Anyone have suggestions for apps that duplicate lost TouchWiz GS4 functionality?

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering the Google Play version of this phone because I loathe the bloatware on all non-stock Android devices right now, but some of the GS4 software features seem pretty useful. I thought it might be nice to create a list of apps that GE Galaxy S4 buyers could use to restore that lost functionality. Among the ones I think worthwhile are: camera features (the camcorder to photo feature seems really cool particularly), the air view, smart scroll, smart gestures, multi window, IR remote functionality, and long-press button functionality (like being able to put the ringer on vibrate with the phone asleep in your pocket). Any suggestions are welcome.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
How about you buy a carrier subsidized model, root and put a custom ROM on it. Most are highly stable and some are AOSP (ala google edition type) ROMs with some of the neater TW features built in.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
rrier subsidized model, root and put a custom ROM on it. Most are highly stable and some are AOSP (ala google edition type) ROMs with some of the neater TW features built in.

In the many ROMs I've used on multiple phones (Galaxy S, GNex, HTC One X) I've just never found this to be the case (long term). Every single ROM I've ever tried has been buggy in some way (except stock Gnex) - app closures, reboots necessary every couple days (or more), radio issues with signal re-establishment, terrible GPS link up and tracking, and others. Hence why I'm interested in the GE version. I'm looking for ios levels of stability here, and I feel that stock Android is pretty much the only way I'm going to get it.

Not trying to say ios is better - which is exactly why I'm trying to get back to android - but my experience has shown me that custom ROMs just aren't for me. Maybe it's a perception thing, but regardless...

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Oh for sure man, I understand completely. But you also have to understand that on those other phones, the ROMs were hacked to work on that hardware. With a carrier model, you can just wait for a straight port of the Google Edition. It will be very stable, comparable to a Nexus phone.

And to boot, you can flash back and forth from Touchwiz to some AOSP goodness. I'm just trying to save you a bit of money, because custom AOSP roms will be AMAZING on the S4. You wouldn't have to worry about GPS, lte dropping, losing data, etc. because the ROMs will be that stable. I remember back on my Galaxy S, the custom ICS and JB roms had tons of problems. But that is rarely the case now, even my S3 ran flawlessly on any AOSP rom I threw at it.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
To check back in on this...

I am running the Google Edition rom on my S4, everything is working right now. I have to say, this is the first time I have seen iOS level smoothness on an android device.
It is so fluid and the beautiful interface is a pleasure to navigate. I hope you make the right decision.

androidalais

May 25, 2012
Visit site
My suggestion would be find someone with a standard s4 and root and have them use astro or another file manager to back up the app apk's that are special to the s4. then just put the apk's on your sdcard and install them on the device. Of corse things like that will only work with things like the remote app or the fittness app, etc.

rubi76

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Since no one else is starting the list I will start with:

-IR functionality: whatchOn directly from the Play market

Sent from my GT-I9505G using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo