Just rooted my phone,now what?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
what do you find is the cpu clock "sweet spot" on s3 mate? (i know it will differ from the global s3)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I wish I could provide that information but my S3 isn't rooted. I'm a bit paranoid of my devices breaking down if I root them. I usually root my device after my warranties run out, and i decide to not pay for the insurance.

My only hopes would be that if its the same SoC as the Note 2 then that it should be able to run at 1.6GHz with no issue (although it's an obvious belief.) Only concern would be how long it would last with a 200MHz speed bump on a 2300 or is it 2100 mah stock battery compared to the Note 2's monster battery.

Best to ask for good clocks at the xda forums or somewhere they tinker their devices more.

.:edit:.

Overclocking an International S3 to 1600MHz gets a quadrant score higher than a stock Note 2 I believe.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
First thing I do when I root a device is remove unnecessary software/apps/files. Then I start modifying files (adding more bibles to my app or adding new settings.

My first reason to root is to overclock though. I like to find an effecient clock for any device (performance/effeciency [battery, heat] ratio)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Yea, this is what I need to learn about next

This ROM didn't come with a power saving mode

And I still need someone to help explain this over clocking and under clocking things and what are the best performance settings for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy s3 running cyanogen mod 10

Like a boss!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i used to use "no frills cpu control" app, set it to "on demand" set min speed low to save battery when the phones doin nuthin, set max to as high as i could get it to run stabley..
just keep an eye on temperature.. i wouldnt wana go over 50?c

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
i used to use "no frills cpu control" app, set it to "on demand" set min speed low to save battery when the phones doin nuthin, set max to as high as i could get it to run stabley..
just keep an eye on temperature.. i wouldnt wana go over 50?c

This is how cm10 has it set up upon boot

So what would I need to do to enter power saving mode

Also, regarding the temperature thing you mentioned, when you set it too high or low the temperature changes?

Like a boss!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349846516481.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349846516481.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 58

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah the higher you set the clock, the hotter itl get. for powersave just set the max lower (im not sure what TW powersave underclocks it to) just set max as low as the phone will function for txts and calls for power saving.
think No Frills has a safety thing so that if the phone crashes, it will go back to default settings to prevent a boot loop so youre pretty safe to mess around.
theres also stability test apps (cant remember any names) to really push the phone and see if it remains stable at whatever clock speed u have it at

just looked at your screenshot... DONT check that box until you know the settings are stable mate ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
yeah the higher you set the clock, the hotter itl get. for powersave just set the max lower (im not sure what TW powersave underclocks it to) just set max as low as the phone will function for txts and calls for power saving.
think No Frills has a safety thing so that if the phone crashes, it will go back to default settings to prevent a boot loop so youre pretty safe to mess around.
theres also stability test apps (cant remember any names) to really push the phone and see if it remains stable at whatever clock speed u have it at

just looked at your screenshot... DONT check that box until you know the settings are stable mate ;)

Alright, so I'm testing it a bit, does this mean that I'm over clocking it?

Like a boss!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349873730039.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349873730039.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 55

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
nah isnt the US s3 clocked at 1.5 by default?
youv just set the minimum lower which is good for battery as long as the phone still works while screen off (recieves calls, txt etc)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
nah isnt the US s3 clocked at 1.5 by default?
youv just set the minimum lower which is good for battery as long as the phone still works while screen off (recieves calls, txt etc)

Oh yea

So what exactly am I doing when I set the minimum higher?

Doesn't that make my device faster?

Like a boss!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
try settin the max to 1.6xx mate, im sure it can go higher, then test it with quadrant app to see if its improved performance...

theres another app called "set cpu" or something thats a bit more complex i think and maype isnt free any more

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
try settin the max to 1.6xx mate, im sure it can go higher, then test it with quadrant app to see if its improved performance...

That's the highest it can go for my phone, I can't go to 1.6 its not on the list

But what exactly am I doing when I increase my minimum? Does it make my phone faster?

Like a boss!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
nah increasing the minimum just stops the phone from slowing down when it wants to.. pointless mate.
maybe it was the quad core id read been overclocked to 1.7x ghz or maybe a different rom...

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
nah increasing the minimum just stops the phone from slowing down when it wants to.. pointless mate.
maybe it was the quad core id read been overclocked to 1.7x ghz or maybe a different rom...

Well if I stop the phone from slowing down that technically means you will always have a fast phone

I'm not sure but I feel super fast today on this, maybe because it's just because it's my second day of jelly bean, or raising the minimum makes me faster

Like a boss!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
yeah but fast when it doesnt need to be. with "ondemand", the cpu speeds right up when you need it to (scrolling for example) then when you dont touch the phone it should drop right down to minimum (saving battery)
theres real-time cpu monitor apps where youll see what i mean.
seems like your rom doesnt have overclocking mate. youll have to ask someone with same rom man

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
maybe just setting it to "on demand" has speeded it up.. dont know what its at by default.. but youll notice a battery drain with "min" set higher than default mate

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
maybe just setting it to "on demand" has speeded it up.. dont know what its at by default.. but youll notice a battery drain with "min" set higher than default mate

Yea I set it to one demand with high minimum and max maximum and I can already feel that my keyboard registers faster

It was on on demand the whole time so I should be fine with on demand in and high minimum and high maximum

Like a boss!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
try setting the minimum back to default mate and see if its still as fast... just dont want you wasting battery for nothing.
try Quadrant test at each setting too with ram cleared each time to keep it fair ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
try setting the minimum back to default mate and see if its still as fast... just dont want you wasting battery for nothing.
try Quadrant test at each setting too with ram cleared each time to keep it fair ;)

I did and my keyboard felt slower, lol, now it feels super fast

I think this is the best setting to have, because it's on demand it should only run this fast then my screen is on

Like a boss!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
not sure about that man. wish someone more knowlegable was here lol.
youl be able to tell by batt life and temp'.
im just surprised cm10 isnt lettin u overclock..

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
not sure about that man. wish someone more knowlegable was here lol.
youl be able to tell by batt life and temp'.
im just surprised cm10 isnt lettin u overclock..

Temperature has been fine, around 94 degrees

Like a boss!