How can I fix this message There was a problem communicating with Google servers, try again later (Galaxy S3)?

A

AC Question

There was a problem communicating with Google servers, try again later - Galaxy S3

This is a nasty one. Started getting the message about problems communicating with Google Servers last week. Plenty of hits search for this, and none of the workarounds are helping me out.

1. Removed the Google Account and tried to re-add
2. Cleared all Google app caches and forced stop.
3. Ensured the Date/Time is set correctly
4. Tried with various accounts .... same thing
5. 2 Step not enabled
6. Non-rooted device. Hosts file looks clean (only localhost entry)
7. Not going to reset to factory since I have seen others state the problem persists even after the reset.
8. The network connectivity is fine, browsing to Gmail, Account, Play Store works fine.
I am at a complete loss as to why this is happening. Does anyone have any other things to try?

Thx

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: There was a problem communicating with Google servers, try again later - Galaxy S3

Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried different wi-fi networks? Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data?

JayBee63

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: There was a problem communicating with Google servers, try again later - Galaxy S3

It happens regardless of network. Wifi .... Mobile. The phone is able to do everything else via whatever network it is connected to. This is purely a communication issue with Google Account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Sorry, but this is a recurring issue that I've never quite figured out, apart from checking on multiple wi-fi networks, and some of the other things you've tried. Sometimes it's a server issue on Google's side, so it's worth waiting a day or two and seeing if it sorts itself out.

JayBee63

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site

Thanks B. Diddy. Been two weeks now. Nothing has changed after several attempts to rectify. This is a serious failure considering the amount of posts I see with folks having the same issue and still left hanging after trying all of the things listed in my original post and with no resolution in sight (for years). Leaves a very sour Android taste and makes the device essentially useless from a smartphone perspective.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Try calling Google's customer service: 650-253-0000

JayBee63

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site

I figured it out.

In short, I needed to reinstall Google Play Services

In your device ...

• Go to Settings > Security > Check Unknown sources
  • Head over to apkmirror (apkmirror dot com /apk/google-inc/google-play-services) **I can't post links so you can figure that part out** and get the version of Google Play Services that is applicable to the version of Android that you have on your device.
  • Install
  • reverse step 1 once finished
This worked for me.

Shehryar Ahmed

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I FIXED this issue fortunately (Tags Account Action required, Couldnt sign in Google cant communicate with servers try again etc )'
Note: You will be needed a rooted android device.
1. Remove your google account.
2. Download root explorer apk by googling it and install it to your device.
3. Open root explorer first mount it as read and write (you can see the mount option from root explorer main window clearly) and move on to
this directory (system>etc>long press hosts and select "open in text editor ")
4. Then erase everything there and type following .
127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.185.66.4 android.clients.google.com
5. Save it and by touching 3 dots on top right corner then save and exit
6. Now if u have not google play services installed (You can check it in settings>Application manager) then download apk by
googling(Google play services apk for android 4.4/5.0 or for whatever version you are on) .
7.Once installed simply go to settings>add account>google account and you will be able sign in normally.And wont receive any error
messages.
don't forget to say thanks.
Have a nice day :)

Don Newburn

May 14, 2014
Visit site

Such a newbie myself, don't feel qual'd to answer this BUT I have a new ZTE Z5S purchased from a Chunese vendor (Geekbuying) that gives me the same msg out of the box. I found one possiblity but I don't know if user can do anything to correct it. Unde security the big red X comes up and tells me that "This certificate has an invalid date" At the bottom of this page is says: Validity: issued on 8/26/2015..I received the phone on 8/19/2016. Dunno if this helps. It didn't give me anything to work with.

Demonlord 6

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I FIXED this issue fortunately (Tags Account Action required, Couldnt sign in Google cant communicate with servers try again etc )'
Note: You will be needed a rooted android device.
1. Remove your google account.
2. Download root explorer apk by googling it and install it to your device.
3. Open root explorer first mount it as read and write (you can see the mount option from root explorer main window clearly) and move on to
this directory (system>etc>long press hosts and select "open in text editor ")
4. Then erase everything there and type following .
127.0.0.1 localhost
#127.185.66.4 android.clients.google.com
5. Save it and by touching 3 dots on top right corner then save and exit
6. Now if u have not google play services installed (You can check it in settings>Application manager) then download apk by
googling(Google play services apk for android 4.4/5.0 or for whatever version you are on) .
7.Once installed simply go to settings>add account>google account and you will be able sign in normally.And wont receive any error
messages.
don't forget to say thanks.
Have a nice day :)

Thank you so much you just save me from a hard reset !
To think a single file could cause so much trouble..

Isaac fraser

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
What I found is that if you have a rooted device I fixed my problem by getting a root explore app from aptoide that u can download off your browser and then on my root explore app I went to system then ect then hosts and deleted hosts this also works for most problems that have to do with google play.

IntelexGaming

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
im sorry, i cant find "long press hosts"

I dont know how you man thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bipin31

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you.! this works, only thing a new user needs to take care is the device must be rooted and you should be doing this as a super user else it wi not allow you to edit the host file.

Thanks,
Bipin

Lordzkush

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
THIS saved me froma hard reset as well , this actually worked , i dont evn know how , at first i thought the " # " sign was a typo , then i said let me try and it actually worked, cant beleive how yu figured how to ypass the google server , DUDE THANKKK YOU:cool::):):):):) if you are reding this smart decision. follow through dude.

A Williams7

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: There was a problem communicating with Google servers, try again later -

Installing Google play services apk solution worked for me after 5hrs of attempting my own troubleshooting, I'd removed the google account more than once tried factory resets etc was on the verge of pulling my hair out. So I just want to say a Big Thank You! I can relax and enjoy the rest of my evening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2