Help with wifi and 4g service

tommyv3

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T Samsung s3 phone will connect to the Wi-Fi except when I turn the airplane mode off... then the 4g service takes over, even though I am near my router at home or at work... the status bar icon of wifi and 4g both show at the same time... the data use is killing me... any suggestions?

anon(859166)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
this might be a dumb question but it shows both your Wi-Fi connection and signal bars on the status bar right? Wi-fi only takes over the data portion and standard sms and voice go through the normal network. Does your signal bars show "4g" next to it or does that label go away when you connect to Wi-Fi?

"you gotta be a lil crazy to stay sane..."

tommyv3

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
When in airplane mode it only shows the wifi icon... once I turn the airplane mode off, the wifi icon stays, the 4g icon appears to the right of the wifi icon, and the signal bars appear to the right of the 4g icon.. Off of airplane mode, in wifi area my data used increases on my plan... it just by passes wifi and goes straight to 4g use. This just started a few days ago.....You can see my usage chart, after this began, it has almost reached my monthly limit.... HELP... I'm always in wifi range... at home and at work..... this is crazy...

anon(859166)

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry man, I'm lost. Was hoping it was the simple solution. You're on a stock sch-i9300?

I am wondering if you could sweet talk your way with AT&T explaining your situation and get either a new device if it truly is broken and get some leeway with your data usage.

"you gotta be a lil crazy to stay sane..."

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Silly question, but why is Airplane mode on to begin with?
What firmware are you running?
If you restart the phone after the strange Airplane mode issue, does Wi-Fi take over like it should?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

tommyv3

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a SGH-I747... I need to keep in airplane mode to prevent data charges... when I turn off the airplane mode, while I'm in wifi range, the 4g takes over... hence.. data charges even though I'm in wifi range.... the wifi DOESN'T take over like it should...running 4.1.2

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you just turn Mobile data off? Has your carrier removed that toggle from the drop-down list?
yzyju6e5.jpg
Anyway, have you tried restarting the phone after disabling Airplane mode? The only time I've used Airplane mode has been while I'm on an airplane, but I haven't had a problem with Wi-Fi taking over when I go into an area with coverage.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

tommyv3

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My phone doesn't have that mobile data toggle switch... it's not the wifi taking over.... it's the 4g that won't allow the wifi to kick in....I've tried restarting... have tried removing and replacing the battery.... took it to th ATT store, they never have seen a phone imputing from both 4g and wifi concurrently...they installed a new sim card, no luck. I called the ATT warranty store, the person I talked to said he had heard of this problem... said they most likely would need to wipe my phone clean and restore to factory settings...seems like that is a cure all for most problems..... IDK, that means whatever I can't back up is lost.... wtf...

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
that means whatever I can't back up is lost
I'm not sure why you think there's any problem making a backup of anything important - the issue with 4G vs. Wi-Fi won't stop you from making a backup before performing a Factory Reset.

Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.amazon.clouddrive.photos will allow you to backup all of your pictures/videos to the cloud automatically (5GB free).

Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup will allow you to backup your apps and app data (without root), along with a few other items.

Use the Kies software on your PC to backup your contacts, SMS/MMS, call logs, pictures/videos and Home screen settings.

And of course if you're syncing with Google then your contacts are safe.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
As I said, Helium will allow you to backup apps AND data. The default is to just backup the app data (since you can just reinstall the app from the Google Play Store).

If you decide to backup both the apps and data, you really need to be on the ball when running the Helium app: immediately after the backup starts you'll get a 2nd screen that allows you to encrypt the backup AND to backup the app data. You MUST select the button to backup the app data before it moves on to the progress screen or your data won't be saved (stupid design in my opinion).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty