Normal battery drain % per hour: what are you getting?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
3.5 hours ago I took my phone off charger.
I'm down 13% which equates to 3.7% per hour.
I had 30 minutes of screen time (all of which was at 70% brightness).

I push gmail and corporate exchange mail (touchdown).

"Android System" held away for 14 minutes.

What's up with this held-awake?

Screen shots below.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Mike

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I average 1% every 2.5 hours or so just standing by. Oh, and since that dude recommended turning off S-Voice, which I don't use anyway (or prefer Speaktoitassist), and others posted on how to disable apps you are not using, I am indeed now seeing an increase in battery life. Was fine before, but now it's lasting extremely well. I think prior to my tweaks I was getting about 1% drain every 2 hours.

*EDIT - Oh, and I don't use push email, I manually fetch, so when it's just standing by it's really not doing anything in the background.

Rev.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
This phone does about 4% an hour, but if I actually you know, USE IT it stands about 10% an hour.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
This phone does about 4% an hour

Wow, that's a lot of drain, definitely not normal. Read through this thread, bit long but it has some great tips:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/190757-great-battery-improvement.html

I already didn't have the S-Voice listening feature turned on, just the double press home button option, so I didn't think I would see an improvement but over time I now definitely see the improvement. Could also have been from the bloatware I disabled, quite awesome that the feature to disable a bunch of the apps is built right in and doesn't require one to root the phone.

Rev.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
thx, will do. I already had s-voice not listening. I had read to disable it, but then turned it on because I didn't think that if it's not running, it could be hurting me, but I did disable it again.

I now have vlingo launched on a double press of the home button, though I don't use it much at all.

Mike

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
It just occurred to me that I have weather on my lock screen, and a different weather provider widget on my home screen, so I took weather off my lock screen.

I was also running life360 (a family locator service). I disable hourly location updating and instead will rely on me pressing the update button to find out where someone is when I'm interested (certainly not hourly).

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
It's really hard to say how much % drain per hour...because it totally depends on usage and settings/apps/etc.

I think it's better to measure by standby time per hour - meaning minimal, if any, usage. For me I drain about 1% per hour under normal conditions if I am not using the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I unplugged at about 6:20 this morning. I have about 32minutes for screen time and I've been texting some and streaming a little music (I'd say about 35min of music streaming) and mine looks like this...

4257689d-b2b3-668a.jpg

Edit - oh and Android Central Forums in the morning for about 10 or so minutes till I can clock in :p

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's a lot of drain, definitely not normal. Read through this thread, bit long but it has some great tips:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/190757-great-battery-improvement.html

I already didn't have the S-Voice listening feature turned on, just the double press home button option, so I didn't think I would see an improvement but over time I now definitely see the improvement. Could also have been from the bloatware I disabled, quite awesome that the feature to disable a bunch of the apps is built right in and doesn't require one to root the phone.

Rev.

I should restate that.

With highly minimal usage (couple texts, quick 1 minute phone call) I was draining that much.

When totally not using it, I charge it and lose 3% over 8 hours as I slept

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S WII on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
When totally not using it, I charge it and lose 3% over 8 hours as I slept

That makes much more sense then. Before I did my tweaks I left it on overnight as a test at 100% charge and after 8 hours of sleep I woke up and it was at 96%, so that was 1% drain every two hours. Now I am getting a bit longer life than that but that was still excellent for standby IMO.

Rev.

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that seems to be a rogue battery drain is if I go in and mess with sounds (ringtones, text sound etc.) That seems to be an ICS specific bug on Samsung phones. A couple of times my phone drained like 50% in 3 hours after I was messing with sounds. It's never good when you pick your phone up when it's been in standby for a while and it's warm LOL.

Last edited:

glassygurl

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I usually last all day with this phone unless I'm constantly on the phone. I think I'm a pretty light/moderate user during workdays and when I leave my house at 8:30 with 100%, I usually go home with 40%ish around 6:00. If I use it more often during the day, I usually hook it up to my car charger during my ride home. Then, I just use it at night and plug it in when I sleep. Satisfied with S3 battery life, especially since I've used Thunderbolt before and that phone turns off in like 4 hours even with moderate use. Used to piss me off! But now I'm happy :D

PilotCline

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I really do not know what the idle use is, but I average about 10-12% per hour. I consider myself a power user. I am constantly on it dorking around with something or other. It is my computer when I am at work, so that is why I use it so much. Screen usage is the battery killer for me, but not much you can do about that minus dimming!

dragoan

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
This was one thing that was bugging me as well. I am anal about battery drain and normally close apps as soon as I use them by long pressing the home button and remove all. I also go into task manager and force stop all of the games and apps that are shown in there and for good measure I also go into application manager and force close as many as I can in there although some just start up again that are part of the phone.

When I first got the phone, overnight on standby I was only draining about 4-5% over 8 hours which was great but now I am averaging 1-1.5% per hour. Over 8 hours I am averaging loss of 10% battery. Not sure if due to so many games and apps downloaded and installed but thought I "stopped" them. Not sure what else I can do to get back the original 4% decrease over 8 hours.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
If you download gsam battery monitor , it will give you very specific data about what is eating ur battery.

---Sent from the most advanced android mobile super-computer on the planet: the Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, featuring simultaneous voice & data and speedy 4G!!!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I thought the SIII battery was suppose to be a beast, no? Or at least for Samsung...
I get the same drain per hour (about 10%) as a heavy user on my 9 month old launch GSM GNex with the stock battery.

Hopefully the Nexus 4 will do better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I thought the SIII battery was suppose to be a beast, no? Or at least for Samsung...
I get the same drain per hour (about 10%) as a heavy user on my 9 month old launch GSM GNex with the stock battery.

Hopefully the Nexus 4 will do better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

If you're one of those users that leave the phone on doing nothing so they can show orf an extremely high screen shot, it is.

But if you actually use your phone, then don't expect more than 12 hours of usage

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III on T-Mobile! goodbye Sprint!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty