Samsung Galaxy S4=Total Fail?

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
People's expectations are too high for Samsung... Theyre currently the leader in the smartphone markt, and yet the upgrades are so minor
which is not a good thing,like Apple they start to feel they do not have to innovate to sell millions,as a consumer you need a competitive product to keep these companies creating new and cutting edge devices.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
It may seem like a small upgrade but compare the differences between the 4S and 5 then the differences between the S3 and S4. The S4 has more improvements over its predecessor than the iPhone 5 even if most of them are software features only a few people will use regularly. At least Samsung is trying to innovate a bit.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

Plazmic Flame

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there is a problem with adding features, you have options, it's called choice. You can turn it on or turn it off. For me, I'm at a point where I'm ready to upgrade and the GS4 was on my list of devices to look out for. Unfortunately, I won't be using it for my upgrade simply because I don't believe the battery is enough. Especially given the size of the device, it should have had a 3,000+ mAh battery.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but think you only made this cause you somehow took personally the fact that someone made this kind of topic for the One and couldn't rest until you avenged your precious phone.

1) Why wouldn't someone want that in their cell phone camera? There are pictures posted that were taken by the S4, and they look good so there's your answer. I love how you criticize Samsung's way of making a better camera but act like the One's is way better without saying why. Obviously you're grasping for straws with this one. Also, you talk about file size for the pictures/ Uh, you realize you can put them on a PC when the memory starts getting low or you know get a damn SD card because UNLIKE the One, the S4 has expandable memory.

2) There is a 99.99999999% chance you have NEVER used the air gestures so you saying they;re crap has no credibility whatsoever. You wanna talk about don't listen to Samsung? How about we don't listen to HTC about having BeatsAudio in the One cause honestly they mention it so much like it's the first phone to have it which is far from true.

3) The point of an octo-core processor is that it's there for people who want it. Honestly, you act like Samsung has insulted you for giving that choice. If you don't like it then get the quad-core version and quit whining about such a stupid argument.

4) Have you seen the screen? Whether or not it's the best screen will vary from person to person, but to say it can't compete to the iPhone 5 alone proves you are nothing but a shameless Samsung hater that will talk crap just for the sake of showing off your blind hate. Jerry had some hands-on time with it and said it looks amazing, you haven't. Who do you think people should believe? Especially since the rest of your arguments are thinner than a piece of tissue paper that's been rubbed over with grease.

5) Just because you don't think they're useful DOES NOT in any sense make it true. Some people may find them useful, it's up to you to decide what's innovative and what isn't. Get over yourself. I bet you'd flip out if someone were to say that the One had no innovation in it either.

There you go, every single one of your arguments have been picked apart with absolutely no difficulty. And honestly, I pity everyone that has read your post because personally I think reading it gave me cancer.

Show me where Jerry had hands on time with it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Everybody thinks this phone is going to be SO great! Sure i wanted to like it but its hard to like it with what it even looks like now. They should just call it the Samsung Galaxy s3s because all it is is a tiny update

1. 13MP camera? First of all who needs that on a cell phone. Phones are not desinged to take huge pictures its just going to clump up the file size. Anybody who wants realy pictures should get a real point and shoot. I personally will stick with the great HTC One line for a camera or even a 808 PureView

2. Air gestures and all that other crap to wave your hand over the phone. Theyre crap. sure they will be useful for a week but then they wont be used ever again. Also the whole 'working with gloves' thing is pointless i have thick motorcycle gloves that work on any phone i have used and they are trying to advertise it as a new feature.. Dont listen people!

3. Whats the point of an octo core processer?!?! nothing but sucking your battery is what its for. My computer doesnt even have an octo core processor and can play many games at the highest quality possible. Octo core processor is just samsungs way of feeling cooler, when it doesnt do anything different for the phone.

4. Contrary to popular belif the design HAS NOT changed. I will admit when my contract was up i wanted a note 2 but when i picked it up it felt like a fisher price toy. All they did with the new one was keep the same design and made a slightly larger screen. WHOO HUGE CHANGE! not.. ill stick with a 4.7 inch screen because even with my huge hands, 5 inches is idiotic. And from a screen standpoint it just cant compete with even the iphone 5

5. no new USEFUL features. I have seen NO innovation from this phone. HTC announced the One would have an ir blaster and look what the S4 did.. stole the idea. Good job sammy

As we all know the phone will sell well, there is no disputing that since samsung has great marketing. But i for one will not be getting this phone

Ok, so I see what you are saying here. You would rather carry a dedicated camera everywhere you go no matter what you are doing, great I am glad that works for you. It doesn't however work for everyone else and that is why so many options exist in the Android world and you are entitle to choose your best device based on your needs. It doesn't however make the GS4 a total fail.

Air gestures, are part gimmick, but I can actually see the useful nature of them and I have the choice of using them or not so again it doesn't make the GS4 a total fail.

Octo processor is not a 8 core processor like stuffing a 1000bhp egine into a Buggatti. It does however offer the abiliity for a quad core low cpu processor to do the work when only a little processor is needed and there fore use less power and save on battery life and then match it with another quad core high cpu processor for the big stuff (gaming,etc) and that will affect battery life but its a trade off. So again I don't see the GS4 as a total fail.

Finally we arrive at design. We are accustomed to seeing new phones every time a mfg rolls them off the assembly line with new skins, new bodys, new whatever they do to them. Auto mfg's get by on a 3-4 year cycle, Apple gets by doing it every 2 years with ZERO CHANGE and they are not affected by it and they don't even innovate year over year and what they launched last year (Maps = Fail, Passbook = Fail, quality control = Fail). So why can't Samsung slightly refine a new design and slightly change the aesthetics and offer more features under the hood and out do even Apple in that dept. So again I don't see the GS4 as a total fail.

Now I could be wrong on all of these points and you could be right, or your post asking if it was a total fail? what was meant to illicit conversation on these very points. I am not saying you are right or wrong, but that you have opinions on them and that is beneficial for further conversation and dialogue.

jasongeiger

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why I am wasting my time with this but the galaxy note 10.1 has an ir blaster as well as the new note 8.

Sent from my SCH-I605

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The 13 megapixel sensor on the S4 would create too large of a file so you'd rather go with the 41 megapixel sensor on the 808 PureView?

The PureView produces 8.x MP images by default, IRC. It does this by using Pixel binning from a 41MP sensor. Practically one uses the Purview to take 41MP images, so I fail to see what your (obvious failure to make a) point is... In addition, the Purview has, IIRC, Optical Zoom and other niceties that this camera doesn't have.

Samsung's cameras has always been average at best in their smartphones, even going back to the S and S2. Going to 13MP doesn't really improve anything. Samsung has been needing to improve their low light performance for years and it seems their priorities are still "bigger/more is better," which simply isn't the truth.

I will say this was probably the most forgettable launch from Samsung that I can recall. Literally don't remember much from it nor did I even bother to follow the live blogs. They've become totally predictable these days...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I see what you are saying here. You would rather carry a dedicated camera everywhere you go no matter what you are doing, great I am glad that works for you. It doesn't however work for everyone else and that is why so many options exist in the Android world and you are entitle to choose your best device based on your needs. It doesn't however make the GS4 a total fail.

A dedicated camera, even Samsung's cheap 150-229 cameras, will produce 14-16MP images that blow this smartphone away form image quality while offering much better ISO sensitivities and dominating a GS3/4 in low light performance. The only reason why Samsung could make a case for the Galaxy Camera (bested by the Purview 808 in many tests) was because their smartphone cameras aren't all that great.

What people want to see is for Samsung to stop bumping specs for no reason other than they can and improve areas where smartphone photography has traditionally been weak. HTC, Apple, and Nokia are all innovating there. Samsung is still doing nothing but bumping specs like they have no clue. If anyone wanted a they've been out for almost/over a year and those phones would have sold like hotcakes.

What people want are better image quality. Better low light photography. Faster shutters (including at night). And they want to do it in a way that does not cause them to eat much even more of their data plan.

Carriers will love this phone, though! Those with Tired plans, at least.

ThisTechBoi

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
753d34b24f1a0d18d001429d0c16c760

Wise words...

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
A dedicated camera, even Samsung's cheap 150-229 cameras, will produce 14-16MP images that blow this smartphone away form image quality while offering much better ISO sensitivities and dominating a GS3/4 in low light performance. The only reason why Samsung could make a case for the Galaxy Camera (bested by the Purview 808 in many tests) was because their smartphone cameras aren't all that great.

What people want to see is for Samsung to stop bumping specs for no reason other than they can and improve areas where smartphone photography has traditionally been weak. HTC, Apple, and Nokia are all innovating there. Samsung is still doing nothing but bumping specs like they have no clue. If anyone wanted a they've been out for almost/over a year and those phones would have sold like hotcakes.

What people want are better image quality. Better low light photography. Faster shutters (including at night). And they want to do it in a way that does not cause them to eat much even more of their data plan.

Carriers will love this phone, though! Those with Tired plans, at least.

OK let me get this straight.

According to you, all people want is better camera image quality and that's it? And that incremental spec bumps are for no reason? Am I right?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Not everyone buys a smartphone soley for it's camera. Some people buy them for seemless integration with their ecosystem. Some buy them for form factor. Some buy them for their svelt productivity. And yes, some buy them for bragging rights due to its specs. I for one buy a smartphone for all the examples I mentioned but I need my phone to be what it's meant to be in the first place.....a phone. Having a camera added on is great for those "in-a-pinch" shots but by no means will a smartphone camera ever...EVER...take the place of a good point-n-shoot or DSLR. As for specs go, I applaud Samsung for at least adding something useful....they could have just added an extra row of icons and called it a day.

Now to tell you how I really feel about your post......Buying a smartphone for camera specs only has got to be stupid at best. Kinda like buying a new car only because its got a radio with Sirius built in. To **** with how it runs. To **** with comfort. To **** with price and form factor....but for the love of god....its got SIRIUS!!! WooHoo!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87