S6 battery drain is weird...

JBL121

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Received this phone from a friend when he upgraded. Works fine but the battery drain is quick and excessive. It seems that from 100% down to around 50%, it is pretty much normal. Maybe a quicker drain than I want but is consistent.

Around 50% its like my battery charge falls off a cliff. I have 2 pictures of the battery drain on consecutive days. Day 1 I got less than 3.5 hours before I hit 0%. A couple of hours later I put it on the charger for an hour and unplugged. Took the photo a few minutes later.

Day 2 photo happened this afternoon. 3 hours and 39 minutes and phone went dead. 2 hours later got home and put on the charger. Took less than an hour to charge back to 100%.

2 things to note, when the phone quits working after 3 to 4 hours, I can restart by holding power button in. It starts back up normally up to the point I get the US Cellular 4g lte screen then it blanks out again. Also I am not sure how old this phone it is but it is at least 3 years old.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Joe

day 1.jpg
Day 2.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
Is it original the battery?
Can download a app in play store called accubattery see how much it deteriorated, I would also make any back ups in case it fails and can't open phone again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That looks like an old and failing battery. You'd have to get the battery replaced if you want the phone to function normally.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Time for a new battery, as the others have noted. I'm surprised you've gotten this far along before the battery is showing this much degradation, but it's definitely worn out the shoes, the feet, and is up past the knees.

JBL121

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
New battery will be here on Tuesday. Watched a couple of youtube vids and should be no problem swapping it out.

Noticed today it did it again after about 3.5 hours. Noticed it got real hot inside a Speck case.

Question, when I get the new battery installed, is there any special routine for the initial charge?

Thanks

Joe

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
New battery will be here on Tuesday. Watched a couple of youtube vids and should be no problem swapping it out.

Noticed today it did it again after about 3.5 hours. Noticed it got real hot inside a Speck case.

Question, when I get the new battery installed, is there any special routine for the initial charge?

Thanks

Joe
Great, just see where the charge is at and top it off, also take pictures while you take it apart that way you have a reference to go by.

JBL121

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Does it hurt the battery to leave the charger plugged into the phone overnight? I always wondered about that.

Thanks for the reply.

Joe

JBL121

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Got the battery and took 30 minutes to put it in. Works fine except for one thing.

When I tap the screen the back and open programs in the bottom corners light up. I dont ever remember that happening before. Wonder if I broke something inside or having the battery unplugged reset a setting in the Android system.

I dont ever remember them lighting up.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Got the battery and took 30 minutes to put it in. Works fine except for one thing.

When I tap the screen the back and open programs in the bottom corners light up. I dont ever remember that happening before. Wonder if I broke something inside or having the battery unplugged reset a setting in the Android system.

I dont ever remember them lighting up.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe
Not supposed to , put in safe mode make sure no 3rd party apps doing this .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz