Cannot move apps to SD card with Samsung Galaxy S4

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi everybody just sign up to post something I saw on another forum : "don't cry, samsung did this on purpose and it is a very good thing. You all are very very wrong and take the wrong conclusions. Did one of you actually put the main memory 16GB to the max and saw what happened after that??? Noooooooooo, just bashing on Samsung without knowing that if the main memory is full, it will automaitically store your data to the external SD card. The option to choose to put pictures, video and music right away on the external card is because you can take it out and use it in another device. Apps are mostly device specific. The main memory will also be the fastest to run data from it, so Samsung made the right decision to put everything on the main memory first

So crying babies, wipe your tears. Apps2SD is not a neccessity anymore, Samsung renovates stuff, so' don't cry if you have only 1 kb of your main memory left... run to buy a Sandisk micro Sd at your local store and you will be fine. You don't have to root your Sammy
That mean after the internal memory is full all apps you download after that will go directly to sd card that mean good news .

Is this meant to be a sarcastic post sans the ;) ?

There is only 8 to 9gb free for apps. Even if you put all media on the card that still means 8 to 9gb for apps. For a lot of people that is not enough since there are a lot of games and some social apps that take over 1.5gb each in the app storage.

BTW, the storage is lower for the user, since Android needs 500mb to 1gb free in order to update apps and avoid data crashes for larger cache driven apps- not 1kb.

Please respectfully stop with the high horse misdirection. The compliants about storage are legit. Especially for people that have no option to get larger storage models.

Khun_tilt

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree with you. My HTC Sensation is post ICS instal and the option to move apps to SD still exits and works lika it should. So whilst Google may have altered the defaults in the OS it seems manufacturers can override this if they choose to. Samsung clearly chooses not to.

Khun_tilt

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
"I was under the impression that Google did away with the ability to natively move apps to sd in ics" The key word there is 'natively'. This just means it is up to manufacturers to include it in their phone firmware. My old HTC Sensation with ICS still has this feature.

Khun_tilt

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
This may be off the subject, but consumers also want higher horsepower in automobiles when in fact they should be concerned instead with torque if they want a 'fast car'. But, give the consumer what he/she wants, right? :)

It is off topic. It's also incorrect. Torque relates to force. A automobile with high HP but relatively low torque will go fast but not have the "grunt" to tow a trailer. e.g. Subaru WRX. Very quick but couldn't pull the skin off a custard. To tow you need high torque which is why truck long ago moved to diesel.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
"I was under the impression that Google did away with the ability to natively move apps to sd in ics" The key word there is 'natively'. This just means it is up to manufacturers to include it in their phone firmware. My old HTC Sensation with ICS still has this feature.

That phone shipped with GB though. I think that makes a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Khun_tilt

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Well obviously you don't use high accelerated graphic games in your S4 (apps having 1gb+ or more), some of us would like to utilize galaxy s4's beast of a specs. So Having a 64GB SD Card just won't do if you can't store data apps from games inside it. :mad:

And you're playing games like that on a piddly 5" screen!!

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I'd swear my unrooted GS3 launched from external SD card in ICS. It seems to me that the phone lost that feature in Jellybean.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
And you're playing games like that on a piddly 5" screen!!

Millions of DS and PSP models have smaller displays played happily by people and the Shield has the same size. I use a small game pad and works fine with the S3.

Why put the chipset in the device if no need to play such games? Much cheaper options if no fancy 3d is needed ;)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd swear my unrooted GS3 launched from external SD card in ICS. It seems to me that the phone lost that feature in Jellybean.

Sent from my unrooted 32 GB Polish Samsung Galaxy GT I9300 running 4.1.2.

Nope. The last device I had that did was the Razr a year ago.

decepticlone

May 3, 2013
Visit site
It is off topic. It's also incorrect. Torque relates to force. A automobile with high HP but relatively low torque will go fast but not have the "grunt" to tow a trailer. e.g. Subaru WRX. Very quick but couldn't pull the skin off a custard. To tow you need high torque which is why truck long ago moved to diesel.

Wrong. My 4 cyl Outback will tow up to 2700lb. It has slightly more torque than hp and is pretty quick. My Civic Si has lower torque and thus is slower on takeoff than any awd Subaru with high torque. An automobile with 174hp/174tq will kill the same car with 174hp/132tq all day any day. Sorry, but you're simply incorrect. Once again, it's not your fault, it's a persistent misconception in consumer society just like the storage capacity issue in this thread. My point was ignorance of technical issues sometimes drives demand on certain products.

dakota316

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Can't wait for this update for sure. I read and posted about this earlier. I knew Samsung would cone through in the end.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I just found out that the Samsung update with only allow you to move apps up to 50mb in size. FAIL.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II

mlacunza

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Actually that's not possible, for that reason Samsung is releasing the patch

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S4 usando Tapatalk 2