works really well compared to my previous iP4. I can scroll from the bottom of the 470-entry long contact list to the top in a couple of quick swipes.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah the s3 came with a lot of gimmics that look good in the ad's but no geeky/power user would ever use. ive never even tried smart-stay, face unlock or s-voice lol things like that are just there to attract i-users :p i chose it for the screen and the sheer power :)

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
yeah the s3 came with a lot of gimmics that look good in the ad's but no geeky/power user would ever use. ive never even tried smart-stay, face unlock or s-voice lol things like that are just there to attract i-users :p i chose it for the screen and the sheer power :)

Smart stay is a pretty cool feature, I'm a big fan on it myself.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i have screen timeout set to 10mins lol and in habit of switchin screen off so wouldnt be much use to me. does it work if u wear glasses lol?

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I use the Dolphin HD web browser and whenever I scroll on a page a little icon appears in the lower right that looks like an upturned arrow. Tap that and it brings you to the top again. You have to scroll at least a little though first for it to appear.

Rev.
I've never seen that in Dolphin HD (just started using it). Is there a setting somewhere to turn this on? That functionality does sound exactly like the Opera Mobile browser. But I find it too slow because of their proxy servers, I suppose, and links are a little hinky. Hinky links, it's a technical term.

On Dolphin HD, I do like the simple gestues that allow you to go immediately to the top or bottom of a website and many other things. You can customize the gestures to your liking. I didn't think I would use that kind of functionality, but it really is easyr and faster.

Last edited: