Which Email App Do You Use for You Gmail Account?

Which email app do you use?

• Total voters

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I was using the stock email app until I found that if you download the same email from the email server to your pc, the email would disappear from the phone. I didn't like that at all. I like to keep certain email messages on my phone for reference.

I tried K-9, but didn't care for it at all. Then I found an article detailing how to add a pop3 account to your gmail account. I added one of my pop3 accounts and have been finding this much to my liking.

I find the labels very useful for collating / storing email. I also like the spam filter. The default conversation mode puts some people off, but I find it useful. Running the pop3 account through Gmail is a great way to organize email on the phone. You can even put a shortcut on your home screen for your account using the label shortcut widget.

Last edited:
Reactions: bgl321

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I currently use K-9 but have used the stock S3 mail app also. The stock app doesn't do gmail, you have to use the factory installed gmail mail app. K-9 is not up to the abilities of the newer email features so I have started using Aquamail which from a preliminary trial seems to be a really well thought out and executed mail app.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I currently use K-9 but have used the stock S3 mail app also. The stock app doesn't do gmail, you have to use the factory installed gmail mail app. K-9 is not up to the abilities of the newer email features so I have started using Aquamail which from a preliminary trial seems to be a really well thought out and executed mail app.

Wow. Thanks for mentioning Aquamail! I hadn't heard of it before this, but it does look promising. I'm always on the hunt for a good email app, so I'll give this one a go for a few days before deciding whether to purchase the pro license. I'm impressed so far, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I was using the stock email app until I found that if you download the same email from the email server to your pc, the email would disappear from the phone. I didn't like that at all. I like to keep certain email messages on my phone for reference.

Leaving the email on the server is an option in email software. It'll be in the email program's server options.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Leaving the email on the server is an option in email software. It'll be in the email program's server options.

Unfortunately the stock email app on the SIII doesn't have that option. The only problem for me with the stock email app is that you lose your mail on your phone as soon as you open your email client on your pc and download mail.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately the stock email app on the SIII doesn't have that option. The only problem for me with the stock email app is that you lose your mail on your phone as soon as you open your email client on your pc and download mail.

Sounds like a problem with a setting on the PC email client. The PC client is removing the email from the server and the phone is Syncing with the server. I don't know what PC client you are using but try finding a setting there to leave the email on the server.

KenA

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Then I found an article detailing how to add a pop3 account to your gmail account. I added one of my pop3 accounts and have been finding this much to my liking.

Running the pop3 account through Gmail is a great way to organize email on the phone.

Do share....highly interested in trying this.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Do share....highly interested in trying this.

Here you are. :thumbup:

You setup pop 3's via gmail on your pc. Takes only a few minutes. The real gmail wizard is more updated than the example from the article, but the article gets the basic idea across very well.

Enjoy! :D

Reactions: KenA

ChuckeeDroid

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Maybe I need to be more clear.
The GS3 mail app syncs with the mail server. The email was removed by your computer so the GS3 just syncs to reflect that the email was removed from the server. It's not the GS3's fault and there's no setting on it that will stop this behavior.
The blame is on the computer's email software default settings. What your computer did is that it downloaded the email to itself and deleted it from the server. You can resolve this by disabling that option.
If you tell me what software you're using, I can probably give you the path to the setting.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Kaiten and Touchdown. Kaiten handles several Gmail accounts, an Everyone.net, 1 Yahoo, and 1 Rocketmail account.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I need to be more clear.
The GS3 mail app syncs with the mail server. The email was removed by your computer so the GS3 just syncs to reflect that the email was removed from the server. It's not the GS3's fault and there's no setting on it that will stop this behavior.
The blame is on the computer's email software default settings. What your computer did is that it downloaded the email to itself and deleted it from the server. You can resolve this by disabling that option.
If you tell me what software you're using, I can probably give you the path to the setting.

Correct, however I don't mind my pc client removing the mail from the mail server. What I miss with the stock email app is the ability to keep some of those emails on my phone.

By running my pop3 accounts through my gmail account, I can keep certain emails stored on my phone even though those emails have been removed from email server.

Quite honestly, I don't understand why there is a second email app on the phone, given all email accounts can be used through Gmail.

Thanks for your insight. I'm still wet behind the ears with Android & ICS.

KenA

May 1, 2010
Visit site
After setting up this, the new emails to pop3 are not coming into the HOTMAIL folder. Old emails are there....just not new emails.
Any thoughts on what may be set up incorrectly?

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

The stock email app does do gmail. For account type select other and enter your gmail username and password. That's it...

bgl321

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I've tried bunch of 3rd party email apps now and i keep going back to the gmail app. it works best for me. appreciate everyones input!

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock Gmail for gmail and the stock email for AOL, I downloaded the Yahoo app and use it naturally for yahoo but I have not found a app for my verizon account yet.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I use the Gmail app... Except I rooted and got the unreleased Gmail 4.2 app since it has pinch to zoom... Soooooo nice!

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums