How can I tell if a battery is REAL or not?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I got 3 batteries and the charger for $12 bucks on eBay, obviously fake, but they're treating me well so far. I keep one in my wallet, one in the car etc. Its only been a few weeks but they seem to hold the charge good enough. In actual usage they maybe drain a tiny bit faster than the stock battery, but not enough to really be an issue. I recommend the cheap ebay batteries :D

Does the NFC work?

If it does I wouldn't mind cheap batteries.

Had great luck with them with my EVO

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Well for the first time I have had a Chinese battery fail.

It simply stopped working. Glad I didn't pay for it

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If the suspect battery is noticeably thicker than the one that came with the phone, isn't that also a giveaway? A few months ago I ordered a couple of spare batteries from Amazon.com and noticed that they don't seem to fit into the back of the phone quite as easily as they should. It's also more difficult to fit the back cover over one of the suspect battery, although it can still be done. Although we've been using them and they work well enough, I now think they're knockoffs and we've stopped using them on a routine basis. I'm just grateful that neither of our phones was damaged.

Last edited:

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't trust a fake battery in my phone. It would seem like a great saving but peace of mind is what you pay for. If that battery fails and destroys your phone and damages anything else around it then it's not really saving you money :-/

Sent using a Samsung Galaxy S3 and Tapatalk 4

I'm usually on Twitter @Ichi_Bear ;-)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
99.99% of the batteries sold on ebay as OEM are fakes. So are most of the batteries sold by 3rd party resellers on Amazon. If you want to be sure you're getting a genuine Samsung battery, you'd better order it from Samsung's web site:

Samsung Galaxy S? III Standard Battery (2100mA)

And there's a clue for you. Samsung wants $40 for their battery. It's unlikely a battery selling for less than half that is authentic.

I've bought batteries on Amazon that don't claim to be OEM, but are 1/4th the price of OEM. They generally have a lower capacity than claimed, but work well enough as backup batteries. What I seem to have noticed is that it's really important to make sure you don't overcharge the OEMs. I've had a couple that developed a bulge in the middle after a while. I wonder if the circuitry in the battery isn't properly communicating with the phone and allows it to get over-charged.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a strong feeling the guy doesn't even speak English natively (which is irritating)..
Which stands to reason, since Samsung is a Korean company.

You got a battery for cheap. Use it, and don't worry about it. Hell, you got it on E-bay. What do you want? Magic?

stoatwblr

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Ebay has been cracking down hard on fake sellers - they _will_ cancel seller accounts if complaints are made.

The worst place for fakes is Amazon, who really don't seem to give a flying fig. If you use Paypal you can dispute the sale that way.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Buy direct from amazon, you should be ok. I wouldn't buy third party amazon for batteries. Personally I buy from Samsung directly.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non