Are you rooted? Why or why not?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So your never gonna change roms or backup anything? I guess and plain Jane phone will do then...

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
So your never gonna change roms or backup anything? I guess and plain Jane phone will do then...

I agree

But at the same time, my only reason for rooting was to get soft keys, and the nexus already has them, so I kinda see where he's coming from lol

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If only there was an app that asked you to give root permissions to another app before it allowed root to be gained before it did anything.

Oh wait there is, so I guess that exploit is pretty moot.

There are a ton of bad reasons to do anything. If you do not download pirate apps and do not just blindly hit allow for everything, you are fine. I know this is a lot to ask from a lot of people (not the poster above specifically) don't get that concept because of all the viruses and windows exploits that are around. Those people are the ones that should never root. If you have just a bit of common sense you are fine.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree

But at the same time, my only reason for rooting was to get soft keys, and the nexus already has them, so I kinda see where he's coming from lol

We all have different reasons to root. One of my stupid ones is that I like the clock centered. Sometimes I root faster than normal just for that. I mean I was gonna anyway, but still....

- - - Updated - - -

I agree

We all have different reasons to root. One of my stupid ones is that I like the clock centered. Sometimes I root faster than normal just for that. I mean I was gonna anyway, but still....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm not rooted as I don't have a effing clue of how to do it. I do see a lot of nice set ups though that folks have posted. I need a "Rooting and Installing ROMs Guide for Dummies".

What carrier are you on? There are rooting guides in the carrier subforums here on AC. The one for Sprint phones is particularly easy. Make sure you follow the guide for your specific carrier, however. Following the wrong process can brick your phone.

As for why I rooted, it was primarily to be able to tether my tablet on occasion, and to run a few apps that require root. I don't tether often, so it's not worth it to pay the outrageous monthly fee that the carriers charge. But on occasion I find myself needed to connect the tablet when I don't have access to a wi-fi connection. The apps I run that require root mode include Titanium Backup, SetCPU, AdFree and Roam Control.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What carrier are you on? There are rooting guides in the carrier subforums here on AC. The one for Sprint phones is particularly easy. Make sure you follow the guide for your specific carrier, however. Following the wrong process can brick your phone.

Just wanted to stress this again since new / potential rooters need to know this main rule. Ensure the root guide or ROM is for your carrier. Flashing a ROM that is for another carrier will brick the phone.

Pretty much just research.. Don't just rush through the process and you'll be fine. :)

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have not rooted my S3. I did root my Droid X thanks to crappy updates from VZ that I feel ruined the phone. If and when my S3 gets to that point I will consider rooting. As long as everything works (as much as JB allows it to) I'm fine with the phone the way it is.

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I am not rooted. Reason why is because I don't have that many reasons to need to root which right now is to block ads & get better battery life. Other than that I'm happy unrooted.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have not rooted my S3. I did root my Droid X thanks to crappy updates from VZ that I feel ruined the phone. If and when my S3 gets to that point I will consider rooting. As long as everything works (as much as JB allows it to) I'm fine with the phone the way it is.

I feel the same way you do!

I had rooted my Epic 4G (Galaxy 1) when I knew that it wouldn't be supported anymore. I will do the same for my S3 as well except it actually works very well stock for me. When support ends and if I feel that I can get it to perform better by rooting it, I will. If it works well stock, I won't. I don't mind rooting but its the constant up keeping that starts to become a drag after awhile. Perhaps its just me being lazy, I don't know...lol!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There's really nothing to "keep up" when rooting. If you want to flash new ROMs, then maybe. Rooting is a prerequisite for flashing new ROMs, but not the same thing.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted my last 3 phones, including my GS3, which I rooted the day I got it.

You never know when you'll need it for something. Example: I use Swiftkey 3 as my default keyboard. As of Jellybean, there is an issue where every reboot switches back to the default keyboard. People are complaining about it on the Swiftkey forums and reviews. The solution for me was to use Titanium Backup to freeze the stock Samsung keyboard. Problem solved.

In general though, I like to make Nandroid backups so I can easily restore my phone. And I like to fiddle with custom ROMs. Though I really like Touchwiz and the stock firmware this time around, so I haven't yet done it. But I'm starting to get the itch. For me that's that's one of the fun aspects of Android. I would never want to give up that freedom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Chris Flash

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to root my Droid Charge right now to eliminate apps that I don't want. Blockbuster, Kindle, Guitar Hero, etc. I want a fast phone.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that thing is so much better rooted and with a different rom. I am surprised you waited this long

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
There's really nothing to "keep up" when rooting. If you want to flash new ROMs, then maybe. Rooting is a prerequisite for flashing new ROMs, but not the same thing.

Yeah I was wondering what keeping up was too considering there is nothing to it

When I was on CM9 betas, there were ALWAYS bugs here and there. Basically, I was the ginea pig but I STILL didn't care since IMO, it made my phone perform better than stock. So when I would install an upgrade, I didn't know what would work and what wouldn't, so I had to 'keep up' with it as far as being on the forums and knowing what was possibly working and wasn't. This was 2 years ago! I don't know what the state of rooting is today since I'm not rooted with my S3 but I'm willing to bet that its still the same. People need to be aware of what the trade offs are. I currently feel that the trade off isn't worth it....at least not yet, for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty