Galaxy S4 Running Tizen OS Instead of Android?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brpost

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This article seems to give some traction to the OP's point, if anyone's still interested. I have no opinion either way, but I was just reading this thread today and then stumbled on the article completely by accident, so here it is.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the s4 will have either 2 fates. 1, its going to be a major failure because the majority of people who know of the s4 assume since the s3 was an android the s4 definitely has to be too. So the ones who'd buy the s4 would want the similar android ecosystem on the s4. And 2, the s4 will be a huge success. There are a few juggernauts in the smartphone industry; IOS(the iphone), Android(Android phones), and Samsung (Galaxy phones); Now before anyone starts chewing me out i know a galaxy is a android smartphone. I know the ins & outs into an android. But the Galaxy name is HUGE. You might even say that Samsung made its own OS out of Android. The majority of people who bought the s3 bought it cause of the marketing put behind it. They didnt care if it was an android. So more than likely the s4 will sell well because its a Galaxy, regardless if its on this new os(tizen, I've personally never heard of it but ill do my research on it to see whats up with this os) so Even tho you guys might not like it, im more than certain the s4 is gonna sell like crazy. IMO, i think HTC is the company that kicked off Android. I never heard of the Android os untill fall of 2011(thats crazy right?!) Want to know whats even crazier? I had an android and didnt even realize it! My first Android was an Lg optimus g.(i had this phone since summer of 2011) I first started taking notice in android when The Good ole' HTC Evo was out. It was a great device and really got the Android os off its knees. Samsung's 1st galaxy (the epic 4g i think it was? o_O) didnt ever catch my eye cause htc had the spot light at the time. Samsung just picked off where htc left off is what i think. So the s4 is going to sell whether most of you guys won't buy it. Not trying to pick a fight but im just calling it as i see it. :cool:

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I personally think the s4 will have either 2 fates. 1, its going to be a major failure because the majority of people who know of the s4 assume since the s3 was an android the s4 definitely has to be too. So the ones who'd buy the s4 would want the similar android ecosystem on the s4. And 2, the s4 will be a huge success. There are a few juggernauts in the smartphone industry; IOS(the iphone), Android(Android phones), and Samsung (Galaxy phones); Now before anyone starts chewing me out i know a galaxy is a android smartphone. I know the ins & outs into an android. But the Galaxy name is HUGE. You might even say that Samsung made its own OS out of Android. The majority of people who bought the s3 bought it cause of the marketing put behind it. They didnt care if it was an android. So more than likely the s4 will sell well because its a Galaxy, regardless if its on this new os(tizen, I've personally never heard of it but ill do my research on it to see whats up with this os) so Even tho you guys might not like it, im more than certain the s4 is gonna sell like crazy. IMO, i think HTC is the company that kicked off Android. I never heard of the Android os untill fall of 2011(thats crazy right?!) Want to know whats even crazier? I had an android and didnt even realize it! My first Android was an Lg optimus g.(i had this phone since summer of 2011) I first started taking notice in android when The Good ole' HTC Evo was out. It was a great device and really got the Android os off its knees. Samsung's 1st galaxy (the epic 4g i think it was? o_O) didnt ever catch my eye cause htc had the spot light at the time. Samsung just picked off where htc left off is what i think. So the s4 is going to sell whether most of you guys won't buy it. Not trying to pick a fight but im just calling it as i see it. :cool:

Courtesy of My LT3VO :D

Sorry to burst your bubble but the S4 has already been announced that it will have Android 4.2 Jellybean on it.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Did you quote the wrong person?

You're seeing his garbage because people keep answering his troll posts. He is making a mockery of everyone in this thread.

Sorry to have confused you Jerry. I quoted you because my point was I could have started a thread discussing Tizen without the obvious trolling and baseless "facts" which can be quickly disproven with actual news articles and not some joe schmo's blog. Sure Tizen might be the next big OS but it's got a ways to go and we'll see if Google recovers from some of it's stumbling. Even the almighty iOS has stumbled and has cracked the door for people to move to another OS. Companies come and go all the time as do different products only time will tell.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has been the muscle behind Android, and without Samsung, there's no other Android phone manufacturer that can compete, not even Google's hapless, profitless Motorola and its stupid-looking X-Phone, which is already a huge disappointment. Without Samsung, Android truly is on life support, as Samsung is asking for an Apple-like, 75% cut of Google's cash-cow search revenues on Samsung's mobile devices and Samsung will steal and co-opt the entire Android ecosystem from underneath Google anyway because Tizen easily runs all Android apps. The once-junior partner Samsung is now the senior partner, and it's no wonder Andy Rubin got axed for letting this happen.

So where is the "stupid-looking" X-Phone I have yet to see any real images, specs or details other than rumors on it and a July launch. Google could or should have scrapped what was in the pipeline and startd fresh, it did little for the Motorola brand to keep launching turds out the door. That said if the X-Phone was coming sooner I would consider it but not with a July launch.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This thread should have died ages ago when the GS4 was announced.

