HTC One or Galaxy S4

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
In all fairness, with the release of Jelly Bean and even Ice Cream Sandwich, you cannot do much in Android with the an SD card anymore; unless you root your phone. Not since Gingerbread could you load your apps on your SD card (again, unless you rooted your phone). I have a 64 GByte mircoSDHC card in my Note 2 and, honestly, the thing I find myself using it for most is as an extra drive for my computers, especially when transferring files between them.

And speaking of honesty, I hate iPhones but my wife loves them (see my screen name) but I cannot think of a single occasion where her phone battery died when she needed to use it. Although she is not on it constantly playing music and watching movies (that's what her iPad is for), she is probably a typical iPhone user at least and the lack of a removable battery has not been a detriment to her.

Honestly, I fear that the HTC One may be the future of Android: no SD card (or memory expansion of any sort) and a non-removable battery. In other words, Android is becoming more and more like the iPhone. And I for one, am not looking forward to it: look at my screen name.

I have a sh-t ton of music. How else to carry it all around? My phone doubles as my mp3 player.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My SD card will always be able to hold my 25GB of MP3s and some video...whereas my internet connection and data plan may not always be able to stream Pandora for me!
I have a sh-t ton of music. How else to carry it all around? My phone doubles as my mp3 player.

In fairness to both of you, I should have been more clear. Yes, you can still do things with an SD card for your phone. More memory is better, period: I think we all agree. My argument is that, as it seems that you can do less and less with an SD card (again, for example, you can no longer load your applications on an SD card with the latest versions of Android), then I fear that more and more manufacturers will omit them. Again, for me (and I do admit that everyone is different), the major thing that I find myself using the SD card in my Note 2 for is to transfer files to and from my computer.

And I use the example of my wife and her 64 GByte iPhone 5. She has a ton of video, music and lectures on her phone and still has plenty of space. My argument is not that there is no need for an SD card; my argument is that with phone coming with up to 64 GBytes (and soon, maybe even more) of memory built-in, then the need for an SD card becomes less and less. An honest question to both of you but if your phones had 64 GBytes of built-in memory, how much if any, more memory would you need?

No having written the above, let me add that I personally like having an SD card (well, technically, a microSDHC card) for my phone. I hope I made that clear in my original post. But in practice and in looking at the future of the market and the Android operating system, I fear the lack of memory expansion (and a replaceable battery) may be the future.

And no, I personally do not like it.

go3go

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
If you can wait....wait and play around with both of them. I also recommend you writing down what is really important to you from a smart phone and deciding not by brand but by features.

Probably the best advice. Worked quite well for me.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
so i have an upgrade im looking towards using, the HTC one is a beautiful phone thats really growing on me, but I would love to get a GS4 at the same time, so what do you guys think? hold out till possibly may to get the Galaxy S4 or wait another 2 weeks and get the HTC One? decisions decisions

I personally would wait for the S4. If you get the HTC One, you're gonna ask yourself "why in the hell didn't I wait?" Lol

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Neither. Played that game with the S3. I will hold out until the note 3 for my daily driver! I just cannot see myself replacing my note 2.

32 GB is enough internal storage. I am getting by with 16GB on my Nexus 4 and it is easier than I thought with drive, box and drop box but they are not really as good as device storage.

Sent from my Nexus 4

UPDATED: after taking my Nexus 4 on spring break...16GB i not enough and the cloud is not really a substitute for more storage or micro SD card. It is slow and time consuming to use and to transfer media to and from. Put me down for at least 32 GB and preferably with a micro SD card slot...

Last edited:

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I am in same boat but I have once ip4s,1ip4( daughters) an old black Berry LOL and the galaxy captivated thats shook kicking butt!!
I have Salk upgrades and after using the nexus and galaxy... I'm debating.I would washout for galaxy4... Over get htc one plus x IDK.
Note is on my mind.I almost grabbed the s3.... Still awesome=)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Just had a thought, even nearly a year on the S3 still (in terms of features) holds id say top place, now what about the S4? Its most likely it will have more than what the S3 has. Im definitely looking forward to this

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also looking at these two devices. I have a motorola photon, and I want jellybean. To be honest, other than the os, I'm happy with the photon. But motorola treated photon owners very badly, and I won't be buying another phone from them for a while.

The new galaxy is an obvious choice, and is bound to get upgrades. But the htc one is a very sexy device, and you do spend a lot of time looking at and fondling your phone. ;) And I like that the one isn't any wider than my current phone. Phones are getting to big for my pockets.

I plan to wait and see what's available. But the odds are it will be one of these two.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Something about a non-accessible battery and no external sd card slot turns me off of any device without them. So simple to have......

Apparently, an external sd card complicates how android works, and creates security issues. It is android architecture, not manufacturers being cheap, that is driving expandable memory from the market.

I do need enough on-board memory to hold my music, since I don't always have access to the cloud. I have to sewed what I an using now, I bet 64gb is plenty.

As for a removable battery... I thought I needed that, and bought some spares for the photon, but I've never swapped my battery out during the day. So maybe I don't need that as much as I thought. So long as it can be replaced when it gets old and doesn't hold a charge well I think I'm okay with a hard-to-access battery, so long as it holds a day's juice.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
An honest question to both of you but if your phones had 64 GBytes of built-in memory, how much if any, more memory would you need?

Another 32GB probably. I have more than 64GB in mp3 files, and I likes me some room for videos -- both to record and to watch.

NoNoiPhone4me

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Apparently, an external sd card complicates how android works, and creates security issues. It is android architecture, not manufacturers being cheap, that is driving expandable memory from the market.

I do need enough on-board memory to hold my music, since I don't always have access to the cloud. I have to sewed what I an using now, I bet 64gb is plenty.

As for a removable battery... I thought I needed that, and bought some spares for the photon, but I've never swapped my battery out during the day. So maybe I don't need that as much as I thought. So long as it can be replaced when it gets old and doesn't hold a charge well I think I'm okay with a hard-to-access battery, so long as it holds a day's juice.

I agree with everything you just wrote but, to be honest, I don't like it. Although I really don't need them, I am going to miss the ability to replace my batteries (or better yet, buy an aftermarket extended battery) and add additional memory to my phone using an external SD card but I think those two features in Android phones are going the way of the dodo bird.

The only "hope" I have is that, with the introduction of 1920x1080 resolution phone screens, some people are going to insist that they be able to store and play HD movies on their phones. When people start wanting that, then maybe there will still be a market and the need for additional (and removable) storage. Either that, or phones with at least 128 GBytes of built-in storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez