Galaxy S3 to Xbox 360 DLNA

r6yr

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
That's further than I got.....my phone never even asked me about the xbox.

The connection is there with my phone. I can actually delete the allowed device and do everything over again and it will always ask me to allow the Xbox. But when I click allow, nothing happens. There are not many options on the S3 for DLNA. It's pretty much on or off and that's about it, so it's not like I have a setting wrong or something. At least not an obvious setting.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
OK, did a bunch of testing... I too could not get the XBOX to see the phone. However, I think it's an XBOX issue. I even tried on my old Droid 2 and it wouldn't see the phone and also tried using the Media Server app. Now, both of these phones come up instantly with my PS3 and I have no problems whatsoever browsing the contents of both phones, but the XBOX won't. It does however work instantly with the PS3 Media Server software I have installed in Ubuntu Linux - shows right up... so I'm not sure what the issue is at this point.

So to sum things up:

The XBOX sees and accesses my Ubuntu machine when it's running PS3 Media Server
The XBOX doesn't see my S3 or Droid 2 even though I get the prompt to allow the device on the phone like you get
The PS3 works perfectly and with no effort on both devices

I'm thinking something is up with the Xbox and upnp access.

Rev.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey I freakin called it!!! lol I know from past experience that Microsoft doesn't allow the user much freedom when it comes to personal media being played on the xbox. Thats why I loved the PS3! But now that Sony have implemented Cinavia, its rendered my PS3 useless for movie playing. I can't wait to get my Sammy smartTV and just directly stream to it without these game consoles.

r6yr

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
It just doesn't make sense that a 3 year old Droid X worked perfectly and a brand new S3 doesn't work at all.

I guess the only thing left to do is call Microsoft and let them have it... :mad:

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
It just doesn't make sense that a 3 year old Droid X worked perfectly and a brand new S3 doesn't work at all.

What's weirder is that it didn't work with my Droid 2, which is in the same family line and release time as the Droid X. I love my XBox, but there's a reason the wife and I eventually decided the PS3 wins as the media playback device. Both are hooked up to our 52" Samsung LCD via HDMI so there's no difference in quality or anything, just the PS3 is much easier to use and more functional as a media playback device from our experiences.

Rev.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What's weirder is that it didn't work with my Droid 2, which is in the same family line and release time as the Droid X. I love my XBox, but there's a reason the wife and I eventually decided the PS3 wins as the media playback device. Both are hooked up to our 52" Samsung LCD via HDMI so there's no difference in quality or anything, just the PS3 is much easier to use and more functional as a media playback device from our experiences.

Rev.

You will absolutely regret that. Xbox 360 will rule the gaming console world by 2014. With the Xbox 720 coming out and the Xbox live updates (which went public beta yesterday although signup is closed now) the Xbox will come on top. Ps3 isn't making any improvements. Seems like every other week my Xbox is getting something new.

Internet explorer and the most important... smart glass. With that you won't need your dlna connection any more. Just mirror your phone or tablet to the Xbox. Also use it as a map for the fps your playing. It will be sick.

Back on topic: had anyone tried to use it as a usb on the Xbox and see if it plays anything then?

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
You will absolutely regret that. Xbox 360 will rule the gaming console world by 2014.

LOL, regret what? I still have an XBOX and will always have one. I actually prefer it as a gaming console, but the fact is I've found media viewing to be far more convenient on the PS3. Even the Netflix app was ruined on the XBOX, the new design starts playing a video automatically even when I'm just trying to sort through a season of Star Trek for example, annoying as hell. Also, the PS3's hard drive is very easily upgradeable to a SATA laptop drive I can pickup on Newegg, the XBOX's is in a proprietary casing that would require disassembling.

I put all my 1080p vacation videos and photos on my PS3 hard drive and it's a joy to view the content. But now that's pretty irrelevant as with MediaServer I no longer need to copy movies over to the drive.

Rev.

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I use my xbox 360 as a media center extender, connected to a pc in another room. When the media center app is open on the xbox, a new option shows up in the Gallery on my S3 where I can push the video or pictures to the xbox 360. They play with no interaction with the xbox. I haven't tried outside of the media center interface.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
......I still have an XBOX and will always have one. I actually prefer it as a gaming console, but the fact is I've found media viewing to be far more convenient on the PS3........

Same here and agree with you 100%!!

I will ALWAYS prefer to game on an Xbox but for media viewing, the PS3 is the better of the 2. I tried to set up my xbox as my media center and just constantly ran into problems. I tried for a long time but ultimately game up. I'm glad these new smart TVs will allow us to bypass our gaming consoles for media viewing!

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
LOL, regret what? I still have an XBOX and will always have one. I actually prefer it as a gaming console, but the fact is I've found media viewing to be far more convenient on the PS3. Even the Netflix app was ruined on the XBOX, the new design starts playing a video automatically even when I'm just trying to sort through a season of Star Trek for example, annoying as hell. Also, the PS3's hard drive is very easily upgradeable to a SATA laptop drive I can pickup on Newegg, the XBOX's is in a proprietary casing that would require disassembling.

I put all my 1080p vacation videos and photos on my PS3 hard drive and it's a joy to view the content. But now that's pretty irrelevant as with MediaServer I no longer need to copy movies over to the drive.

Rev.

Lol. Just saying it's a better media console. Trust me in 2 years Microsoft might have themselves a come back. Xbox will be total kick ass. Just because of all the Windows integration and compatibility.

Haha. Funny that you mention the Netflix app I was just thinking to my self the Netflix app is way better on the Xbox. Just seems more smooth. And it loads way better than the ps3 which buffers a lot more.

Might have to try that media console trick with the pc, even though it runs terribly show (which is why I love my new iMac).

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Just saying it's a better media console. Trust me in 2 years Microsoft might have themselves a come back. Xbox will be total kick ass. Just because of all the Windows integration and compatibility.

I'm looking forward to it for 1080p gaming. I know there are currently a few titles that do 1080p but most are 720p so that will be a nice upgrade. I use Ubuntu Linux, haven't booted to my Windows partition for years now :D so the Windows integration aspect isn't all that important to me, I'd more hope they make it more universally integratable which they just may with the continuing popularity of Macs.

Rev.

IIIDC3III

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
So I could not get this to work either. This is what worked; with dnla turned on on the phone. I was working through the settings on the xbox and after giving up I changed the hdmi settings on the xbox and the xbox asked to restart. When the xbox restarted I saw that my GS3 ask for permission to connect to my xbox. I granted it permission and it is streaming as I type. So maybe try a simple restart of the xbox with dnla "on" onI the GS3.

Rwagner34

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I got it to work with my ps3 last night. Two things I noticed. 1, after selecting song to play there was a roughly 30 second delay before the song would play. 2, the music shows up by individual song and not by album. Does anyone know how to change this?

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
As my music stash is on my phone and my pc it seems easier to use Windows media centre or Tversity to stream the music from my pc instead of getting in a tizzy because my phone cant connect.

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
PS3mediaServer all the way!
It's free, simple, and works on the 360 as well ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This also worked flawlessly with my Bionic and I've tried everything with the SIII.. Still love this phone though

xRoyalFlush

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Imediashare works perfectly on my galaxy SIII. I enabled all the options for nearby devices. On my xbox, I went to system music player.

((xbox guide button, media, system music player, then selected the option that said I media and my device name. It had all my songs AND play list already set.))

I'm literally playing ghost recon, playing music from my phone in my xbox and posting this.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i remember my last phone (sony experia ark s [1.4ghz single core, half-gb ram i think) used to have problems using keyboard on a browser while listening to music lol. the s3s multitasking prowess amazes me :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Imediashare works perfectly on my galaxy SIII. I enabled all the options for nearby devices. On my xbox, I went to system music player.

((xbox guide button, media, system music player, then selected the option that said I media and my device name. It had all my songs AND play list already set.))

I'm literally playing ghost recon, playing music from my phone in my xbox and posting this.

Exactly!!