Agreed also considering the Note 3 which is 6-7 months away has already been announced with Android 5.0. No Tizen there which would have been the perfect launch choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I believe there will always be a line of Android devices until google retires it or until something better comes along that takes over . I believe if they do bring tizen to US it will be its own series seperate from android line as they do with their windows based line. They would def make a go at in parallel with Android, cutting one off for the other is foolish. If you were making billions of dollars on a product would you pull the plug without testing the waters?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
If Facebook is already forking/spooning Android and kicking Google Search off the homescreen (this is why Google tanked today), why shouldn't Samsung and everyone else do the same? Facebook's new Facebook Home shows exactly why Andy Rubin got axed: he lost control over Android, which is getting forked/spooned/ditched left and right now. Google search is relevant on desktops where dinosaur Google still gets 95% of its revenues, but apps are the future on smaller mobile screens that have no room for Google's stupid ads designed for desktops. Google's cash-cow Search designed for the desktop age increasingly gets pushed off of mobile homescreens where apps like Yelp, Foursquare, and Zillow have better, more specific functionality. Rubin got axed because he lost control of Android and let everyone customize it so it wasn't Android anymore and no longer had Google services. Amazon, Facebook, Samsung, and Baidu are all forking/spooning/ditching it in favor of their own paths (Kindle, Facebook Home, Tizen, and Yi). I'm glad the little Korean girl above said it's just a matter of time before Samsung ditches Android in favor of Tizen. The Koreans all know this, so why don't the Americans? Who wants to be the last one on the sinking Android boat? Two hours after the S4 was released, the Samsung VP said the Samsung Tizen phone would be released in the summer with the highest specs. They want this phone to succeed over the S4. The S4 represents Samsung's legacy Android past, not its bright Tizen future. Samsung's even letting Facebook put Facebook Home on its Galaxy S3 and S4 phones on top of TouchWiz, which shows how little Samsung cares about the last-in-the-family-line S4. They won't allow this on the Tizen Galaxy phones. App developers always follow the money, and Samsung's where ALL the profits are in the Android world. Plus, Tizen runs all Android apps or, if developers want, they can easily convert their apps to run natively on Tizen in just an hour or two because of the similarities between Android and Tizen.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Long term you could see Samsung fork Android like Amazon but keep it more true to Google's version which in a way is what they are already doing. They are adding and tweaking features that no one else has and Android is synonymous with Samsung and the Galaxy Series of Phones.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
As long as Samsung is raking in tons of cash without having to develop its own OS and given the state of Motorola today what reason do they have to release Tizen or leave Android, none. Even in 2-3 years when maybe Moto gets it's head out of its processor and starts building real or good hardware it will still be crippled by Verizon as their primary US carrier. Google should take Motorola and make them a dominant player, take the chains off give them tons of cash and let them go crazy stupid like the commercial for the Dodge Dart and how they explained the design process (even if it is fake), it drives home the point. Lower cost doesn't have to b junk.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ooo look he showed up again and can't even get his facts straight. Maybe he should have actually watched what Zuckerberg had to say;

"Facebook Home isn't a new phone. It's not a new operating system. And it's not a new redesign of Google Android. It's just a set of apps that act as a "skin" that operates on top of the existing Android OS on your smartphone."

So in a sense FB Home is just another skin like Samsung's TW or HTC sense or any of them you can download and customize. Home ends up just being a skin for FB fanatics which I am not.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Or any of the other dozen of launchers on the market today. Once users get a taste of FB Home and how invasive and annoying it will become with advertising and tracking it will get pulled off their phones so fast Zuck will be in traction for months.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Or any of the other dozen of launchers on the market today. Once users get a taste of FB Home and how invasive and annoying it will become with advertising and tracking it will get pulled off their phones so fast Zuck will be in traction for months.

Yeah that's one other thing I forgot to mention, Zipperaroo talks about Google ads when in fact FB Home will have ads as well.

Oh and Zipperaroo when you want to say google tanked you might want to mention that the whole market was down as well as Apple, Samsung, Microsoft, etc all by more than 1.2 %, so it's all relative.

Home as a super invasive launcher just isn't going to fly.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The masses of azzes who love FB will flock to it and giddily enjoy it until they wake up and realize their every move is tracked, targeted, and sold. Yeah Google does it and it doesn't bother me. I get a crap load of free services from them and I am willing to trade it off. FB on the other hand is far more invasive, intrusive and unsavory. They bend you over then ask permission to take your wallet after they already have it in their hands.

zippero

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Tizen already has the entire Android app market because it runs all Android apps, plus HTML5, Java, and Tizen's own native apps. Samsung is stealing/co-opting via Tizen the entire already-developed Android app ecosystem from underneath Google, which subverts Android even more than what Facebook just did with Facebook Home. Again, a servant cannot serve two masters. Android cannot serve both Samsung and Google forever as people here naively believe. 5 years ago, Samsung and Google needed each other's software and hardware, respectively, to challenge Apple, but times have changed, and for reasons of ambition on both sides, both now want to go solo. Samsung would pursue Tizen even if Motorola stayed feckless forever because Tizen allows it to steal the already-developed Android app ecosystem from Google, control its own joint Tizen/Android ecosystem independent of Google, and finally gain the respect it has long sought in the tech world as something more than just a low-margin Asian hardware/components maker subject to boom-bust cycles. By having its own software and sticky app ecosystem and brand, which increasingly displace Google's on Galaxy homescreens, Samsung can become a half-trillion dollar company like Apple and earn higher Apple-like margins because of software and services, something no Japanese or Korean company has ever successfully transitioned to before. For Google's part, because Samsung earns all the profits in the Android world and Google still earns far more from iOS than Android despite Android's much-bigger market share and Facebook just showed the whole world via Facebook Home how to effectively neuter Android from within as an advertising driver to Google, Google had to ax Andy Rubin (who turned Android into a liability for Google) and Google has now subsumed Android into Chrome OS, over which Google has much more control and which Larry Page has always personally favored.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo