Should i root my s4?

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on rooting. I've never done it before and don't know if its worth doing. I had a HTC one but switched to an s4 as I'm just too used to Samsung's software.I love the s4 but the amount of bloatware on this phone is crazy and I've heard the rooting can get rid of some of Samsung's own installed apps that normally you can uninstall. I'm also thinking of trying a more stock android experience, and what is the best software to install?

Thanks

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Before you dive into the world of rooting, read read read. Take the time out to research and you'll do wonders. One of the best aspects for rooting the s4 was the ability to save $100 and get the 16gb s4 with my 32gb sd card, download folder mount, and push both apps and data to the sd card. I'm on verizon, so the Google wallet hack was a must for me. Also, being able to add any app to the multi-screen Window was a must too!
Root is required for these functions.

Posted via Android Central App

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll starting googleing everything about rooting before I make any final decisions. And I'll take a look at that cm mod, I've seen that mentioned in a few other forums. Once I've flashed a ROM onto my phone if I factory reset will it go back to normal touchwiz?

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll starting googleing everything about rooting before I make any final decisions. And I'll take a look at that cm mod, I've seen that mentioned in a few other forums. Once I've flashed a ROM onto my phone if I factory reset will it go back to normal touchwiz?
"Should I root my phone?" My response is always going to be: Absolutely. Unless you don't fully understand what exactly root privileges do, and the possibilities it opens up.
As for your question: If by "normal touchwiz" you mean stock un-rooted Touchwiz, then the answer is no. SuperSU goes in as a System app so when you factory reset it will still be there just like those bloat apps Verizon/Samsung so kindly include. Un-rooting isn't quite that simple. Usually if you are on a custom rom and want to return to fully factory stock you will have to use a program called Odin and flashing a factory image (an exact copy of an "official" firmware that comes stock on the phone). Which will restore your phone to exactly as it was out of the factory.
As everyone else said; read, read, read, read, and when you think you know enough. Read some more. There is ALWAYS something else to learn about in the world of Android. There is lots of information to be found on this forum, but I would also suggest heading over to xda-developers.com and checking it out. There is infinite amounts of information to be found there.

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Before you dive into the world of rooting, read read read. Take the time out to research and you'll do wonders. One of the best aspects for rooting the s4 was the ability to save $100 and get the 16gb s4 with my 32gb sd card, download folder mount, and push both apps and data to the sd card. I'm on verizon, so the Google wallet hack was a must for me. Also, being able to add any app to the multi-screen Window was a must too!

Google wallet hack... Please link!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The more im reading the more appealing this is beginning to sound. Ive seen a few different ways to Root and install SuperUser, which one is the safest/best? There are still alot of things i need to cover, i want to get my head around the whole process before i do it as i dont really fancy a samsung paperweight :p If i install a custom ROM (which i very much intend to do) will it overwrite all of my apps? Im speaking specifically about the camera app, i quite like samsungs camera app but will a custom Rom overwrite my camera software?

mezajames

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I just did it to use my ps3 controlled wireless while having my note2 connected to tv (making it a smart tv) lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The more im reading the more appealing this is beginning to sound. Ive seen a few different ways to Root and install SuperUser, which one is the safest/best? There are still alot of things i need to cover, i want to get my head around the whole process before i do it as i dont really fancy a samsung paperweight :p If i install a custom ROM (which i very much intend to do) will it overwrite all of my apps? Im speaking specifically about the camera app, i quite like samsungs camera app but will a custom Rom overwrite my camera software?
That depends on what rom you flash. There are basically we kinds of roms for the S4, Touch wiz based roms, and Aosp roms. Touch wiz roms are roms built off of your phones stock software. The software made my Samsung for the S4. If you flash one of these you will keep your TW camera and gallery and all of the touch wiz features you probably bought your S4 to get. Like the smart stay, smart scroll, all that stuff. Like i said they are based off of Samsung's modified a Android software, just modified to add more features and remove the junk apps you don't need like all the Verizon apps and some if samsungs dumb apps like media hub. In my opinion Touch wiz roms are the way to go with the Galaxy S4 (and s3 too for that matter) they are made for this phone. Just better than factory stock. Roms like Jellybeans, Cleanrom, and Hyperdrive are tw roms. They will have the normal camera you prefer. Personally I would recommend Jellybeans.
AOSP roms are just Android "the way Google meant it to be". It's alot cleaner of an interface, with less junk. But you miss out on samsungs cool features. Roms like the legendary Cyanogenmod are made from this. Look it up on YouTube and you will see what i mean.
There is alot of debate on what people prefer. But personally I prefer Touch wiz. AOSP generally has lots of bugs and other small issues, but it is still Cool. Just not my preference for this specific device.
The root method I would recommend is here: [TOOL](ROOT)(RECOVERY) i545 all-in-one root + recovery installer Updated 6-3-13 - xda-developers
This is the easiest way. Just follows the directions and it's a piece of cake. Make sure you read the thread THOROUGHLY before attempting so have an idea how it works. If you just follow then instructions you can't mess it up and it literally takes five minutes. When your done you will be ready to flash a rom. This method doesn't actually unlock the bootloader of you device (which you must do to flash custom software) but it's a work around. It gets us around the bootloader to be able to flash roms. Eventually when developers figure out a true unlock method this procedure will change. But for now, it's easy and works fine.
I would recommend downloading a factory image just to keep on your computer at all times just in case you get into hot water, so you can always flash back to stock if something goes wrong. Follow this thread: xda-developers
Oh yeah, to answer your other question, when you root yoy won't lose your apps, but before flashing a rom you will have to wipe your phone and make you lose your apps and everything. Before flashing a rom, download titanium backup from the play store and back up all your user apps. Once you flash the rom, just restore them with titanium and voila, you have all your apps back WITH all the app data intact. So you will keep all your angry birds levels. Lol. Titanium backup is THE BEST root app ever made in my opinion. A rom flashers best friend.
Well I think that's all the info you asked for. Hope I helped!

