new galaxy s3 android update 3/13/13

mattyice09

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
i downloaded the new update this morning and it seems some of my settings were changed. once i restarted my phone the service said it was now roaming which it shouldnt be. second when i type anything it vibrates. i checked the language and input>turn off keyboard vibration but thats not there anymore....thoughts or help?

mikeycota

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I also received the update and my battery is not lasting as long. I usually charge it and last up to 12 or 14 hours. 6 hours into the work day and its at 25%. :( I don't know what to do?

AndroidNew

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Go to your settings, sound and then vibration intensity and lower your Haptic feedback. That's why your keyboard is vibrating when you type, it ticked me off to. I dont know anything else about the roaming or the battery unfortunately.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I also received the update and my battery is not lasting as long. I usually charge it and last up to 12 or 14 hours. 6 hours into the work day and its at 25%. :( I don't know what to do?

Try turning off your phone and rebooting into recovery and wipe your cache, Dalvik cache if possible as well.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Sorry bit of a silly question but what would this do? After the latest update my phone isnt lasting as long either :/

I can't completely answer your question, as I am rather new to flashing ROMs myself, but I will try. Getting an OTA update is similar to putting a new ROM on your phone. When installing new ROMs, it is best to wipe cache and Dalvik cache, due to sometimes part of that cache still 'thinks' the old ROM is still in existence. Not wiping this cache, along with keeping all user data, is considered a 'dirty' install. This can cause errors (possibly even an error in power consumption). I will be honest, it may not fix the issue, but it is worth a try.

When installing any new ROM, all developers suggest wiping all data and cache for the best installation.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't completely answer your question, as I am rather new to flashing ROMs myself, but I will try. Getting an OTA update is similar to putting a new ROM on your phone. When installing new ROMs, it is best to wipe cache and Dalvik cache, due to sometimes part of that cache still 'thinks' the old ROM is still in existence. Not wiping this cache, along with keeping all user data, is considered a 'dirty' install. This can cause errors (possibly even an error in power consumption). I will be honest, it may not fix the issue, but it is worth a try.

When installing any new ROM, all developers suggest wiping all data and cache for the best installation.

Ah right. I would normally usenkies to update the phone but because that is useless I have ro do it OTA. I will try clearing the cache.
I am not keen on flashing the phone as this will void my warranty. Thanks for the help

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

korg60

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has decreased as well. Before bed, I do a "Remove All", and "Clear Memory" before I go to bed. eight hours later the battery percentage has dropped almost 15%.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Standard advice after a large OTA: If your phone is having problems, factory reset. You'll find this advice repeated hundreds of times in these forums. But first, check your app settings and account settings to make sure your sync settings haven't changed.

Also, there's no real value in killing apps and clearing memory each night. Android is just going to reload the things it thinks you might use, which actually uses more battery that just letting them idle in memory. As far as 15% in 8 hours, understand that your phone is never truly idle. You've probably got email and other apps (facebook, twitter ?) running which repeatedly sync data. And no, the fact that you killed all the apps doesn't keep them from reloading if they're set to sync in the background. The OS is constantly running and checking to see if an app is requesting a service. Just plug your phone in over night so it's fully charged when you start your day.

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
While true for almost all the time, there are those occasional rogue apps that run spool up CPU cycles in the background when you think you 've closed them. Samsung's pop-up browser sometimes did this to me. When I clicked on the X, i would late find it taking up around 20% CPU via watchDog and just wrecking the battery.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniellewc