Nagging issues

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had this phone several months now and it just doesn't seem as reliable as my Nexus 4 or Nexus devices in general. I keep having weird things happen. Screen blacking out during calls, weird messages from the play store telling me to add a recovery email and now Gmail is never notifying me of a new emails. No sound, not status bar icon, no led. It works on all my other devices. Is anyone else experiencing weird problems with their S4 GE? I would really like to fix the gmail thing if anyone has a suggestion. Most of the issues have rectified themselves over time but its annoying. My Nexus 4,7, and 10 never have a single issue and run more or less the same software.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
1. loss of Gmail "Push" email - this happened to me when i updated my OS on my old devices. only fix was hard reset factory fresh and then a manual resync reinstall of everything.
2. screen black out during calls - isn't this a feature to save battery?
3. play store recovery "add email" message - doesn't sound like a problem unless it keeps recurring. Play Store is going through lots of updates/changes lately so anything can happen/
4. reliability - if you want pure Android next time - get a Nexus. i trust that over low volume niche devices llike the Google Edition devices which shoehorn software on hardware not specifically intended for it. prob low volumes = poor testing and R&D.

good luck.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For the gmail part, you each folder now has it's own notification option on what seems to be a per device basis. You should be able to go into the app, go into a folder, settings, notifications, etc.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
1. loss of Gmail "Push" email - this happened to me when i updated my OS on my old devices. only fix was hard reset factory fresh and then a manual resync reinstall of everything.
2. screen black out during calls - isn't this a feature to save battery?
3. play store recovery "add email" message - doesn't sound like a problem unless it keeps recurring. Play Store is going through lots of updates/changes lately so anything can happen/

The play store issue went away but it asked for it for a good month with every updated app. I would try to do what it said but android login process would crash. I know the screen is supposed to black out but sometimes it goes out while the phone is ringing before I answer or it won't want to come back on when I move it away from my head to dial extensions or whatever. Everything was set fine in Gmail but literally two minutes after making this thread I was notified of an email again. It's just weird I keep having little issues that come and go maybe I should do a factory reset?

When I did get the pphone I did transfer all app files from my Nexus 4 with Helium. Could this be causing lingering issues?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
The pla

When I did get the pphone I did transfer all app files from my Nexus 4 with Helium. Could this be causing lingering issues?

this POSSIBLY could be the issue. i NEVER do this!

NEVER DO A "RESTORE" WITH A BACKUP APP UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO - ESPECIALLY WITH TWO DIFFERENT DEVICE MODELS!!!!

i like to always MANUALLY resync and reinstall everything from scratch. this way i know i'm not restoring any incompatible files from device X to device Y.

my advice would be to do a factory fresh reset and MANUALLY resync/reinstall everything. yes it's a PIA and yes you might lose some games data etc. but that's what i'd do.

good luck.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok yeah. I usually do the same but I thought I'd try it this time and see what happened figuring I could always reset. Things seemed fine for quite a while but maybe its still related. It's otherwise a very good device.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok yeah. I usually do the same but I thought I'd try it this time and see what happened figuring I could always reset. Things seemed fine for quite a while but maybe its still related. It's otherwise a very good device.

they shoehorned pure Android onto a handful of red-headed stepchild low volume hardware devices that were built for Touchwiz and Sense. i personally wouldn't trust this.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I suppose thats one way to look at it. I personally like hardware buttons (for extra screen space) and removable batteries so it seemed like the phone for me. I am mostly happy with it and I don't think these issues are typical necessarily,