sudden death

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
My partners phone just stopped working. I've done some googleing & worked out its sudden death. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or if I brought a damaged phone with a working circuit board and replace that if that will work?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
just stopped working
Please define "just stopped working":
- there are no indications that it's charging when you plug it in?
- you've tried booting into Recovery or Download modes with no success?
- you did a battery pull (for a few minutes) as the previous poster noted?
If it really is dead, and it's not because it went for a swim or because you rooted it or dropped it, then you should be able to get it repaired by Samsung under warranty.

To answer your question, yes, if you found one where someone had cracked the screen or something, but the phone still worked, you could buy it and use the motherboard. (You'd have to make sure it was the same model as yours - you couldn't buy an i9300 and put it in a Verizon phone.) The IMEI and all the rest of the hardware would be associated with the account of the person that you bought it from, and I'm not sure how you'd have to work that out with their carrier.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
And please don't create multiple threads for the same problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4

Sazura65

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
First of all - buying another phone for the circuit board isn't a good idea, and it's not easy - I don't ever recommend even trying that kind of thing. Leave that to the professionals, you'll just do more harm than good - and you'll end up wasting money in the process.

I'm going to assume you've already tried a battery pull for a couple minutes. If this doesn't solve your problem, try booting the phone into recovery mode. It's easy to do - simply hold the power button, the volume up button and the home button at the same time for a few seconds, and it should boot into recovery mode. If that doesn't work either, take it back to your carrier.

And as stated above, don't create more than one thread for this issue. This'll be easier to sort out if it's all in one place :)

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
If it is sudden death, it will have to be sent into Samsung for repairs. Sudden Death only affects the International version which has a 2 year warranty. The US variants don't get Sudden Death as it uses a different chipset and only has a 1 year warranty. Which model S3 does your partner have?

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
The phone was plugged in charging. It was working then about 10mins later nothing. We've tried battery pull, and recovery mode doesn't work, just nothing at all works.
The phone is no longer covered by warranty & was brought 2nd hand so is over 2 years old. And hes quite on to it when it comes to electronics & has fixed my defy before. But sudden death is new to us so thats why I asked about the circuit board, but I think thats what we're going to do... be a whole lot cheaper than forking out over a grand for another phone.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You didn't answer the question about what version of the S3 you have. Only the international (i9300) versions of the phone suffered the sudden death. Is yours an i9300, or a US / Canada carrier version?

Anyway, if you can replace the main board with one from the exact same model of the phone, I would expect it to resolve the problem. But it must be the exact same version of the phone. Trying to replace a (for example) South American edition of the phone with the board from a (for example) Middle Eastern version of the phone will probably not give the results you desire. If your SO is going to attempt repair, you might want to have him watch this: This is why you never want to break your smartphone screen | Android Central

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
The phone is no longer covered by warranty & was brought 2nd hand so is over 2 years old.
The S3 has only been out for just over a year. I don't know what Samsung's policy is for a repurchased phone, but it would be worth it for you to find out since it might save you $ and headaches (trying to find a mainboard from the same carrier). At worst you could at least find out Samsung's non-warranty pricing.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Sorry it had to be under these circumstances.

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Finding a new motherboard under the same carrier won't be as hard as it seems since we only have two big companies where we're from.

Anyways thankyou for everyones help, never heard of sudden death before it happened to us, and now we know what to look out for & how to prevent it whatever we decide to do.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought I had read that the International phones had gotten a firmware update (to the kernel) that prevents the sudden death problem.
Strange that the phone would not have been updated with the latest firmware.
Well, let us know what happens.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty