S4 has horrible Pentile Matrix Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
What I don't like about AMOLED screens is that whites aren't white and the ghosting. Blacks look great, and colors pop, but the whites look horrible. At least on my old Galaxy Nexus, and nothing like seeing a blueish ghosting where the notification bar is when watching videos. I'll stick with LCD screens until that gets fixed, if it can.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Dude do you work for Samsung? Geez

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

I would defend htc just the same. Just happens we are in a S4 thread. .....Samsung is a customer of ours I have a vested intrest BUT, my point stands regardless if you bash quality of Samsung you need to bash the other phone manufactures based on what you said the issues are.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
What I don't like about AMOLED screens is that whites aren't white and the ghosting. Blacks look great, and colors pop, but the whites look horrible. At least on my old Galaxy Nexus, and nothing like seeing a blueish ghosting where the notification bar is when watching videos. I'll stick with LCD screens until that gets fixed, if it can.

This happens because blue is the weakest material and degrades quickly. In order to slow the degradation project process the build architecture of the screen is optimized to blue and if you look at the pixels under a microscope you will see that the Blue pixels are larger to extend lifetime.

The ghost is actually degraded blue material in that area. These pixels are darker then the blue pixels that didn't degrade uniformally with the rest of the screen.

As the technology develops these things will improve. We already have developed materials that last longer they just have not reached the devices yet.

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I would defend htc just the same. Just happens we are in a S4 thread. .....Samsung is a customer of ours I have a vested intrest BUT, my point stands regardless if you bash quality of Samsung you need to bash the other phone manufactures based on what you said the issues are.

I understand other manufacturers have issues.. my DNA has a SIM card issue. My Motorola DX2 had a terrible camera. My droid eris was terrible. But my history with Samsung was worse. End of story. You guys act like Samsung is the end all be all. Just another smartphone...

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
This happens because blue is the weakest material and degrades quickly. In order to slow the degradation project process the build architecture of the screen is optimized to blue and if you look at the pixels under a microscope you will see that the Blue pixels are larger to extend lifetime.

The ghost is actually degraded blue material in that area. These pixels are darker then the blue pixels that didn't degrade uniformally with the rest of the screen.

As the technology develops these things will improve. We already have developed materials that last longer they just have not reached the devices yet.

And until that time comes, I will stay away from AMOLED screens. LCD has it's drawbacks but the ghosting destroys the screen no matter how great the colors are or how bright and crisp.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Well I had two older flip phones (v205 and SCH-A900) and a R225 and C207 that didn't hold up very well. I understand that's a whole different category. Also had a LCD TV that lasted two years. Wife had a SGSII that had to be replaced three times before we wound up just getting her an iPhone 4S. Did every one literally fall apart? No, but I had an issue with every one of them so I just used a generalization to state that I am not impressed with their product quality at all.

Need anymore details?

Ah. I was right. That's always the way it goes. Samsung has completely changed from when you had your flip phones. Generalizations are fine for you, but you're doing yourself a disservice by giving up on them entirely because you chose a low quality phone 8 years ago. Like you said yourself, that's a totally different category than what we're discussing now.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Dude do you work for Samsung? Geez

Ha ha ha ha. He nails HTC to the wall and your response is "do you work for Samsung?" weak dude. Especially when you're defending HTC to the death when pretty much no one is trashing them like you're trashing Samsung. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha ha ha. He nails HTC to the wall and your response is "do you work for Samsung?" weak dude. Especially when you're defending HTC to the death when pretty much no one is trashing them like you're trashing Samsung. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Then come to find out Samsung is a client of the company DroidXcon works for. So, yeah, valid question.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Then come to find out Samsung is a client of the company DroidXcon works for. So, yeah, valid question.

I have been saying the whole time that Im on the team that develops oled molecules, I never tried to hide that. And also I wasn't trying to bash htc I was just pointing out that all brands have similar problems

But yeah it was valid

john58543

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Well this conversation has become meaningless. I'm not an HTC poster child....just said I prefer them over Samsung. Yes, I did say screw Samsung which is pretty to the point. But that's how I feel about them and at the end of the day I really don't care if you think my reasoning is hypocritical or not. I didn't ask for your opinion...I honestly wish Motorola would produce a little better camera so I could support an American company...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So, here we are. I guess the s4 screen is going to be awesome. Thank you droidxcon for good insight into amoled tech. Without that, this thread is uninformative. Thank you sir.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been saying the whole time that Im on the team that develops oled molecules, I never tried to hide that. And also I wasn't trying to bash htc I was just pointing out that all brands have similar problems

But yeah it was valid

I know. And to be fair, I knew well before this thread. I was simply pointing it out because some people missed that post.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Since the note 2 it's not bad at all. People are amazed with my note 2 screen.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

I was really surprised by the GN2. That screen is excellent. And I use the S3 and DNA. Don't get caught up in the pixel wars. Once you can't see the difference from normal usage distance, there is no difference. Except to the hardware which needs more grunt to push the pixels. I don't care much how the screen looks under magnification. That's not how you'll use it.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well I had two older flip phones (v205 and SCH-A900) and a R225 and C207 that didn't hold up very well. I understand that's a whole different category. Also had a LCD TV that lasted two years. Wife had a SGSII that had to be replaced three times before we wound up just getting her an iPhone 4S. Did every one literally fall apart? No, but I had an issue with every one of them so I just used a generalization to state that I am not impressed with their product quality at all.

Need anymore details?

I've had multiple Samsung products and love them. But I have to ask... if you have such bad luck with Samsung products... and according to you they are crap... WHY DO YOU KEEP BUYING THEM?!?!?!?!

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I guess my eyes are good then, when i went to the Verizon store to add another phone to my account,they had the Iphone 5,galaxy s3,note2 and the DNA lined up, all where playing movies,and the one that drew me in was the DNA it looked more lifelike,i cannot speak for everyone but,i could tell without a magnifying glass.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess my eyes are good then, when i went to the Verizon store to add another phone to my account,they had the Iphone 5,galaxy s3,note2 and the DNA lined up, all where playing movies,and the one that drew me in was the DNA it looked more lifelike,i cannot speak for everyone but,i could tell without a magnifying glass.
People that claim the S3 has the best screen on the market have never seen it against the DNA. Until the HTC One hits, the HTC DNA has the best screen on the market.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh....the good ole Pentile sucks thread....don't yall just love these? lol

The 2 comparison pics on here between Amoled and LCD, Pentile vs non Pentile... .....looking at it on a Pentile phone.....Maxx HD.....I still have yet to see what all the fuss is about. I dont know about yall....but I rarely look at things on my phones zoomed in 1000x. My normal viewing distance is between 1ft thru 1ft, 8 inches from my eyes, head. That's elbow bent at 1ft, still bent at 1ft, 8 inches. Yes I have measured it after all the Pentile debates over the past few years....lol.

Post #23....if thats the icons on phones....even looking at that post on my phone its zoomed in alot bigger than in normal use.

Post #3...lol....the bottom giraffe looks blurry on my phone, you can see more detail in the top pic on my phone. Just saying..... Wish I had my replacement Rezound.....cuz I know it would still look the same....even on that phone.

I ask yall to look at these posts on your phone...then come back and tell us what you think. I have a 23" 1080p monitor....every Pentile vs non Pentile pic is gonna look bad on it. On my phone....a totally different story. On most folks phones its gonna tell a different story.

To this day I still see Bionics on display....and comparing it to my current phone or other phones in the store....Pentile issues is waaaaaaaay, waaaaaaaay over blown. Preference, I get that. We are all different, see things, dont see things, dont use our phones at the same viewing distances.......I get that.

Its seriously not as bad as its made out to be by folks online. Like with most things.....real world use, seeing it in person will tell a better picture, a truer picture.

I forgot to add....that giraffe pic....that was real strange showing a pic of the Galaxy S1 vs the iPhone 4....in a thread about the GS4...saying it made a difference last year. Last year was 2012 not 2010....

Last edited:

shorobor

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
To be clear here, 1080p PenTile (441 ppi) is actually still sharper than Retina (326 ppi). It's even sharper than the Blackberry Z10 (355 ppi), which is significantly sharper than the iPhone 5.

1920 x 1080 at 4.7", 3 subpixels per pixel - 811 subpixels per inch (HTC One)

1920 x 1080 at 5", 2 subpixels per pixel - 623 subpixels per inch (Samsung Galaxy S4)

1280 x 768 at 4.2", 3 subpixels per pixel - 615 subpixels per inch (Blackberry Z10)

1136 x 640 at 4", 3 subpixels per pixel - 565 subpixels per inch (iPhone 5)
ummm ..... :confused:
shouldn't it be like....
iPhone 5: 326ppi @ 3 subpixels/pixel/inch = 978
SGS4: 441ppi @ 2 subpixels/pixel/inch = 882

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member