Migrate from/to S3

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I'm getting warranty exchange of my Galaxy S3 today.

I have my entire (102 entries) phone book saved to my phones memory (I also have a backup just in case); but the reason why I have it saved there, is because I have pictures assigned to all of my contacts; you can't save pictures to your SIM...

My Galaxy is being replaced by my warranty; how do I copy over everything to the new device? By everything, I mean EVERYTHING. All of the settings, customizations and anything else that would be not on this new Galaxy.

Is there an app in "Playstore" that I can install and run for this? I can save this "backup" to my SD card, and use that to restore.

THANK YOU FOLKS!!

banesfist

May 3, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people recommend Titanium Backup from the Play Store so you might want to check it out. Good luck with the replacement. :)

Posted via Android Central App

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd recommend copying the contacts from your phone to a cloud account, like Google. Then they will always be safe and accessible, irrespective of which device you are using. In the future, set your phone to place new contracts on that account and not on the phone.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Titanium requires root, which many of us don't do. Helium, formerly known as Carbon, can backup everything without rooting.

ilyabyk83

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Titanium requires root, which many of us don't do. Helium, formerly known as Carbon, can backup everything without rooting.

So you recommend me using Helium to transfer EVERYTHING?? I mean everything; I want to make a clone of a type of my phone and restore it on my new one.

What is the exact full name of this app? I bet I'll have to buy it, so I want to make sure I buy the right application...

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup - you can use this for free if you want to backup/restore using an SDCard; if you want to use the cloud then you have to get the paid version.
I believe that you can also make a backup to your PC but I haven't done that.
It sounds from your description like you want to make an "image" backup of your phone - you can't do that unless your phone is rooted and has an alternate Recovery installed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi. I'm getting warranty exchange of my Galaxy S3 today.

I have my entire (102 entries) phone book saved to my phones memory (I also have a backup just in case); but the reason why I have it saved there, is because I have pictures assigned to all of my contacts; you can't save pictures to your SIM...

My Galaxy is being replaced by my warranty; how do I copy over everything to the new device? By everything, I mean EVERYTHING. All of the settings, customizations and anything else that would be not on this new Galaxy.

Is there an app in "Playstore" that I can install and run for this? I can save this "backup" to my SD card, and use that to restore.

THANK YOU FOLKS!!

Titanium Backup will backup all your Apps and Data if rooted. Do not backup System files. Also if you root to backup be sure to unroot before sending the phone in as it voids the Warranty and you will be charged full price for the replacement.. Now there is no way to back up your Home screens. Take Screen Shots so you know what you had where.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you use an alternate launcher like Nova Launcher: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher then you can backup/restore your Home screen layout. Be aware, though, that Nova makes its backups to the internal storage, so if you're switching phones or nuking the phone completely you'll want to copy that folder to your SDCard or the cloud.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4