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice, that must have taken a while to write lol Ill take a look at the touchwiz ROMs, apart from the camera software though there isnt much i like about this version of touchwiz. I think smart stay etc is just a bit too gimmiky. The smart scroll on the s4 is horrendous as when its enabled internet pages move up and down when you dont want them too just because you slightly move your face while looking at the screen. I saw one article about needing to make sure your baseband & build numbers are the same. Mine are currently both MDD and model I9505 (I live in the UK so have the international version of the phone). Does this effect the workaround you mentioned?

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh crap. I didn't know you had the international version. I apologize for that. I don't believe that it's hard to unlock the international version. Let me go find you a good guide for it.
And yeah the smart scroll is kinda lame, i really like the wave your hand to scroll pages feature though.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Here is the root method from XDA for your phone. [GUIDE] How to root Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505 and GT-I9500) - xda-developers
That's for the I9505 and it looks pretty easy. Just follow the instructions. Don't be intimidating by then command prompt stuff. If you just type it in exactly as it says in the guide you'll be fine. If you have any questions just post Em here. I'll help ya as much as I can. Though it should be pretty easy. The bootloader isn't even locked on the international S4.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is the root method from XDA for your phone. [GUIDE] How to root Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505 and GT-I9500) - xda-developers
That's for the I9505 and it looks pretty easy. Just follow the instructions. Don't be intimidating by then command prompt stuff. If you just type it in exactly as it says in the guide you'll be fine. If you have any questions just post Em here. I'll help ya as much as I can. Though it should be pretty easy. The bootloader isn't even locked on the international S4.

Thanks so much for your help, you've done more than enough to help me already. I'm going to read that guide and give it a go tomorrow when I finish work. I'm starting to really like the look of the Google edition s4 so don't know whether to just flash a stock rom. I'm think long about getting a galaxy tab 2 or a nexus 7 as there are some great deals on them in my area at the moment. Would flashing one of those be the same as my phone?

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for your help, you've done more than enough to help me already. I'm going to read that guide and give it a go tomorrow when I finish work. I'm starting to really like the look of the Google edition s4 so don't know whether to just flash a stock rom. I'm think long about getting a galaxy tab 2 or a nexus 7 as there are some great deals on them in my area at the moment. Would flashing one of those be the same as my phone?
It's okay I don't mind. For your first rom I would suggest flashing a Touch wiz rom. Reason being that AOSP roms tend to have bugs, and you need to be able to figure out how to solve your own issues when they happen. Touch wiz roms are way less likely to have bugs. At this point I would suggest just buying a Nexus 7 to experience stock android. Nexus 7s are awesome. And there is lots of development for them.

neils0911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok so ive decided im going to root my phone using the guide you provided but not install a custom Rom untill i completely decide which line to go with. Im also going to get a Nexus 7 to see wether i prefer stock android or touchwiz, just hope i dont want the next generation when it comes out in a few weeks lol Still got a lot of reading up to do on rooting though, theres so much information on it because of how many options it opens up

travisobvs

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Canadian S4 owner reading up on rooting my phone. I just wanted to say thank you to Nicholi2789. Awesome answers. Good Karma to you!

I'm still crazy confused as to what to do after I Root the phone. Will there be an extra menu like Cydia after a jailbreak on an iPhone (ex iOS user). Let me know how it goes.

Thisguyneil

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
It really opens up a new world for you, besides voiding the warranty (oh we'll) you can take control of your whole phone

Sent from my big ol galaxy note

ramordep

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Also, being able to add any app to the multi-screen Window was a must too!

just noticed this, im already rooted on stock rom. how do i add new app on multiscreen?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
There are two resources you want to get familiar with. One is the search button. Not being facetious, but there is a world of information on this board. Most links will redirect you to the xda developers website where All information is available. Option 2...YouTube. I find the video instructions easy to follow as expected. Now in my experience, I first did the multi window hack and it works perfectly. But, it ended up messing with the s health app. I personally like full functionality of my phone. So the work around was to down load the multi window app on the play store which does the same thing. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. A must have for me is the Google wallet hack too.

Rooted S4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38