Files to root won't open on my computer, I've already started rooting process, what can I do?

GadgetMomma

Jan 28, 2010
jennbailey0706.wordpress.com
I am trying to root my phone for the first time. I read, re-read, and re-read again the instructions for rooting my phone on the website I'm using (I wanted to try to Gummy ROM, I'm not sure if anyone else here has used it, I always see the Cyanogen Mod mentioned). And I know this, but I was too focused on making sure I followed the steps correctly, that it didn't sink in in my head. But I started the root process, and turned my phone off and booted on by holding down the power button, home button, and volume down button, and clicked yes to enter into boot mode. Now I'm on the very first screen that has the big green Android and says, "Downloading! Do not turn off target!" I go to step two to unzip the odin.exe file, and of course my Mac can't open an exe file because I have no program to open one. I've never needed one before, and saw no mention on the FAQ page, or the step by step process that this is something that can only be done on a Windows computer. So now I'm stuck on that first step of root with a non working phone. What should I do? Should I try to find a program or something in the app store that will open this file? Or is there a way to "cancel" the root and take it back to stock and I can try i t a different way? Thanks in advance for the help!

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to root my phone for the first time. I read, re-read, and re-read again the instructions for rooting my phone on the website I'm using (I wanted to try to Gummy ROM, I'm not sure if anyone else here has used it, I always see the Cyanogen Mod mentioned). And I know this, but I was too focused on making sure I followed the steps correctly, that it didn't sink in in my head. But I started the root process, and turned my phone off and booted on by holding down the power button, home button, and volume down button, and clicked yes to enter into boot mode. Now I'm on the very first screen that has the big green Android and says, "Downloading! Do not turn off target!" I go to step two to unzip the odin.exe file, and of course my Mac can't open an exe file because I have no program to open one. I've never needed one before, and saw no mention on the FAQ page, or the step by step process that this is something that can only be done on a Windows computer. So now I'm stuck on that first step of root with a non working phone. What should I do? Should I try to find a program or something in the app store that will open this file? Or is there a way to "cancel" the root and take it back to stock and I can try i t a different way? Thanks in advance for the help!

Since you can't use ODIN on a Mac, just hold the power button and the phone will boot normally.
You haven't done anything yet.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Windows works best. I'm a
dedicated Mac user and have 4 regularly used Macs in my house. I keep a NetBook around just for flashing phones and my car.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38