Iphone will boost the gdp by. 25 to 1%

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Nice. You agree with my sarcasm.

Fact: Project Butter in Jelly Bean exists simply because even with killer specs, the user experience in Android device with ICS or earlier just wasn't as smooth as the competition.

No one cares how many megapixels a phone camera has. They just want it to take great photos. Dual-core or quad-core? Irrelevant right now. Especially in the US.

The spec war is over.

See above response to your twin JHBThree. And I'll add, you don't know fact from fiction on this subject.

The spec war is never over. All the major players in the microelectronic business have not abandoned R&D.

'The spec war is over'. That's about the dumbest thing I've read on these forums.
And your pronouncement coming on the heels of the IP5 announcement, exposes you as an iApologist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
To me the iphone5 is the symbol of stupidity in people. For the cost alone you get so much more for less money with the S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
People believe Apple to be a status symbol and that if they have anything Apple they are immediately cool and rich which is quite frankly just wrong! The SGS3 offers more per dollar than the iP5 and they were priced the same (subsidized) except for that the SGS3 offers an mSD card slot so theres basically no need to buy the more expensive 32GB model.

However Apple's marketing is hard at work right now considering my 80 year old grandmother just asked me if I was getting an iP5 because she heard on the news that it was the best new device out. *face palm* I explained to her how Apple works and that they are just one of those companies that people buy because it makes them feel special and that in the end they're just over priced and overhyped crap.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
See above response to your twin JHBThree. And I'll add, you don't know fact from fiction on this subject.

The spec war is never over. All the major players in the microelectronic business have not abandoned R&D.

'The spec war is over'. That's about the dumbest thing I've read on these forums.
And your pronouncement coming on the heels of the IP5 announcement, exposes you as an iApologist.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

The specs don't really matter. The spec war is over. It has been over.

Of course, R&D is going to happen. Chip manufacturers are still going to improve. Cameras are going to get better. But the actual specs don't really matter. Their real world performance does.

Go ahead and call me whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that ecosystems and user experience are much more important factors than tech specs.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The specs don't really matter. The spec war is over. It has been over.

Of course, R&D is going to happen. Chip manufacturers are still going to improve. Cameras are going to get better. But the actual specs don't really matter. Their real world performance does.

Go ahead and call me whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that ecosystems and user experience are much more important factors than tech specs.

Like everyone else said on here, "your joking right?" Spec wars is by no means over with dual core processors, it might not even be over with quad core because once something new and TRULY innovative comes along that runs faster, better and smarter whatever was the top dog is now the mid range dog, no one that knows anything about tech wants it so it goes on sale and eventually reaches the EOL and then the manufacturer typically makes the next iteration of the device where they outperform the now top dog. Its a cycle old becomes new, company that is now old wants to be new again so they make a new stellar product. Unless of course said company is Apple then they just make a device with last years tech and let the marketing department do the rest.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Good experiences with things like Google Voice Actions, Siri, S-Voice, Google Now, Motorola Smart Actions, and whatever the heck they call that thing on Samsung phones that tracks your eyes so it doesn't timeout the screen are what matter. This is where companies are innovating. The software. The experience. The ecosystem.

Bumping specs up- not innovative and are simply irrelevant. Hardware specs have been evolutionary. There really hasn't been anything revolutionary in hardware in a long time.

bdmridgback

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I say the numbers are more than correct. Look at it this way...

Look at every unemployed person or those on food stamps, they all have an iPhone! The iPhone is no longer a status symbol. That is the problem with Americans these days...priorities are all messed up. Even I know a friend of a friend that is on govt assistance with 3 kids and no father but she has a iPhone! In one way or another you and I working folks bought that phone for her.

Either way, yes, apple will do those numbers, just from the pure trailer trash that will buy Iphones alone!

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I say the numbers are more than correct. Look at it this way...

Look at every unemployed person or those on food stamps, they all have an iPhone! The iPhone is no longer a status symbol. That is the problem with Americans these days...priorities are all messed up. Even I know a friend of a friend that is on govt assistance with 3 kids and no father but she has a iPhone! In one way or another you and I working folks bought that phone for her.

Either way, yes, apple will do those numbers, just from the pure trailer trash that will buy Iphones alone!

Sent from my Innovative Galaxy S3

Wow. And what would you say about that "trailer trash" if they had an Android phone? Dare I even ask, what if that trailer trash had your same "innovative" Galaxy S III??

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Project Butter exists...because....isnt that the goal for any company....to get better? Why does it have to be only compared to the competition...and not also compared with itself? IMO....WP is smoother than the iOS. Android and iOS are more closer now...and thats before Butter.

Every version of Android has gotten smoother. I have a Droid 1 with 2.0.1....if one wants to talk about lag and smoothness. Project Butter...lol.Google has been making Android smoother since day one. They are just putting more emphasis on it now. Its not like they woke up one morning and said...."we gotta make Android smoother."

Whoever thinks the spec war is over in the mobile market....doesnt own a PC. Or an HDTV. Or a smartphone. How many ppl on here still use their very first smartphone they ever had as their main phone? How many ppl on here used Android in 2009, 2010 and still use their first Android phone as their main phone? How many ppl still rock the orig iPhone? As long as ppl think more mega pixels = better camera.....the specs war will never be over.

Last edited:

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Project Butter exists...because....isnt that the goal for any company....to get better? Why does it have to be only compared to the competition...and not also compared with itself? IMO....WP is smoother than the iOS. Android and iOS are more closer now...and thats before Butter.

Every version of Android has gotten smoother. I have a Droid 1 with 2.0.1....if one wants to talk about lag and smoothness. Project Butter...lol.Google has been making Android smoother since day one. They are just putting more emphasis on it now. Its not like they woke up one morning and said...."we gotta make Android smoother."

Whoever thinks the spec war is over in the mobile market....doesnt own a PC. Or an HDTV. Or a smartphone. How many ppl on here still use their very first smartphone they ever had as their main phone? How many ppl on here used Android in 2009, 2010 and still use their first Android phone as their main phone? How many ppl still rock the orig iPhone? As long as ppl think more mega pixels = better camera.....the specs war will never be over.

The iPhone has proven u don't need 2gb of ram and a quad core to make a smooth work phone.it has gotten to the point now that nothing will seem like a major improvement. Not like the days of the og Droid where the Droid x and incredible were all big improvements.it happens with everything look at cars. Ya there were ways to make a car a lot better in every way back in the 80's. Now a days all new cars incremental upgrades because they are to the point where there isn't any kind of drastic changes u can do to the mechanics to make it sooo much better than the previous year. Now they focus on price gas mileage and amenities for the driver. Kind of like smart phones. Its gotten to the point where the OS whether it be IOS or android needs to catch up to the technology inside the phone. Why does it matter if u have 2gb of ram and a 2ghz quad core if the os can't even utilize it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone has proven u don't need 2gb of ram and a quad core to make a smooth work phone.it has gotten to the point now that nothing will seem like a major improvement. Not like the days of the og Droid where the Droid x and incredible were all big improvements.it happens with everything look at cars. Ya there were ways to make a car a lot better in every way back in the 80's. Now a days all new cars incremental upgrades because they are to the point where there isn't any kind of drastic changes u can do to the mechanics to make it sooo much better than the previous year. Now they focus on price gas mileage and amenities for the driver. Kind of like smart phones. Its gotten to the point where the OS whether it be IOS or android needs to catch up to the technology inside the phone. Why does it matter if u have 2gb of ram and a 2ghz quad core if the os can't even utilize it?

And who says Android needs 2GB ram and quad core for smoothness? When the Droid X1 got GB.....it became smoother. My RAZR...smoother than my Droid X1. When the Droid 1got Froyo...smoother than with 2.0.1.

Because Android has gotten smoother with each OS version......For the longest time...Sense UI was the smoothest Android experience....thats started with the Incredible. A phone from 2010.

Who says Android cant utilize dual, quad core or more ram? Better multi tasking isnt utilizing it? Try multi tasking on my Droid 1 with 2.0.1.....and my RAZR. I utilize the better hardware every day.

A lil test for ppl with a dual core Android phones on GB. Get System Panel Lite. Go to the cpu settings in the app. Swipe around on the screen or pull down the notification shade. You will see both cores in use. Stop.....you will see one core idle...then stop. And only one core with be lit up. That to me says its in use..been in use...in GB..it depends on how we use our phones if we can see it or not.

See...thats the biggest problem when trying to compare different mobile OS's or even the same mobile OS....we all dont use our phones the same. I use mine mainly as a phone. So whatever smoothness or lag ppl say Android has.....I rarely see it. I dont see it in the gaming I do, I dont see it watching Netflix... I dont see it as much as some of these other ppl. What I do see is some Android myths still being touted. This is 2012....not 2008. And some of those Android myths died in 2010.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It would probably appease some if you said "the Nexus 7 proves you don't need 2GB of RAM to have a smooth user experience".

:p

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
This being one of the biggest myths: "Why does it matter if u have 2gb of ram and a 2ghz quad core if the os can't even utilize it?" Or ppl were saying that about dual core from last year. The OS can utilize it fine...its up to app devs to take advantage if it. System Panel Lite says it all.....on GB. Android has been a multi threaded OS....for awhile now:

AnandTech - LG Optimus 2X & NVIDIA Tegra 2 Review: The First Dual-Core Smartphone

Like I said before...I try to be realistic.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

Doesn't take much ram, to run fast , because their homescreen is just an infinite app drawer

And their task manager only shows the app icon

Just my opinion on why they don't lag

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't take much ram, to run fast , because their homescreen is just an infinite app drawer

And their task manager only shows the app icon

Just my opinion on why they don't lag

On my Samsung galaxy s3 running android 4.0

Because unlike ios, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not in infinite cluttered homescreens

The chief reason why iPhones don't lag much under normal operation can be attributed to the closed ecosystem. Give a company complete control over the OS and the hardware that's running it and you get ideal optimization (for the most part). Contrast this with Android, an open source operating system that's being made to work on hundreds of different devices with varying hardware configurations and manufacturer-specific UI add-ons. Some Android devices are remarkably good, while others are not.

To everyone else:

For people to say that specs are the only thing matter in the context of this discussion is false. I wouldn't go as far as saying that specs don't matter, but rather, the balancing of technological innovation with usability does...a lot. For companies that truly understand this, a lot more goes on behind the scenes than just slapping the latest silicon into a device and calling it a day. And in all fairness, I think Apple understands this concept more than any Android device manufacturer does. The closest thing we get to this balance on the Android side is the Nexus project, another fine example of why a spec sheet isn't the ONLY thing that matters.

Slamming Apple over their frivolous litigation crusade is one thing, but to immediately jump and pronounce that the iPhone 5 doesn't stand a chance against the current competition because there's "nothing innovative about the hardware" is hearsay. And I'm not even an iPhone user (never owned one).

Getting back to specs and innovation topic, I chose to order an unlocked Galaxy Nexus instead of jumping for an S III to replace my old Epic 4G on Sprint. Why? Consistent developer support is now far more important to me than having the fastest processor and the most RAM. My Epic got a grand total of ONE major system update (Froyo to Gingerbread) since I bought it, and even that came way later than it should have. I had to hack the crap out it (file system conversion, baseband flash, etc.) to get it running CM9's unofficial ICS, but it ran very smoothly up until the day I broke the screen...on two-year old hardware. The very fact that I don't have to fuss with rooting and custom ROMs just to get an Android phone that isn't loaded with garbage and actually does run on the latest that Android has to offer is far more appealing to me than having the flavor-of-the-week powerhouse that might get ONE update. That's just me, anyway...

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
And who says Android needs 2GB ram and quad core for smoothness? When the Droid X1 got GB.....it became smoother. My RAZR...smoother than my Droid X1. When the Droid 1got Froyo...smoother than with 2.0.1.

Because Android has gotten smoother with each OS version......For the longest time...Sense UI was the smoothest Android experience....thats started with the Incredible. A phone from 2010.

Who says Android cant utilize dual, quad core or more ram? Better multi tasking isnt utilizing it? Try multi tasking on my Droid 1 with 2.0.1.....and my RAZR. I utilize the better hardware every day.

A lil test for ppl with a dual core Android phones on GB. Get System Panel Lite. Go to the cpu settings in the app. Swipe around on the screen or pull down the notification shade. You will see both cores in use. Stop.....you will see one core idle...then stop. And only one core with be lit up. That to me says its in use..been in use...in GB..it depends on how we use our phones if we can see it or not.

See...thats the biggest problem when trying to compare different mobile OS's or even the same mobile OS....we all dont use our phones the same. I use mine mainly as a phone. So whatever smoothness or lag ppl say Android has.....I rarely see it. I dont see it in the gaming I do, I dont see it watching Netflix... I dont see it as much as some of these other ppl. What I do see is some Android myths still being touted. This is 2012....not 2008. And some of those Android myths died in 2010.

I agree with the system panel thing, I used to use System Panel on my Rezound before ICS and the second core would always be asleep and after ICS it showed that it was in use. I just figured that was apart of GB's better multithreading. didn't get a chance to test my theory on my Razr because when I got it, it already had ICS preinstalled.

I agree with what some people are saying, neither is really more important (software or hardware) because they both play a huge part in the overall experience however what Ry was saying about specs not mattering at all I don't agree with! The software will always rely on the hardware to run and vice versa.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The chief reason why iPhones don't lag much under normal operation can be attributed to the closed ecosystem. Give a company complete control over the OS and the hardware that's running it and you get ideal optimization (for the most part). Contrast this with Android, an open source operating system that's being made to work on hundreds of different devices with varying hardware configurations and manufacturer-specific UI add-ons. Some Android devices are remarkably good, while others are not.

To everyone else:

For people to say that specs are the only thing matter in the context of this discussion is false. I wouldn't go as far as saying that specs don't matter, but rather, the balancing of technological innovation with usability does...a lot. For companies that truly understand this, a lot more goes on behind the scenes than just slapping the latest silicon into a device and calling it a day. And in all fairness, I think Apple understands this concept more than any Android device manufacturer does. The closest thing we get to this balance on the Android side is the Nexus project, another fine example of why a spec sheet isn't the ONLY thing that matters.

Slamming Apple over their frivolous litigation crusade is one thing, but to immediately jump and pronounce that the iPhone 5 doesn't stand a chance against the current competition because there's "nothing innovative about the hardware" is hearsay. And I'm not even an iPhone user (never owned one).

Getting back to specs and innovation topic, I chose to order an unlocked Galaxy Nexus instead of jumping for an S III to replace my old Epic 4G on Sprint. Why? Consistent developer support is now far more important to me than having the fastest processor and the most RAM. My Epic got a grand total of ONE major system update (Froyo to Gingerbread) since I bought it, and even that came way later than it should have. I had to hack the crap out it (file system conversion, baseband flash, etc.) to get it running CM9's unofficial ICS, but it ran very smoothly up until the day I broke the screen...on two-year old hardware. The very fact that I don't have to fuss with rooting and custom ROMs just to get an Android phone that isn't loaded with garbage and actually does run on the latest that Android has to offer is far more appealing to me than having the flavor-of-the-week powerhouse that might get ONE update. That's just me, anyway...

Wholeheartedly agree here. Of course, saying "specs don't matter" is like a shocking headline but your points about the benefits of a closed ecosystem and the balance between innovation and usability are exactly the points I'm trying to make.

The tech specs will continue to evolve each year (which is why yes, the specs don't matter) but the software needs to catch up so that the experience for end-users will be much better - "buttery" smooth like what iOS users are used and "buttery" smooth like Jelly Bean's Project Butter.

Benchmarks are just pissing contests.

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

Actually it's 50/50. iOS is developed well enough that it runs well in whatever the specs of the phone is. The deal is after one to two major updates (iOS3 to iOS4 or iOS5) the phone does get sluggish. What the 2GB of RAM and Quad-Core does is allow the phone to be more "future" proof. What's the point of having a Dual-Core and 512MB/1GB of RAM if the phone will end up being similar prices. If they need to keep the OS a particular way due to the mediocre hardware of a phone it isn't a good design is it? In a way it holds back the OS from being even better (implementing new features that require more horsepower)

iPhone runs great with iOS but the upgrade to iOS4/5 for iPhone 3/3GS (iPod Touch 2G) showed me that minimal hardware isn't so great if you're looking to have the phone or device for a few years. This is also a way Apple can deny some new features to people who use older phones.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Actually it's 50/50. iOS is developed well enough that it runs well in whatever the specs of the phone is. The deal is after one to two major updates (iOS3 to iOS4 or iOS5) the phone does get sluggish. What the 2GB of RAM and Quad-Core does is allow the phone to be more "future" proof. What's the point of having a Dual-Core and 512MB/1GB of RAM if the phone will end up being similar prices. If they need to keep the OS a particular way due to the mediocre hardware of a phone it isn't a good design is it? In a way it holds back the OS from being even better (implementing new features that require more horsepower)

iPhone runs great with iOS but the upgrade to iOS4/5 for iPhone 3/3GS (iPod Touch 2G) showed me that minimal hardware isn't so great if you're looking to have the phone or device for a few years. This is also a way Apple can deny some new features to people who use older phones.

That's what I'm saying apple does a pretty good job of making the phone be a great phone and lasting 2 years. An iPhone 3 with iOS 5 I would expect to be sluggish as that's 3 years since the 3 was released. At least the 3 got those updates. Show me am Android phone that's 3 years old running ics