Are more advanced camera features disabled on the S3?

stathis91

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!

A long while ago, around april last year i was wandering around with a question about my HTC Sensation, and about the lack of some specific video features, for example Exposure Lock. Recently i got a new Galaxy S3, and i was simply amazed by what it was capable of, the photo's and video's looked great! But when i looked a bit further into the camera features, i was suprised to find out that the features in terms of customization beyond the preset settings/scenes were actually more LIMITED than on my old HTC Sensation.

For example, the only way to change the contrast of a video is through changing the scene mode, and the result is often not usable for more advanced video editing, where a video with almost no contrast is ideal for editing. These settings cannot be changed manually, not even with other apps like lgCamera. It is weird that such a powerfull camera gets such restricting software assigned to it, resulting in the user having to trust in the phone to know what is best. I understand that a lot of the users do not want to be bothered with tons of extra buttons and settings but this decision from Samsung and alot of other smartphone manufacturers basically eliminates more serious use of the tons of camera features that android supports.

My question basically is: is there any way to gain more specific controls over the excellent camera (mostly video) in the Galaxy S3? (contrast, bitrate, sharpness, etc) It would add a great asset for my school's video assignments, and maybe for other people in the community aswell!

Thanks for reading!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There are a number of camera apps in the Play Store that might be worth checking out. Personally, I wouldn't bother using a cell phone for any video that I was planning to do any serious editing with, so I've never tried any of them.