TouchWiz vs Nova vs Apex

blizeH

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is a good run down anywhere of the features available and missing from each of the launchers? I'm playing around with the three of them right now and find it quite overwhelming, even to the point of not even being able to narrow it down to just 2!

For some reason I have a feeling (maybe because it's standard) that the TouchWiz launcher would maybe be more stable, and maybe a little faster than the other two? The other two no doubt have more features though. I'm also drawn towards TouchWiz because I guess it'd be easier to stay with that when I update my phone's OS? (JB I think is out next month for the S3 right?)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, I compared them all awhile ago, and came to the conclusion that Apex and Nova are really similar, which only a couple minor differences (which I can't even remember off the top of my head). I ended up going with Nova. Anyways, the main advantages over Touchwiz for me were:

• Folder creation: works more like actual Android where you just drag the icons together to create folders (as well as they have more options about how to display them)
  • The ease of customizing the dock (I never could figure out how to move the app drawer icon to the middle in Touchwiz, or put folders on the dock and stuff)
  • Customizing the app drawer with separate categories/tabs
  • Transition effects and options.

I had concerns about what I would lose with switching launchers, but I guess it's confusing where Touchwiz (the launcher) ends and Touchwiz (the skin) begins. Like I didn't want to lose the motion controls and stuff like that, but none of that has anything to do with the launcher itself. The only thing I really lost that I wanted was one of the calendar widgets, which is Touchwiz specific.

Anyways, you should try out the free versions of both to see which one you like better. I liked both better than Touchwiz. I did have to root my phone to get the widget previews in the drawer (if you're not rooted, when you click on Widgets in the drawer, you just get a popup list of them, rather than the nice previews).

Last edited:

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I am currently toying with differet launchers at the moment. The only thing is,for me,i am just tempted to stick with TW. I am hoping with the new JB update it will iron out some of the little things that arent quite right with my S3. Other than that i am perfectly happy with what i have :)

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there is a good run down anywhere of the features available and missing from each of the launchers? I'm playing around with the three of them right now and find it quite overwhelming, even to the point of not even being able to narrow it down to just 2!

For some reason I have a feeling (maybe because it's standard) that the TouchWiz launcher would maybe be more stable, and maybe a little faster than the other two? The other two no doubt have more features though. I'm also drawn towards TouchWiz because I guess it'd be easier to stay with that when I update my phone's OS? (JB I think is out next month for the S3 right?)

Touchwiz is naturally going to be more stable than a 3rd party launcher since Samsung is tailoring everything towards it.

As for Apex and Nova they are very very similar and you wont be disappointed with either. It really is a matter of enhancements that are not huge underlying core features for the launcher. I use Apex simply because it can do 10x10 screen arrangement but when I used Nova I had no complaints.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz is naturally going to be more stable than a 3rd party launcher since Samsung is tailoring everything towards it.

I'm not sure I completely agree with that. I've been using Nova for a couple of months now and I could count the number of crashes on zero fingers. I've never really noticed any issues with 3rd party launchers, although I guess back when I used Launcher Pro about 2 years ago it would crash occasionally.

Of course, YMMV, but IMO, stability is not really an issue. Even if Nova is less stable and crashed today, it would be the first time I've experienced it.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I completely agree with that. I've been using Nova for a couple of months now and I could count the number of crashes on zero fingers. I've never really noticed any issues with 3rd party launchers, although I guess back when I used Launcher Pro about 2 years ago it would crash occasionally.

Of course, YMMV, but IMO, stability is not really an issue. Even if Nova is less stable and crashed today, it would be the first time I've experienced it.
My comment was directed at the OP's assessment of Touchwiz feeling faster and more stable. I have zero issues with Apex, aside for the update snafu from yesterday, so I agree with you completely. If a launcher is super popular chances are it's doing something right.

blizeH

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all, I'm really liking the speed of Nova, the features of Apex and the widgets (Calendar, weather) of TouchWiz - argh! :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
im STILL stuck on Go Launcher EX lol, must be gettin old, change scares me ;)
ill see if JB fixes the rewrite lag and if not, ill buy Nova Prime :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Kizzmocat

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Nova with Fancy widgets and Android pro widgets can't be beat! Plus its all free, i did actually get fancy widgets pro so that i could get all the clock and weather skins! Love to change it up a bit!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Nova with Fancy widgets and Android pro widgets can't be beat! Plus its all free, i did actually get fancy widgets pro so that i could get all the clock and weather skins! Love to change it up a bit!

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

id need to buy Nova Prime to get the feaures i get for free now lol

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I use Nova free currently and love it. The only thing that really annoys me with Touchwiz is the fact that you can't control hpw many icons per row. The screen on the s3 is humongous and to only be allowed 4 (or is it 5) icons wide is ridiculous. I have never had Nova crash on me.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah Touchwiz launcher is disgraceful.
think its designed for average people who dont wana customise or anythin.
thank google for android for us non-average people :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lmao i didnt see u as the average type mate.... youre on a forum like this at this time of night so i wouldnt call that average ;)
p.s, whered your username come from mate and is it true o2 are gettin 4g?

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
My username has been with me for many years :) if you can see my picture or avatar then you can understand why :D
I check the forum as often as I can. I'm trying to learn off everyone about the s3. Plus when you start work at 5am there isn't much else to do.
As for ok and 4g. I dunno. I'm not really a techy guy just basic info on things to get me through. Which is why I sort of scratch my head when people talk about rooting there phone etc. As far as customization I'm not a big fan of any of the launchers out there. But I haven't given it time to get used to it haha.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lol i hav crap eyes. ill check out ur avatar 2moro (2day lol... after sleep.
what u work as mate?

blizeH

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all - just grabbed Android Pro and Beautiful Widgets :)

The one I'd possibly miss is the TouchWiz calendar though, it's really quite nice compared to other calendar's I've seen

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

The one I'd possibly miss is the TouchWiz calendar though, it's really quite nice compared to other calendar's I've seen

Go Calander widget with transparent theme is pretty nice.. or lime green :)

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Try aCalendar. It's one of my favorite apps. As for launchers, which drew me to this post, I was using Go Launcher for the longest time but after the ics update things got laggy. It started using upwards of 80+mb's of Ram and slowing down the phone. Now trying out Apex and liking it. It appears that it stays in the cached process rather than the running processes which is saving ram space. I'm liking it so far.

Message brought to you by the amazing Droid Razr Maxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress