Great battery improvement

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I disabled S-Voice and after 1 day of testing on my train commute I went from 99%-->92% rather than 88%.

I take a 30min train ride every morning and on the AT&T network, I have little to no signal for about 10% of the ride. Everyday I do the same thing in the morning, read flipboard articles until I get to Penn Station while also using the stock media player to play music.

Almost every day I have anywhere between 85-88% and am pleased to report today I had 92% after doing the same thing. I wanted to test this method so I loaded a few more articles than I would have on any other given day.

Hey I have an hour commute and I live in Queens, NY. I bet you live in Long Island, lol! You should try Pulse for reading articles! Good app for that! :)

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Is s-voice the thing that launches when you double-press the home button?

If you disable s-voice what happens when you double-press home?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
If I never double-press home to bring up s-voice, how exactly is s-voice draining my battery?

(I had previously unchecked wake-up command)

Mike

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I notice better Improvement when I noticed Twiiter wasn't doing the every 4 hours like I set it too and it was constantly downloading...so I turned the notifications off and that helped me out big time.:cool:

Zulu Warrior

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
If I never double-press home to bring up s-voice, how exactly is s-voice draining my battery?

(I had previously unchecked wake-up command)

Mike

I wouldn't expect it to be draining much battery either, and that's why I started this thread. It must have enough background tasks running or something I honestly don't know. All I know is I don't have a use for it, and when I disabled it I did get better battery life. I always think it's best to disable all the stuff I won't be using anyways, keep useless stuff from taking up my precious hardware. :p

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
So I ended up Turning S Voice back on. I have an extra battery so I'm not concerned about battery life. I did though turn off the wake up command in the S Voice settings. It clearly says that this may drain battery. That makes sense since it needs to constantly be working to listen for the command. So I think as long as you have that setting off you should be fine imo.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Is s-voice the thing that launches when you double-press the home button?

If you disable s-voice what happens when you double-press home?

then you dont get chance to double press coz the 1st press just takes u home.
i dont understand how disabling s-voice improves battery either, it doesnt show up in battery stats + i havent a way of really testin it but i disabled everything i dont use + cant uninstall anyway + a lot of people here have noticed definate improvements so its all good in the hood :)

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the folks seeing huge battery improvements by disabling s voice had the listen feature set to yes???

That would explain a lot !!!!

miketko

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if the folks seeing huge battery improvements by disabling s voice had the listen feature set to yes???

Probably. When I had my iphone jail broken one of the tweaks I tried out was to have siri on at all times with an command and it was a huge battery drainer

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

Zulu Warrior

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

While I can't really verify that I had the listen setting on befofehand, I am just going to assume I did. The only way I could really see getting an improvement like I saw is because it shut off that setting. I don't really mind just having it disabled though, so I'm just gonna stick with that. Thanks for helping clear it up though!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3, please excuse my brevity.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
The 'listening' feature is on by default, which I think is a shame, because bad battery like is will likely cause some users to return it and return to iphone.

Kevinskeep

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Probably something simple I am missing but after executing --

Settings > Application Manager (all) > S Voice > Disable.

How do you re-enable it? I go back into Application Manager after disabling it and S Voice no longer shows up (I did check under "All").

Dave

Go all the way to the bottom of the list, disabled apps automatically get put at the bottom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol at people trying to disable every little thing now they know it improves battery.. just shows what crap comes preinstalled on these devices

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I disabled a number of apps. We will see how it works regarding the battery life. Certainly a nice ICS feature to disable and not un install in case the apps are needed in the future.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2