Don't update to 4.3

jonpride

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
So this morning I updated my active from 4.2.2 to 4.3. After it downloaded and booted a couple times, I no longer had cell service. I thought there might have been an error on the install so rebooted the phone...nothing. I took the simchip and battery out for a couple minutes and then rebooted...nothing. I then tried a hard reset and ....nothing.

I then went into an AT&T store thinking my simchip died and asked for a replacement simchip. Powered the phone down, removed the battery and old simchip, replaced it with new one, turned the phone back on and.... Yup, nothing. Called tech support and they said that the update probably burned out the simchip reader! Huh! How is that possible? They said that there have been a couple instances with this happening. Does anyone at AT&T check these updates before throwing them out to the public? So now I have a crappy prepaid phone until my replacement phone arrives midweek. Can't wait to see this one fry once I update it too.

Just be cautious and make sure you back up you contacts and stuff to the cloud in case you run into my situation.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So this morning I updated my active from 4.2.2 to 4.3. After it downloaded and booted a couple times, I no longer had cell service. I thought there might have been an error on the install so rebooted the phone...nothing. I took the simchip and battery out for a couple minutes and then rebooted...nothing. I then tried a hard reset and ....nothing.

I then went into an AT&T store thinking my simchip died and asked for a replacement simchip. Powered the phone down, removed the battery and old simchip, replaced it with new one, turned the phone back on and.... Yup, nothing. Called tech support and they said that the update probably burned out the simchip reader! Huh! How is that possible? They said that there have been a couple instances with this happening. Does anyone at AT&T check these updates before throwing them out to the public? So now I have a crappy prepaid phone until my replacement phone arrives midweek. Can't wait to see this one fry once I update it too.

Just be cautious and make sure you back up you contacts and stuff to the cloud in case you run into my situation.

Welcome to the forums.
Bummer this happened. I don't think I have heard of anything like this before. Doesn't mean it isn't possible.

jfe58

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
So far, it's working fine for me. The only "issue" is that Knox Security app. It may be something I have to live with.

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I'm pretty sure it was a kernel screw up and no the only testing at&t does is make sure their bloat ware is a system file and try their best to lock it down

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

tygemb

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Same thing happened to my prepaid galaxy s4 active. It updated an now it won't read the sim card.

Posted via Android Central App

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I now have terrible wifi range after the update. The.range has significantly reduced and I.always get a pop up message saying "your internet connection is unstable" wish I hadn't updated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

srhwhite

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same wifi problem. Is there a way to fix it? I hate this update, absolutely hate it! It also messed with my keyboard in that it made texting a little harder and it took away some of the symbols. So is there a fix to the wifi issue and the keyboard?

Obeg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
4.3 update took my favorite phone ever to my most hated phone ever. It has ruined my phone.
The WiFi is terrible now, constantly giving me the "unstable" error. I have to recycle the WiFi to get it to work again for a few minutes.

But my biggest complaint is it has ruined the GPS. It took a phone that I used to rave to my friends and family about a GPS that would lock on inside of a building to one that will not stay connected. I am a runner and use my phone EXTENSIVELY for tracking my runs. It is my primary use of the phone beyond email. And now it is is useless. In a 6 mile run yesterday, it lost connection a dozen times! I have to run with the phone in my hand and when it quits tracking, recycle the GPS. Its horrible and frustrating.

To add insult to injury, with this update there is now known way (yet) to root the phone so I am stuck. No way to downgrade and no way to upgrade. It has made me VERY sour on ATT and Samsung - and this from someone who has bought 3 Samsung phones (4 if you count the one I dropped on a volcano), my family has Samsung phones, we have 4 Samsung tablets, 2 TVs and a laptop! All that goodwill lost with one freaking update!

crazycrew

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree obeg! Made me hate the phone! Going back to iPhone when the 6 is released !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

Knightro829

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Also curious if there have been any updates or workarounds on these issues...experiencing both the Wi-Fi range and the GPS issues that have been noted (and as a runner, the GPS issue is particularly annoying).

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
4.3 update took my favorite phone ever to my most hated phone ever. It has ruined my phone.
The WiFi is terrible now, constantly giving me the "unstable" error. I have to recycle the WiFi to get it to work again for a few minutes.

But my biggest complaint is it has ruined the GPS. It took a phone that I used to rave to my friends and family about a GPS that would lock on inside of a building to one that will not stay connected. I am a runner and use my phone EXTENSIVELY for tracking my runs. It is my primary use of the phone beyond email. And now it is is useless. In a 6 mile run yesterday, it lost connection a dozen times! I have to run with the phone in my hand and when it quits tracking, recycle the GPS. Its horrible and frustrating.

To add insult to injury, with this update there is now known way (yet) to root the phone so I am stuck. No way to downgrade and no way to upgrade. It has made me VERY sour on ATT and Samsung - and this from someone who has bought 3 Samsung phones (4 if you count the one I dropped on a volcano), my family has Samsung phones, we have 4 Samsung tablets, 2 TVs and a laptop! All that goodwill lost with one freaking update!

I found this in a router forum and it seems to be true on 4.3 samsung phones don't play well with wpa/wpa2 encryption try making a guest portal with a different encryption it seems to work and pages load faster as its not having to decrypt as much so it compiles the data faster therefore giving you more reliable wifi and faster data rates :) to prove a point make a guest portal Un encrypted and if it's stable and fast when you encrypt it you'll be pleasantly surprised

Also if your on kit kat there is a way to root ;) doesn't void warranty as its all official samsung modems your flashing it partially downgrades back to mk2 (4.3) and you can flash a pre rooted kit kat rom you can get a themed look or fully stock pm me for details as I can point you into the rite direction

metle_geek

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Also curious if there have been any updates or workarounds on these issues...experiencing both the Wi-Fi range and the GPS issues that have been noted (and as a runner, the GPS issue is particularly annoying).

Try my wifi solution above but there is an application called GPS tool box I used to use it with my HTC phones Idk if it's updated or not but in location do you have the cellular signal ticked as well?? It helps triangulate your location with the towers as it pings the nearest 3 and that meta data helps the GPS pinpoint your location more accurately and faster