How Much Room Is Really Left on the 16gb version?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had an iP5 64GB and easily had 20GB worth of apps on it and on the Android side it would be less but still not enough to get me to accept a 16GB with only 9.9GB free. IF you remove all the bloatware how much room do you really have left? I wanted to know how much crap was added by AT&T & Samsung.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The rom image size per some xda folks is almost 1.3 gb more than the S3. Once installed, that would bridge why it is about 2gb more than the S3 stock rom.

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt most users will be happy with 9 GB. This is just Samsung being cheap just like the reason they use cheap plastic for their cases.

I don't think its Samsung. The carriers are only offering the 16GB models. IF they hold to this practice I see an opening for Amazon, Radio Shack, etc. to offer the 32Gb and possibly the 64GB as a niche seller. IF the market is there they will offer them.

I hope. :)

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
When you folks root a phone basically you're reloading Android with the bloatware ripped out, right? Is it possible to replace the internal 16GB chip with larger 32GB chip and then root it?? Of is that not even a consideration? I mean we do that with PC's all the time.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think its Samsung. The carriers are only offering the 16GB models. IF they hold to this practice I see an opening for Amazon, Radio Shack, etc. to offer the 32Gb and possibly the 64GB as a niche seller. IF the market is there they will offer them.

I hope. :)

If I go by Att and Verizon store managers, there are no 32gb Qualcomm models right now and Samsung pushed the 16gb first and only, to maximize inventory for launch.

Still does not mean we will see a 32gb, but that is the excuse for now. I see reports of people having Octa 32s, but that is it.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Just buy a 32GB SD card for $25 on Amazon. You can store all of your music and files on there and then only have Apps stored on the phone. I have 55 Apps of various sizes installed right now and it only takes up 4 GB of storage. HD Widgets and Chrome are my biggest Apps and they take up about 65 MB of space each.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
When you folks root a phone basically you're reloading Android with the bloatware ripped out, right? Is it possible to replace the internal 16GB chip with larger 32GB chip and then root it?? Of is that not even a consideration? I mean we do that with PC's all the time.

Root access just grants superuser permissions to you, the user. Thus giving you access to modify/add/remove system files.

No there is no way to physically remove and replace your phones internal storage. If you have root access however, there is a universal script floating around that switches your internal storage to external storage if you have an sdcard (only use it on class 10s).

For instance if you use this script in a phone with 16gb of storage and an sdcard with 32gb. Your internal storage will be 32gb and your external will be 16gb.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just buy a 32GB SD card for $25 on Amazon. You can store all of your music and files on there and then only have Apps stored on the phone. I have 55 Apps of various sizes installed right now and it only takes up 4 GB of storage. HD Widgets and Chrome are my biggest Apps and they take up about 65 MB of space each.

For you that works, but please do not assume your use as a standard for others. Just a few newer games and a few social apps can eat that space quickly.

Rim85

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I got the 16Gb S4 on Saturday:
total space: 9.62 gb
this is what I have "used" so far:

Apps-2.27gb
pics-576kb
audio-60 kb
downloads-8.0 kb
misc files-3.83mb
avialable space is 6.99gb

+

29.71 Gb on the card

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know about this until it was pointed out on another forum.

hTc gave us 32GB in the One.

I never used on-board storage in my previous Galaxies since I have my 64GB SanDisk Ultra but this is a ****** move by Samsung. My SanDisk is RMA and I only have 8.44GB available left.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder who has 9gb of apps let alone apps they are actually using lol. I do agree with your sentiment about moving stuff around but in regards to media. I like 1 large partition. Sure expandable memory is a great option to have but o prefer not to use it if I don't have to.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

I have a 32Gb S3 with a 64gb ext card - I have almost 7.55gb of apps and I use them all - of course some more than others and two small games (as I don't play much) - I carry most all of my pictures on my internal memory card partition and videos/movies/misl on my external card.

For me a S4 with 32gb is a "minimum" for the way I use it - 64gb would be preferred - also the camera picture files alone will almost double in size from the S4 because it has a 13mp camera vs a S3 with 8mp - yes I know I can move my pictures to the external card, but I have found that the internal card is faster and more stable with less corruption than an external class 10 card - so movies and less critical things go onto my external card.

My .02 cents worth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87