Why did this device get so popular?

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I used to have an HTC Thunderbolt. Carrying a spare battery or having a charger everywhere you go was a must.
The S3 battery is OK as is. I don't have a spare for it. (but I do have numerous chargers everywhere because of the T-Bolt)
If it was non removable, it wouldn't have the connectors and extra protection electronics that are needed in the battery pack, so it would have maybe 10 to 20% more capacity. I would almost prefer that bit more capacity.
Just don't take away my removable SD card slot.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate your comments and agreement, but you're just flipping what we're saying and trying to make your point using what we say. I didn't say it wasn't important to some. I understand that everyone uses their devices differently. But I am just going off of a debate we had in the Razr Maxx forum a few months back where the removeable battery side was acting like it was the biggest travesty on the planet to have non removeable batteries. But ultimately it's an opinion scenario where no one has to be convinced. If you want to remove batteries, there's options. If you want a non-removeable, there's options. Personally, I have a counter point to every argument that is made for the value of removeable batteries. But it is pointless to hash it out because it wont change anyone's mind.

My request is that you don't just quote us and then use the "I know you are but what am I?" response. You can if you want to, but it kills the fun and entertainment of a healthy debate.

I fully understand both sides. I was just stating why I personally favor having a removable battery. It would annoy me to teardown a phone when I could of just had a phone with a removable battery.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It baffles me when people act like a non-removable battery is the end of the world.
I never said it was the end of the world, but it is a negative in my book. I prefer not to have my mobile phone connected to a charger and to just swap out batteries. Hence, I don't buy mobile phones that don't have removable batteries.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate your comments and agreement, but you're just flipping what we're saying and trying to make your point using what we say. I didn't say it wasn't important to some. I understand that everyone uses their devices differently. But I am just going off of a debate we had in the Razr Maxx forum a few months back where the removeable battery side was acting like it was the biggest travesty on the planet to have non removeable batteries. But ultimately it's an opinion scenario where no one has to be convinced. If you want to remove batteries, there's options. If you want a non-removeable, there's options. Personally, I have a counter point to every argument that is made for the value of removeable batteries. But it is pointless to hash it out because it wont change anyone's mind.

My request is that you don't just quote us and then use the "I know you are but what am I?" response. You can if you want to, but it kills the fun and entertainment of a healthy debate.

No offence, because I really do agree with the comments you've made here, but I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to someone else that was making comments that were not the same as you. Further, when I did respond to a comment that you directed at me, I specifically said that I agreed with you fully. Then went on to explain how your comment (which I agreed with) was different than the one I disagreed with.

So don't insinuate that I'm lumping all the counter-arguments together and saying, "I know you are but what am I?" Because I'm not.

Further, don't blame me for any past baggage you may have had in some other forum talking about some other phone. I've never made any comments pertaining to the non-removable battery on the Droid Maxx.

Now since you seem to want to discuss it, let's discuss it. You say you have a counter point to every argument that is made for the value of a removable battery. In so far as it relates to the GSIII and the HOX, what would those counter points be?

The GSIII has a larger battery, so it isn't like the Droid Maxx where you actually get something out of it.

The thickness really isn't much different between the GSIII and the HOX. Maybe the HOX is a little thinner (I really don't know) but personally, I wouldn't say thickness makes a difference between the two.

People claim they like the "solid" feel of the HOX and claim the GSIII feels cheap with its plastic back. I'll give you that argument if it is important to you. I've never played with a real HOX so I can't compare myself, but I don't think the removable battery would make a difference. Even if the GSIII didn't have a removable battery, Samsung has shown that they have an affection for cheap plastic backs. I don't think anything would be different if they just glued the plastic back on.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear any other opinions about why the non-removable battery on the HOX is better than the removable battery on the GSIII. Perhaps there are a few that I just haven't thought of.

-Suntan

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I never said it was the end of the world, but it is a negative in my book. I prefer not to have my mobile phone connected to a charger and to just swap out batteries. Hence, I don't buy mobile phones that don't have removable batteries.

And that's exactly what you should do.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Now HOW did you make the leap from a phone discussion to politics?

Exactly lol. But I think Samsung is trying to make their phones too much like the I phone. Expecially the note 2, it has options found in the I phone such as the flash going of when you get an alert. Doesn't bug me, just think Sammy can make a better phone without the use of I phone things. I love my note tho. :D

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Exactly lol. But I think Samsung is trying to make their phones too much like the I phone. Expecially the note 2, it has options found in the I phone such as the flash going of when you get an alert. Doesn't bug me, just think Sams to Good for the I phone style.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

How is that flash alert feature listed? Is in the Accessibility options?

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
A rechargeable battery pack isn't nearly as convenient. I have my extra battery at home. If I'm going out at night I just pop in the new battery and bam 100% charge. A battery pack has to be tethered to your phone for some time. A battery pack won't get you from 0% to 100% in 7 seconds like a removable battery can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A rechargeable battery pack isn't nearly as convenient. I have my extra battery at home. If I'm going out at night I just pop in the new battery and bam 100% charge. A battery pack has to be tethered to your phone for some time. A battery pack won't get you from 0% to 100% in 7 seconds like a removable battery can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Of course.

But it's still an option.

And you won't be stuck with a dead phone until you can put it on a wall or car charger.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Last I checked, people still had the option of recharging on the go with portable battery packs.

It's actually relevant. If only a h andful of people actually bought spare batteries, does it make sense for OEMs to support user-removable batteries? Probably not.

Hmm, I can get two spare batteries for my GS3 for about $10. What's an external battery pack cost? And I can't help but think far more than "a handful" of people buy spare batteries. They're available on Amazon, ebay, and every internet vendor that sells cell phone accessories. Do you really think they'd be so widely available if no one was buying them?

Of course it's better to have the option to replace the battery with no fuss. But it really isn't a big deal when you think of the options available.

Again, rechargeable battery packs can easily take the place of user-replaceable batteries.

And when those batteries get old and start fading out, you're probably out of warranty anyway. It's either time to buy a new phone anyway or crack the phone open and replace it yourself. Looking at teardowns, it looks like it's possible for a lot of phones.

Oh, my, yes. I'd much rather take apart a phone that wasn't designed for user access than simply pop off the back and swap in a new battery. That's soooo logical. I don't think very many cell phone users would even know where to start taking their phone apart, and the odds of removing a soldered in battery, replacing it, and putting the phone back successfully are slightly between zero and Hell freezing over for most people. Let's be realistic. Rechargable battery packs? At what, 5 times the price and bulk of a simple battery? That's nothing but a work-around to poor design.

You say "Of course it's better" to have the option, but then proceed to make all kinds of excuses why it's not better. If you personally don't care about a replaceable battery, that's fine by me. But don't pretend the lack of one comes without disadvantages.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting at a restaurant and thought to myself, "Gee, I sure wish I could help that guy over there out with a boost. I mean, I'm going to be sitting here for the next half hour eating my supper, I might as well let that dude sit next to me while his phone charges back up."

-Suntan

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I can get two spare batteries for my GS3 for about $10. What's an external battery pack cost? And I can't help but think far more than "a handful" of people buy spare batteries. They're available on Amazon, ebay, and every internet vendor that sells cell phone accessories. Do you really think they'd be so widely available if no one was buying them?

How many do spare batteries do you have? Of all the people you know who carry phones that have user-replaceable battery, how many of them actually have a spare battery? Are you assuming that these spare batteries are literally flying off the virtual shelves of Amazon and eBay? I'm simply going off of my own experiences with friends, family, and coworkers. I'd be curious to see if in your experience, if everyone you know who has a phone where they can easily replace the battery actually purchased a spare battery. In mine, a spare is rarely purchased.

Oh, my, yes. I'd much rather take apart a phone that wasn't designed for user access than simply pop off the back and swap in a new battery. That's soooo logical. I don't think very many cell phone users would even know where to start taking their phone apart, and the odds of removing a soldered in battery, replacing it, and putting the phone back successfully are slightly between zero and Hell freezing over for most people. Let's be realistic. Rechargable battery packs? At what, 5 times the price and bulk of a simple battery? That's nothing but a work-around to poor design.

You say "Of course it's better" to have the option, but then proceed to make all kinds of excuses why it's not better.

Excuses? No. They're reasons why it's "not the end of the world" to not have a user replaceable battery. People are acting like just because phones that don't let users replace the battery easily, they can somehow get stuck in a situation where their phone dies and they can't easily recharge it on the go. That's simply not the case no matter how much you want to dismiss potential solutions.

And again, no one is forcing you to buy a phone that doesn't have a user-replaceable battery. "No phone is perfect, each has its strengths and weaknesses. Do the research and buy the one that best meets your most important needs."

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? The S3 and Note are about as different from the iPhone as you can get.

It is a fair comment to compare the two. Sammy does do some things that mimic Apple. Which I am personally fine with.

I appreciate the physical home button and it is something I am glad they cribbed from Apple.

I'm just glad they decided not to copy the overly restrictive nature, fully locked down and simple icon interface and 6-months-behind cellular technology that Apple offered at the time.

-Suntan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38