Video conversion/format

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm using a Sprint GS3 but I'll ask this here since it would apply to any variant I think.

I'm trying to rip/convert a DVD to MP4, and it would seem I am succeeding, I end up with a MP4 file that plays on both the PC and the GS3, but on the GS3 the aspect ratio is slightly squished(compressed horizontally).

The original movie is in 2.35:1 ratio and playback on the PC of the ripped/converted file is fine. I used BDlot to rip an iso to hard drive and Handbreak to convert to mp4.

Is there anything I can do in handbreak to fix the formatting, or is it a limitation of the stock player on the GS3?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's been awhile since I fiddled with Handbrake, so I don't know that you can fix the aspect ratio, but I thought the SGSIII was a 16:9 aspect? Or a 4:3?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, the SGSIII is 16:9 but the widescreen ratios that a lot of modern movies are shot in are closer to 21:9 (i.e. 2.35:1) so I would expect a significant leterbox when playing this movie even on a 16:9 phone, and while I get a little bit of letterbox the image is still somewhat distorted. Playing it on the PC and the phone at the same time makes it really apparent. It's not so bad that I couldn't live with it, it's just noticeable. I'm starting to think it is the stock video player and not my formatting, I may have to investigate alternate players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress